Who is the biggest bust?

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Who would you guys say is going to be the biggest first round bust?

My pick is Larry Johnson. His stats dropped signifigantly against top competiton.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think the best chances of a bust is who ever the cardinals pick...

I am only kidding about this, but it sure seems like we blow on alot of picks...

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
carson palmer?could fall to the curse of cincy's first rd picks ie. akili smith but who realy knows:confused:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...

I would say:

Palmer is likely the biggest bust if he is drafted by the Bungles. A bad situation to go to.

Honorable mention:

Suggs. I only say this because on this board he has been compared to Derrick Thomas, Lawrence Taylor and Jevon Kearse...those are just off the top of my head.

My bet is that Suggs will be a "nice" player. Maybe 8-10 sacks a year. He just isn't strong enough to be a dominant end. Combine that with his very pedestrian speed and you just don't have the physical talent to be a dominant NFL end.

That isn't saying that Suggs won't be successful, like I said...he just isn't anything close to the hype he is receiving on this board.

OP
OP
General Chaos

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Its hard to say a guy is weak when he is only 20 years old. Boston wasn't super ripped as a rookie. Suggs can add bulk whlie in the NFL. Sorry Chris to keep on jumping on you, but Im a big Suggs fan.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Carson Palmer, hands down. 8 good games in his college career, 30 mediocre ones.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
The biggest bust will be...

Byron Leftwich! He will be the Ryan Leaf/Rick Mirer/Aliki Smith of this year's draft.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Re: The biggest bust will be...

Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
Byron Leftwich! He will be the Ryan Leaf/Rick Mirer/Aliki Smith of this year's draft.

Any supporting evidence there?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Re: Well...

Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
I would say:

Palmer is likely the biggest bust if he is drafted by the Bungles. A bad situation to go to.

Honorable mention:

Suggs. I only say this because on this board he has been compared to Derrick Thomas, Lawrence Taylor and Jevon Kearse...those are just off the top of my head.

My bet is that Suggs will be a "nice" player. Maybe 8-10 sacks a year. He just isn't strong enough to be a dominant end. Combine that with his very pedestrian speed and you just don't have the physical talent to be a dominant NFL end.

That isn't saying that Suggs won't be successful, like I said...he just isn't anything close to the hype he is receiving on this board.

I dont think Palmer going to Cincy is a bad situation for him at all (Assuming they will offer him a decent contract) New Coach-should be much improved defense. A solid OL with a couple of young tackles, A great running back, and a weak division. I think Palmer could do very well t ere if the defense improves and doesnt give up 35 points a game. Remeber at the end of last year they, at least offensively, were a much improved football team. Marvin Lewis should have the defense ready to play and believing in themselves. Granted their WR's leave a lot to be desired!

At worst, Palmer sits behind Kitna for a year and plays next year. Doesnt sound that bad to me.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Re: Re: The biggest bust will be...

Originally posted by SECTION 11
Any supporting evidence there?

Bad legs+drafted by crummy team+Miss Cleo's personal guarentee=BUST!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it isn't hard to say

It isn't hard to say the guy is weak.

Terrance Newman did the 225 lb press 20 times...as a corner...with a shoulder injury.

NFL offensive lineman typically press in the 32-40 range.

NFL defensive ends are typically in the 25-35 range.

Name me one slow and weak NFL end that is a dominant player. You can't because their isn't one. There are positions were strength isn't that big of a deal, but playing in the trenches isn't one of them.

If Suggs is really this weak, he is going to get mauled by guys like Orlando Pace and Walter Jones.

If he isn't this weak, why didn't he redo his bench when he had his second workout?

Lastly, if bulking up 10 pounds...that's 10 pounds of muscle if he has been training like he has...has translated into this weak bench and slow 40 time, then he needs to get back to his college playing weight.

Oh and Boston's added muscle did nothing for him as a receiver. Citing him and watching him regress on the field because he wasn't at his comfort weight is a poor example.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm hoping this will not turn into a Suggs v. Leftwich thread...

If Kyle Boller is taken in the first 20 picks, he will be the bust of the draft. He's Josh McCown with a better arm. He'd need a full time QB Coach just for him, and maybe two years to figure out the pro game. That's fine with a 3rd Round prospect, but lethal for a #1, because people will be begging to put you on the field from day 1.

If Suggs gets 8-10 sacks a season, that'd be perfectly fine by me. He'd be John Abraham, make Wendell and KVB better, and help the entire D not be outsacked by individual players.

Honestly, I also think that Andre Johnson will be another major bust of this draft. The word "upside" has come up too much in the days up to the draft, and if someone takes him in the Top 5, as expected, that team is going to be disappointed. Has "Freddie Mitchell" written all over him...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re: No it isn't hard to say

It isn't hard to say the guy is weak.

Terrance Newman did the 225 lb press 20 times...as a corner...with a shoulder injury.

NFL offensive lineman typically press in the 32-40 range.

NFL defensive ends are typically in the 25-35 range.

Uhmm....Terrance Newman is about 25 years old.....me thinks Suggs will get stronger over the next 4-5 years (Suggs is 20).

And no, most offensive line man bench LESS than the 32-40 range (I fact 40 is near the record).

Ends bench from about 25-30...with 35 being unreal.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: The biggest bust will be...

Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
Bad legs+drafted by crummy team+Miss Cleo's personal guarentee=BUST!

I guess evry NFL scout, GM, Coach etc doesnt have the insight you do. A BUST? puhleeease. The only bust will be is if the Cardinals fail to grab this guy if he is there.

And I have no idea how in the world you are comparing Leftwich to Akili Smith. Other than the color of their skin-which apparently you are hung up on-they are polar opposites as players. Smith is much more athletic than Leftwich. AND THATS IT! Smith was drafted basically for his athletic ability. He wasnt very accurate, didnt put up consitently gaudy numbers in college (outside of senior season). Leftwich is just the opposite:

Excellant completion percentage, strong armed, has done it for many years while leading his team to winning seasons. Has shown the ability to play through pain, has excellent leadership abilities, etc etc

Lots of people the year before last on this board laughed when I said the Cardinals should make a trade and go grab Michael Vick with the #1 pick. All I heard was "hes just another Kordell Stewart" People you need to look past the obvious stereotypes and see the talent!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
General Chaos

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
My other pick to be a bust is Boss Bailey. He looks like a great athlete but he is not that great of a football player. LB's need to be firery and intense, neither of which describe Bailey.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
I'm hoping this will not turn into a Suggs v. Leftwich thread...

If Kyle Boller is taken in the first 20 picks, he will be the bust of the draft. He's Josh McCown with a better arm. He'd need a full time QB Coach just for him, and maybe two years to figure out the pro game. That's fine with a 3rd Round prospect, but lethal for a #1, because people will be begging to put you on the field from day 1.

If Suggs gets 8-10 sacks a season, that'd be perfectly fine by me. He'd be John Abraham, make Wendell and KVB better, and help the entire D not be outsacked by individual players.

Honestly, I also think that Andre Johnson will be another major bust of this draft. The word "upside" has come up too much in the days up to the draft, and if someone takes him in the Top 5, as expected, that team is going to be disappointed. Has "Freddie Mitchell" written all over him...

Good post Kerouac (damn why do I have to agree with you the more I read what you say! :D).

# 1 bust: Boller. Basically was a pretty bad QB his entire career.

# 2 bust: Terrance Newman: Old, bad shoulder, short, overrated.

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by General Chaos
My other pick to be a bust is Boss Bailey. He looks like a great athlete but he is not that great of a football player. LB's need to be firery and intense, neither of which describe Bailey.
interesting,good athlete by all means did you see that footage lastnight on espn when he blocked that kick but i agree poor football player ie that lame ass arm tackle on that qb he sacked in that highlight nfl tonight played :thumbup:

OP
OP
General Chaos

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Do any of you actually like Andre Johnson? He's not my first or second pick but he would be a nice pick up. I would take johnson over trufant.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do any of you actually like Andre Johnson? He's not my first or second pick but he would be a nice pick up. I would take johnson over trufant.

I like Johnson at #15, not at #6. I'd rather have Trufant.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I would take johnson over trufant.

Hell no. Trufant is almost equal athletically, but 1000 times the player right now. If they went head-to-head Trufant would probably only give up 1 catch to Johnson.

Disclaimer: I am exaggerating....

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: The biggest bust will be...

Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
I guess evry NFL scout, GM, Coach etc doesnt have the insight you do. A BUST? puhleeease. The only bust will be is if the Cardinals fail to grab this guy if he is there.

And I have no idea how in the world you are comparing Leftwich to Akili Smith. Other than the color of their skin-which apparently you are hung up on-they are polar opposites as players. Smith is much more athletic than Leftwich. AND THATS IT! Smith was drafted basically for his athletic ability. He wasnt very accurate, didnt put up consitently gaudy numbers in college (outside of senior season). Leftwich is just the opposite:

Excellant completion percentage, strong armed, has done it for many years while leading his team to winning seasons. Has shown the ability to play through pain, has excellent leadership abilities, etc etc

Lots of people the year before last on this board laughed when I said the Cardinals should make a trade and go grab Michael Vick with the #1 pick. All I heard was "hes just another Kordell Stewart" People you need to look past the obvious stereotypes and see the talent!!!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa...before insinuating that I am a racist, read what I wrote...

"Byron Leftwich! He will be the Ryan Leaf/Rick Mirer/Aliki Smith of this year's draft."

So by your twisted logic, am I saying leftwich is only 1/3 African-American? Since I compared him to two Caucasians as well? What a joke! :rolleyes:

The references are to QB's who where very high 1st round picks that crapped-out in the NFL. Race had nothing to do with it!

The fact is that there are two kinds of people on this board, Leftwichers and Suggians. I happen to be a Suggian, so my opinion will be negative in relation to Leftwich. You are a Leftwicher, so be it.

In my opinion (which is the ONLY thing anyone has on this board) Leftwich is a ticking time-bomb. Follow my reasoning for a moment...

Leftwich will be drafted in the top ten, if not the top 5. This means he will be going to a BAD team. Bad teams have bad QB's, so he will start regardless of what anyone says. Look over the course of the past few years, and tell me what happens to starting rookie QB's on bad teams...that's right, they get the snot knocked out of them every single game. He'll get hurt again, in my opinion, and again, and again...I see Leftwich becoming to best one-legged QB in the NFL...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually there is a third type

Trade down and stockpile picks.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Re: Actually there is a third type

Trade down and stockpile picks.

You're right...but they need a cool name too...how about "Sandercrats"?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it should be the

PhuckifIknows

Because phuckifIknow who the Cardinals should take at 6. No one screams "take me" right now, except for Leftwich...but that is only based on potential.

So since no one truely stands out..except the guy I don't believe the Cardinals will take...I say trade down.

OP
OP
General Chaos

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
To counter all the Andre Jouhnson hating about how he can't catch, he was rated as having the second best HANDS in this class by TSN!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05