mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mike D'Antoni has Italian tie to draft
By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Wednesday, May 21st 2008, 7:35 PM
You must be registered for see images
Guez/Getty Italy's Danilo Gallinari (l.) is a Mike D'Antoni favorite.

The only thing worse for the Knicks than losing the opportunity to draft Derrick Rose is knowing that the Memphis point guard is sure to end up with an Eastern Conference rival.
Chicago, which scored a stunning upset in winning Tuesday's NBA draft lottery, is expected to select Rose with the first pick. If the Bulls pull off another upset and take Kansas State power forward Michael Beasley, Rose will land in Pat Riley's lap with Miami picking second in the June 26 draft.
In either case, Rose will be off the board when the Knicks are on the clock. But even with the draft's premier player gone, there figures to be a quality guard available at No.6. If either USC's O.J. Mayo or Arizona's Jerryd Bayless falls past the fifth pick, Knicks president Donnie Walsh and new coach Mike D'Antoni will have a tough decision on their hands.
Of the two, Bayless is regarded as the better point guard prospect although both he and Mayo seem more suited to play shooting guard. Indiana's Eric Gordon should also be available.
None of the three is a no-brainer, which creates several scenarios for Walsh. With Stephon Marbury entering the final year of his contract and both Jamal Crawford and Nate Robinson equipped to play in D'Antoni's up-tempo system, the Knicks may look to acquire a point guard - perhaps Toronto's T.J.Ford - via a trade or through free agency. The Raptors are hoping to re-sign Jose Calderon, who like Ford would prefer to start.
The Knicks would love to get their hands on Calderon, but Ford is probably the more realistic option of the two.
If the Knicks don't draft a guard they could opt for Danilo Gallinari, a 6-9 small forward who is playing in his home country of Italy.
He has the skills to thrive in D'Antoni's system. Gallinari's father, Victorio, played with D'Antoni in Italy.
"That was my roommate and teammate for eight years, so obviously there's a connection," said D'Antoni, who also coached in Italy. "But at the same time, I don't know where the scouts are or what Donnie has in mind, so I guess in the next three weeks we'll figure that out."
A Phoenix Suns executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity, predicted that the Knicks will draft Gallinari, who is regarded as the best international prospect in the draft.
D'Antoni's teams in Phoenix featured many prominent foreign-born players, including Steve Nash (Canada), Boris Diaw (France) and Leandro Barbosa (Brazil).
"Mike is in love with his abilities," the executive said of Gallinari. "That would seem to make the most sense."
Gallinari has drawn comparisons to Toni Kukoc. He's being touted as a hustle player with big-time offensive skills who can play either forward position.
Walsh is not ruling out trading the pick, which would be a way for the Knicks to rid themselves of large a contract.
Walsh will try to package the pick with either Zach Randolph or Eddy Curry, which would create cap space for the summer of 2010 when LeBron James and Dwyane Wade become free agents.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...pick_with_big_contract_player_to_shed_salary/

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is surely going to fire up a few on this board.
Reinsdorf sure sounds like a sore loser that missed out on the guy he wanted. Still.....if his quotes of D'Antoni are true then DA's previous comments about believing that his SUNS were a good defensive team further prove his idiocy and B.S. rhetoric.

D'Antoni:
"I know one thing for sure," D'Antoni said. "We averaged 58 wins in four years, so 58 times a year we were the best defensive team on the floor, I do know that."
D'Antoni:
'We haven't played much defense with the Suns because of the personnel we had. I did not think this team could defend.'

Reinsdorf believes focus on 'D' scared D'Antoni

May 24, 2008

FROM SUN-TIMES STAFF REPORTS
Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said today on WMVP-AM (1000) he believes one of the main reasons that conversations with Mike D'Antoni didn't continue was D'Antoni might have been scared off by Reinsdorf's mandate on playing better defense.
Reinsdorf, appearing on the "Waddle and Silvy Show," said if conversations continued he might have made D'Antoni an offer.

You must be registered for see images
Jerry Reinsdorf believes his mandate on better defensive play may have scared Mike D'Antoni away from the Bulls job.

"The Knicks told him they loved him, and they rushed him like you rush for a fraternity, and we hadn't made up our minds," Reinsdorf said. "Is that indecisive? It may be, but this is a pretty important hire. This is a very important hire, particularly the way the Lottery worked out [with the Bulls getting the first draft pick]. I think it's only appropriate that we take our time. He said there was no rush, by the way. Then the next morning he went to the Knicks."

Reinsdorf said his reservation about D'Antoni was "defense."
"The third thing [during the conversation] was the one knock on you is your teams don't play defense," Reinsdorf explained, recounting his interview with D'Antoni. "He said 'We haven't played much defense with the Suns because of the personnel we had. I did not think this team could defend.'
"He had some specific things to say about certain players," Reinsdorf said, then continuing on what D'Antoni said: "'So I decided the only way we were going to win here in Phoenix was to outscore the other guys. With your personnel, we would play defense. I would probably hire a defensive assistant.'"
Reinsdorf beleives what he next told D'Antoni sealed the deal for the Knicks.
"'If you come to Chicago, the only way I see this wouldn't work out would be if we didn't play defense the way you say we're going to play defense,'" Reinsdorf said. "And then I think that scared him. I think that was the closer for the Knicks."
Reinsdorf said it wasn't being indecisive as much as being careful.
"We hadn't decided we wanted Mike D'Antoni to coach the Bulls, so how could we have moved any faster?" he said. "John Paxson told me on Tuesday of that week that [D'Antoni] was someone he had definite interest in and liked him. I told John I was going to be in Phoenix that coming weekend for a family function, and if you want me to, I'll talk to him.
"We got together on a Friday afternoon. I asked him a lot of questions. I was doing serious due diligence. I told him we'd get back in touch with him. The following morning, I talked to Paxson and said 'I'd like to talk to him one more time.' So John called Mike at 9:30 Arizona time that Saturday and said Jerry is going to call you this afternoon.' Mike said 'Fine.' I called him at 10 a.m. and left a message, and then I heard 10:45 over the Internet that he had gone to the Knicks. So obviously he had made his decision to go to the Knicks when he was talking to John Paxson. I think if we had continued our discussions, we probably would have made him an offer."
Reinsdorf didn't say much about Avery Johnson, who said earlier on the station that he's interested in coaching the Bulls.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...reinsdorf_believes_focus_on_d_scared_dantoni/

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
This is surely going to fire up a few on this board.
Reinsdorf sure sounds like a sore loser that missed out on the guy he wanted. Still.....if his quotes of D'Antoni are true then DA's previous comments about believing that his SUNS were a good defensive team further prove his idiocy and B.S. rhetoric.

There are alot of "I think" comments in there. This will probably give those slobbering over Sarver's nuts more ammo, but it sounds like he thinks everyone needs to respect his timelines but can't respect anyone elses.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Reinsdorf said his reservation about D'Antoni was "defense."
"The third thing [during the conversation] was the one knock on you is your teams don't play defense," Reinsdorf explained, recounting his interview with D'Antoni. "He said 'We haven't played much defense with the Suns because of the personnel we had. I did not think this team could defend.'
"He had some specific things to say about certain players," Reinsdorf said, then continuing on what D'Antoni said: "'So I decided the only way we were going to win here in Phoenix was to outscore the other guys. With your personnel, we would play defense. I would probably hire a defensive assistant.'"
Mike D'Antoni was both GM and Head Coach of the Suns. But now he's saying it was the owner's fault that, "We haven't played much defense."; "I did not think this team could defend."; and, to the Bulls owner, "With your personnel, we would play defense. I would probably hire a defensive assistant."

Probably?!? Give me a break, D'Antoni. :bang:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Mike did half the hiring of the squad that cant play defense. Whataschmuck.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
You're right. That was a slam dunk before it happened. I always thought there might have been some tampering involved.

Of course there was. Everyone knows that every time the Lakers get a good player there is some underhanded dealing involved right? :p

On the topic though, does anyone think that LeBrons performance in the playoffs this year might have New York looking at someone else? LeBron really wasn't very good this year in the playoffs. He had that streak where he just shot absolutely horrible. Of course, a player that puts up huge numbers in the regular season, then falls apart in the playoffs might be right up the Knicks alley since their coach only seems to care about regular season wins.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Of course, a player that puts up huge numbers in the regular season, then falls apart in the playoffs might be right up the Knicks alley since their coach only seems to care about regular season wins.

Heh.

I'm not a James fan. He's way too obsessed with telling everyone how great he is and not nearly interested enough in helping his team win. It's hard to call someone "selfish" when he puts up big numbers across the board, but people have been doing it with Marbury for years, so I can do it with James.

I saw the late regular-season game when one of their role players (Gibson?) made a three in the corner to win, and of course they interviewed James, and all he could talk about was how He did the right thing by showing trust in His teammate, and that shows what kind of a leader He is. It was unbelievable.

Every middle-tier talent in the league who has joined the Cavaliers since James's arrival has suffered. First it was Hughes and Marshall, and now it's Szczerbiak. He makes his teammates worse, not better. The league ushered him into the Finals last season because they felt they needed the ratings boost after the Spurs/Suns fiasco, but they aren't going to pave the road for him forever.

When all's said and done, the true champion from the 2003 draft class may well prove to be Chris Bosh.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Lebron is ALL but going to NY. Except not the Knicks.

He's going to Brooklyn. To play for the Nets. Guaran-damn-teed.

You don't think a elite business mind like Sean Carter knows what he has been doing these past few years? And Jigga is the one person Lebron looks up to. It would be like treason if he went to the Knicks instead.

Besides as dysfunctional as the Knicks are theres a good chance DA's not even there anymore in two years. You think he's going to get over 30 wins with Marbury and Curry/Randolph running his system??? LOL

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Heh.

I'm not a James fan. He's way too obsessed with telling everyone how great he is and not nearly interested enough in helping his team win. It's hard to call someone "selfish" when he puts up big numbers across the board, but people have been doing it with Marbury for years, so I can do it with James.

I saw the late regular-season game when one of their role players (Gibson?) made a three in the corner to win, and of course they interviewed James, and all he could talk about was how He did the right thing by showing trust in His teammate, and that shows what kind of a leader He is. It was unbelievable.

Every middle-tier talent in the league who has joined the Cavaliers since James's arrival has suffered. First it was Hughes and Marshall, and now it's Szczerbiak. He makes his teammates worse, not better. The league ushered him into the Finals last season because they felt they needed the ratings boost after the Spurs/Suns fiasco, but they aren't going to pave the road for him forever.

When all's said and done, the true champion from the 2003 draft class may well prove to be Chris Bosh.

I agree with almost every word of this. While I acknowledge James talent, it makes me sick listening to him talk. He takes credit for EVERYTHING, even success of his team mates. A real MVP should give credit to those around him, and be happy for their success. Lebron seems to think that others playing well, diminishes his own importance or legacy, and that's not a good thing. When he came off of that game where he shot 27% and said "A Lebron James team is never desperate," I just wanted to throw up. James is a punk, every year I like him less and less.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Heh.

I would like to add to this that if Lebron was everything we thought he was he would have taken over and won that game in Boston Garden a week ago.

I think with that last line you have to give DWade a little more credit though.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think being allowed to host Saturday Night Live convinced LBJ that he's the new face of the NBA.

Hmmm, I didn't like the original LBJ either, when he turned our Advisors in Viet Nam into a full blown winless war in 1964.

But that's another story.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05