Why are NBA championships spread among so few teams?

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ten million dollars of cap relief.

Multiple question marks not needed.

lol.. wait are you actually defending the trade? LOL...

Hope not... That traDE was the worst in NBA history as far as being so BLATENTLY one sided...

ten million dollars in cap relief means NOTHING for memphis.. nothing

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just asked what Kwame was equivalent to. 10 million bucks of salary cap relief.

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
It is astonishing that in the last 27 years, their have only been 8 NBA teams to win the championship.

Lakers (8 times)
Celtics (3 times)
76ers ( 1 time)
Pistons ( 3 times)
Bulls (6 times)
Rockets (2 times)
Spurs (4 times)
Heat (1 time)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Well, I will say I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess perception is different depending on what side of the fence you're on in the Lakers vs Suns debate. To me, I was just defending my team the way any loyal Suns fan would. The only posts that really got rude replies were ones that were rude to begin with, but it's an issue we're not going to agree on. You hate the Lakers, I hate the Suns, that won't change. I'm sorry some people find me to be a "troll" but my dislike is for the rival team, not for the fans of that team. None of us posted a word when the Suns lost, none of us have tried to rub it in, we're not here gloating about the Lakers, etc. Sometimes smack gets tossed around in the heat of the moment, it happens.

I never had a problem with you, the only part of your post that really bothers me is the "sidekick" part. Donald is generally the most vocal of our group, I admit I agree with him 90% of the time, but the rest of us have our own opinions. Doesn't matter though, people will think what they want. I respect your opinion, but I disagree, I think you're taking a few posts a little more harshly because we're laker fans. A lot of smack gets tossed around on this forum, but people don't look at it as much when it's by a Suns fan. Yes, I realize this is primarily a Suns forum, that's why I don't say anything about it, I expect it, and it's fine. Just explaining my side. Good luck to you and your team, I think a lot of us will get along better once football season starts. A lot of us are Cardinal Fans after all, we could use some common ground for a while to chill things out a bit.

We probably still won't like you.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Pre-1970-ish, the dynamics of the league were much different, so not every team drafted their superstar. But in the "modern" NBA, it appears you must draft a superstar to win a title.
The Celtics traded for Bill Russell, the final piece of a dynasty.

The Lakers got Kareem after he, Oscar Robertson and Bobby Dandridge teamed up for the Bucks' only championship. And another dynasty resulted.

See a trend. Go strong at Center, win Championships.

Dallas and Utah have never been committed to that.

It took the Suns 40 years to bring in a Shaquille in the twilight of his career.

It's a step in the right direction. The question is, will the Suns commit to playing Centers 48 minutes per game? Or will it go back to business as usual next season and forever?

Dynasties don't happen to a team. Smartly run teams make them happen.

BTW, will we continue to sell off draft picks? Will we continue to draft the best player regardless of size and need? To play the best 5 regardless of size and need?

I'm not looking for a Suns dynasty. I'm looking for a Suns championship. The D'backs have one. The Mercury have one.

Let's get one. Then take it from there. Is that too much for a fan to hope for?

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It is really hard to get great centers in the draft. Few last past the first give picks and obvious ones rarely get out of the top 2. Many years like this one has a bunch of nice centers, but no super projects. Everybody can use a great center, but they are few and far between.

BTW, the best "center" in this year's draft is Brook Lopez who is more likely to end up as a PF and won't be a real center any more than Amare was a real center.

As it is, the process can be very frustrating. The Bulls trade Brand for the rights to draft Chandler. It seemed like Chander took forever to get good and was no longer even with the Bulls. Too many of the centers picked end up like Darko and K Brown.

It is even harder to trade for a really good young one.