Why does anyone believe

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Marion will probably not be traded, This is a moot point

HooverDam

Reaction score
They probably don't have great trade value, which is fine by me, I want them both on the Suns. Diaw is young and had a sophomore slump, ah well. I think he'll be improved next year. Marion was huge in game 5, and I think is a big part of what the Suns do (but because he doesnt score 25 a night in the playoffs people hate him). I know Marion is overpaid, but that doesn't mean he isn't a key player for Phoenix.

Lets not throw the baby out w/ the bath water here, the SUns are a very good team and take away the suspensions and we'd be getting ready for a game 7 at HOME right now which they'd probably win. Lets hope we can get Atlanta's pick, make a smart move, and that D'Antoni will start using the bench more in the regular season.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Marion doesn't have negative trade value, any teams with cap space or willing to pay a small amount of luxury would be very smart to take him if they want someone who can vault them into the playoffs.

Even playoff east teams like cleveland, nets, orlando etc could solidify their roster during the season and grab enough extra wins (with how it is in the east obviously) to get homecourt and a better roster.

But I don't care about that, marion should only be used in a KG trade and if KG is going to opt out minnesota has nothing to lose getting marion for a few years to get into the playoffs AND also some draft picks.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marion, Thomas and Banks for Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis helps Seattle a lot salary wise.

Marion will most likely opt out after next season to sign his last big contract.

That basically means Seattle gets about 25M$ salaries off of their roster after 2008.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion, Thomas and Banks for Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis helps Seattle a lot salary wise.

Marion will most likely opt out after next season to sign his last big contract.

That basically means Seattle gets about 25M$ salaries off of their roster after 2008.
Interesting.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If we get a high pick, it certainly gives us some good bargaining chips in the fight for KG. I am guessing that Minessota would try to unload somebody else along with KG. Something like Marion, Barbosa, Bell and high pick for Garnett and a stiff or two.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And by the way, if there is an opportunity to get Garnett without touching Nash and Amare- you just have to do it.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yep Marion definately doesnt have negative trade value.

He is still an allstar player, he is in his prime age wise, healthy, will likely opt out of his contact after next season which makes him even if he totally sucked and was done due to injuries a 16M$ expiring contract.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And by the way, if there is an opportunity to get Garnett without touching Nash and Amare- you just have to do it.

Especially since Nash is nearing the end and the clock on Stoudemire's knees is ticking. Now is not the time for the Suns to invest a precious season or two developing young players. If there's an opportunity to cash in the Atlanta pick for an significant immediate upgrade, you have to jump on it, even if it means you're giving up a future star.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
I thought suns signed barbosa for another 5 years for 35 mil? The kid has talent, and performed great in the regular season. No need to get rid of him yet, he's good off the bench, and can provide relief for the starters like bell and nash. People bashing him for losing playoffs makes me wonder where their allegiance is. Sure he missed a couple key shots, but other people/things could have been done different to make up for them.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
We gotta keep barbosa though, give him another year or two and see if he develops a solid enough game to still function against competant defenses like Spurs/detroit/dallas(when they aren't choking) etc.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Especially since Nash is nearing the end and the clock on Stoudemire's knees is ticking. Now is not the time for the Suns to invest a precious season or two developing young players. If there's an opportunity to cash in the Atlanta pick for an significant immediate upgrade, you have to jump on it, even if it means you're giving up a future star.

Absolutely! Especially if they get a chance to grab a player who can take a team on his shoulder and carry them. Garnett, Stoudemire and Nash- that's freaking scary- flat out terrifying.

jpjapes

Registered
Reaction score
Guys just think about the draft... and how those players will help us! we have 3 first round picks!!!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought suns signed barbosa for another 5 years for 35 mil? The kid has talent, and performed great in the regular season. No need to get rid of him yet, he's good off the bench, and can provide relief for the starters like bell and nash. People bashing him for losing playoffs makes me wonder where their allegiance is. Sure he missed a couple key shots, but other people/things could have been done different to make up for them.
Question where there allegiance is? I am up past midnight here posting since I won't be able to sleep.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Guys just think about the draft... and how those players will help us! we have 3 first round picks!!!

Let's not get carried away now- 24 and 29 ain't gonna get you anything more than a semi-decent role player. 4th or 5th pick is important, but let's not get carried away with 24 and 29.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

When you get a chance to get KG, you do it. If it means getting rid of barbosa, #4 pick and whoever else (short of Amare and Steve) you HAVE to do it. Not doing so would just be a crime against basketball.

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
When you get a chance to get KG, you do it. If it means getting rid of barbosa, #4 pick and whoever else (short of Amare and Steve) you HAVE to do it. Not doing so would just be a crime against basketball.

I don't know man...Barbosa just fits in so well with the team. I'm just looking at it from a team chemistry p.o.v.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Garnett is 31 and makes a lot of money. Seriously I think the Wolves would think about Marion/Barbosa/#24 and #29 and a future pick or something like that, without giving up #4.

Not a chance. Why does Minnesota want Shawn Marion? They are taking a huge downgrade in talent and output for Barbosa and 2 late draft picks? Now if you can move Shawn Marion to another team or maybe think you can do it at the trade deadline, and the Phoenix Suns throw in the #4-5 it is a small possibility.

I just don't understand how you can blame everything under the sun on Shawn Marion and talk about how worthless he is and then come out and say that he and Barbosa are employed to get you Kevin Garnett.

No, they can't. Chicago can't make the salaries match unless they include several core players, which they won't do. And the Lakers have only Odom and Bynum, without a high pick to throw in.

If the Suns get the Atlanta pick, they can absolutely make the best offer for Garnett. That doesn't mean they can or that Minnesota would take it, but there is no one who would outbid them and only a few teams who could try even if they wanted to.

Lewis takes too many plays off. I'd rather have someone who does everything this board says Marion does -- specifically, move without the ball, cut to open spots on the floor, and make midrange shots.

Chicago will be about $10 million under the salary cap next year I believe. Maybe it's only about $7 million. That would mean that if they were trading for KG alone they would to give back $8-9 million.

Victor Khyrapa... $1.9 million
Tyrus Thomas... $3.5 million
Chris Duhon... $3.25 million
New York first-round draft pick (top 10)

Perhaps you have to substitute Deng for Tyrus Thomas or Ben Gordon for Chris Duhon.

I agree that the LA Lakers are not going to get Kevin Garnett unless some stupid third team facilitates it.

Joe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Chicago will be about $10 million under the salary cap next year I believe. Maybe it's only about $7 million.

I thought it was about $5 million, but that might be assuming that they keep Sweetney's rights. Maybe they can get to $7 million if they renounce him.

That would mean that if they were trading for KG alone they would to give back $8-9 million.

No, Garnett's salary next season is $22 million. Even if Chicago were $10 million under (which they aren't), they'd have to give out $12 million. You don't get the 25% fudge factor when you're under the cap.

Chicago can't make an offer for Garnett without including Ben Wallace.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Chicago will not trade Thomas or Deng for Marion. Stop dreaming!

The most viable and mutually beneficial trade might be Marion to GS for JRich and Pietrus resigned. Maybe we could also swap Banks with their european shooter from Litauvan plus a pick. We just need to develop where our weakness is and make our team function without having Nash dominating the ball for 40 min a game.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not a chance. Why does Minnesota want Shawn Marion? They are taking a huge downgrade in talent and output for Barbosa and 2 late draft picks? Now if you can move Shawn Marion to another team or maybe think you can do it at the trade deadline, and the Phoenix Suns throw in the #4-5 it is a small possibility.
Joe

Look Marion's contract is basically 2 years 32M$ but he has a player option after next year and will be 30. I'd wager that he opts out especially if he is playing in Minnesota at that point and takes the chance to sign his last "big" contract.

Combine him with Thomas and the #4 and the Wolves get worst case 25M$ cap relief and a #4 pick that can turn into a franchise player.

Even if they don't want Marion at all they could possibly still offload him to a third team for other expiring contracts and picks.

With all the hype starting about guys like Yi I think our pick should we keep it will have huge value as soon as teams realize there are more than 2 franchise players in this draft and you know some teams will certainly identify some for themselves.
Even if not you look at an allstar quality player with a #4 pick.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What no one ever mentions in regards to Marions salary is yes its a liability and its probably the biggest thing affecting his trade value BUT that affect is lessoned when the other trading partner has their own overpaid player to trade. In a trade for Garnett Marions big salary is almost a plus. Why would Marions 16M salary be such a big deal when Garnett is making 22M?

In the right situation Marion has a lot of value.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05