Who's NBA game does your Rec game compare to?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was brought up in another thread and I figured, just for fun, and since we're all a little tired of talking about Shawn Marion I'm sure, what players in the NBA do you think your rec game compares to? What type of player are you?

Me - I'm gonna say JJ Redick, with the dirtyness of Danny Ainge. If I'm open, I can shoot from anywhere on the court, with the VERY occassional drive to the hoop, yet I'll trip, grab jerseys, throw elbows and do whatever else I cna get away with to frustrate my opponent.

Anyone else?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Great Thread!

Mines going to be Jason Kidd. Bigger PG who can post up and rebound with good dribbling and passing skills but unreliable from outside.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i'll be honest and say oliver miller.

semi-skilled and outta shape. i'll surprise people with a few blocked shots. every once in a while get my lazy ass moving and actually drive by my defender. get rebounds when actually motivated. and i'm actually a pretty good passer. i can handle the ball in the open court, but shouldn't be handling it in traffic. my outside shot is bad - to - streaky at best. i have a semi-effective hook shot.

my god. i'm a white, short, poor man's oliver miller . . . sigh . . .

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of a non shooting Steve Nash - i can give a pass to anyone. I can handle the ball pretty good, penetrate and score on the move using glass. Thou my jumpshot is unreliable at best! also my athleticism and defence pretty much suck.

Last edited:

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
My game resembles a bowling ball. Think 6'2", thick (not really in a good way), absolutely no outside jumper, but can handle the ball and likes to run over people. :D

As far as an NBA player, I'm thinking Antoine Walker minus 8 inches and $100M.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm 6'2 slow with no leaping ability but with really long arms. I can't think of a great comparison but I guess I'll say:

Shooting=Less consistant Q Richardson
Playmaking=Less skilled Marko Jaric
Defense=Casey Jacobsen with some shot blocking
Rebounding=Can't think of anyone in the NBA bad enough to make this comparison

Nash

Reaction score
take this with a sack of salt..

Last edited:

Nash

Reaction score
some more salt..

first time ive thought about a comparison like this. my mind somehow stuck with Diaw and I just cannot recall any other player's name. mental block!
6 ft Diaw, 60-70 lbs lighter

I have a mid range shot that isn't my strongest weapon, like Diaw. but dang ! he's improving on that awfully fast.
like to hang around the baseline area waiting for a pass to make easy layups. not good in heavy traffic..
damn I don't drive as much as I'd like to. got to work on it.

love to scrap for rebounds. don't like to get physical in pick up games because I try to enjoy them and don't elbow anyone.

weirdest quote I heard in a pick up game:
2 yrs back in a pick up game with a bunch of complete strangers in Cincinnati...
this guy was playing way too physical and knocking around people, so as I drove to the hoop I casually said "Easy dude! we're not playing for our lives here"
the dude replies with this totally creepy look on his face
" well maybe we are :devil:".

what made it so weird was that the kid looked like one of those psycho serial killers...chalk white face, evil eyes
he also had this neo-Nazi vibe about him. wow! what an experience!

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Probably Diaw, I dont like to shoot, even though I can penetrate and hit open shots, off balance or spotting up.

I like to make the extra pass, and I surprise a lot with finding open cutters and spotters as I penetrate or dribble the ball...

I am pretty lazy as a rebounder, but some games when I try, I can grab a lot.

I have a strong build, but can move around, so I can play inside and/or outside/mid range.

Defense wise, I find myself able to box out bigger and taller guys, but overall, as my friends and team mates say... Im lazy. lol.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I [am] probably like Amare Stoudamire ... two days after microfracture surgery.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i'll be honest and say oliver miller.

semi-skilled and outta shape. i'll surprise people with a few blocked shots. every once in a while get my lazy ass moving and actually drive by my defender. get rebounds when actually motivated. and i'm actually a pretty good passer. i can handle the ball in the open court, but shouldn't be handling it in traffic. my outside shot is bad - to - streaky at best. i have a semi-effective hook shot.

my god. i'm a white, short, poor man's oliver miller . . . sigh . . .

that's freaking hilarious! I taped Game 5 of the WCF from '93 this morning and watched it today and then after I started this thread, I was thinking about Ouchie and the first thing that popped in my head was 1993 Oliver Miller.

BTW - that 1993 team was unbelievable, especially that game. Basketball was so much more fun to watch back then... EVERYONE ran and took open shots and GASP... made them. Barkley with 43/14/10 and Majerle hitting 8 threes, one of which was from at least five feet behind the line. Of course, our 9 point lead was whittled to one with 20 seconds left before Majerle hit a monster three, but hey, something's never change with this team.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'll say Lenny Wilkins because I was always a player-coach - minus the athleticism, footspeed, shooting et cetera. But passing! I had the complete repretoire - the behind the back or between the legs pass (the receivers' not mine), the shoulda-looked pass, the lookout! pass, the ooooops pass, and the off-the-dribble-and-foot pass. I set lots of picks so as to do something worthwhile. To tell you just how good I was, I organized teams in intramural and church leagues so I got to pick the coach (me) and the coach liked me on the floor. To tell you just how good the leagues were, my teams usually won. Needless to say, it was not a hotbed of basketball - a small farming town in Washington (state).

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
Im like a poor man's mixture of Joe Klein and Danny Schayes. But not as skilled or as coordinated.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Wow I wish Diaw:
I would say Dan Majerle <-- did I just say that??? I never gave him enough credit while being with the Suns.... I played alot of pickup basketball against his brother at North Phoenix Church back in the old days. In those days the games would end with like 60points and Id have 20 of them from fast breaks and 3ptrs.

Actually when I was on a great team of all-star players I only played defense and only got my points from fast breaks and an occasional 3ptr.
We played all over the state in basketball tournaments I didnt even know there were such great tournaments out there til I was nearly 30.
Lots of fun and one thing Ill never forget as long as I live the best players as a unit live in small towns like Prescott, Cottonwood-Sedona thats all those guys do is play nonstop together.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reggie Evans, Malik Rose.

I'm a 5'11" power forward. I have surprisingly good hops and a good frame. I have a decent post up game and take the ball to the hoop strong. My handles and shot have gone to crap since I became a gym rat. It's funny because I used to play point at the Boys and Girls Club and had great vision and handles. Now I'm a physical scrapper and rebounder. My offensive game is pretty ugly now a days. My biggest problem is my bum ankle. :(

Good thread! :thumbup:

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
a very poor man's Marion. I can shoot, get the garbage points, run the fastbreak well, rebound, but im not good at creating off the dribble.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Since this thread really has nothing to do with the Suns, I'll jump in. I've been reading everything carefully, by the way, and would love to post on the Marion rumors. But most of my points have already been made by others, so don't worry, no one's missing anything. :p

Horace Grant for me. Decent shot from the elbows or a step inside the top of the key, pretty good defender, a bit of a rebounding knack, and no flash at all. Of course, that was back when I played. Now I focus on racquetball, which is easier on my ankles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake