Why Fire D'Antoni? Trade him.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Why should the Suns just buyout D'Antonti and let another team hire? So Sarver can save face and have a scape goat?

Let it be known there will be permission to speak to D'Antoni, and the Suns will release him to another team for compensation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I was suggesting on page 7 of the Bye bye Mike thread. Can anyone remember a coach being traded to another team where draft picks were involved? It seems like it has been done before but I can't find an example.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A team can ask for a draft pick as compensation for being allowed to talk to a coach under contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A team can ask for a draft pick as compensation for being allowed to talk to a coach under contract.

Thank you. Can you or anyone find an example where it's been done.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
If there is a way to give away draft picks, we probly would find it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who is a better coach that is gonna want to come to Phoenix anyway? Honestly?

My thoughts are Phoenix will likely do much worse if they move D'Antoni although I think the strings have been cut already. It sort of reminds me of BC leaving.

IMO the problem is a owner and GM that wanted to pinch pennies and trade players (KT and James Jones) and draft picks to save LT dollars. KT would have been off the books anyway after this season. Essentially the Suns threw in a potentially winning hand. Also Marion might have left after this season or been used for trade bait in the off season to further reduce the LT.

This kindly seems the work of a GM that does what he is told or does not know what he is doing.

Last edited:

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
MIKE D'ANTONI
(on phone)
Shawn? I'm so sorry. I now know how you feel.​

SHAWN MARION
(o.s., phone)
Knowwhutahmsayin?​

CUT TO:
Mike D'Antoni clearing out his office.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff Van Gundy is the only one that I think could do as good of job, if not better than D'Antoni of those available. I'm not impressed with Avery or Sam Mitchell. You can keep Larry Brown and Pat Riley too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure the Patriots got draft picks when Parcells went to the Jets... or did the Jets get draft picks when Bellichek went to the Pats?

also, didn't the Knicks get picks from the Heat when Riles quit on them?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Also, the Oakland A's traded manager Chuck Tanner to the Pittsburgh Pirates for catcher Manny Sanguillen back in the late 70's. Hard to say who got the better of that deal: Sanguillen did play reasonably well for the A's for a few seasons, but Tanner managed the Pirates to the championship in '79. It has happened a few times in the NFL, as well. So there is some precedent for trading rights to a coach for some other usable commodity.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are Phoenix will likely do much worse if they move D'Antoni although I think the strings have been cut already. It sort of reminds me of BC leaving.

IMO the problem is a owner and GM that wanted to pinch pennies and trade players (KT and James Jones) and draft picks to save LT dollars. KT would have been off the books anyway after this season. Essentially the Suns threw in a potentially winning hand. Also Marion might have left after this season or been used for trade bait in the off season to further reduce the LT.

This kindly seems the work of a GM that does what he is told or does not know what he is doing.

My Thoughts exactly, i believe the team will do much worse, the excuse next year will be the new coach has only been with the players one off-season and blah blah. I say keep Dantoni and employ another reputable assistant coach for defense (like ivaroni) a lot of fans wants head to roll. I wonder what suns fan would have done if they had jerry Sloan who has never won a title all this years, yet he is still with the team. This constant changes in personnel is one of the issues that has been killing the suns organisation for years. No unemployed coach right now can do better than D'antoni, not Van gundy and definetly not Avery.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
My Thoughts exactly, i believe the team will do much worse, the excuse next year will be the new coach has only been with the players one off-season and blah blah. I say keep Dantoni and employ another reputable assistant coach for defense (like ivaroni) a lot of fans wants head to roll. I wonder what suns fan would have done if they had jerry Sloan who has never won a title all this years, yet he is still with the team. This constant changes in personnel is one of the issues that has been killing the suns organisation for years. No unemployed coach right now can do better than D'antoni, not Van gundy and definetly not Avery.

Good post. Unless I miss my count, the last 20 NBA champions have been coached by only 6 different people. I'm too stupid or lazy to figure out how many coaches that leaves as failures, but that ratio is pretty telling isn't it? I think trading one component for another with just as many warts is grass-is-greener style thinking. If D'Antoni had a miserable record (both with team and individual player successes) then I would be more inclined to find another head coach. Find a defensive assistant.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Yeah, kinda, errr ... most definitely. Yes men are paid rather well. ANd Kerr needs the money, he was never paid squat, missed out on the big money in the NBA. Kerr is just a puppet trying to keep the fan base interested as sarver rakes in the profits.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
this was the one i was going to say.

Confirmed: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE6DB133BF931A3575AC0A963958260

However, this was under the old CBA. Not sure if the situation has changed or not.

PRO BASKETBALL; For Riley, Knicks Get $1 Million and a No. 1 Pick

By MIKE WISE
Published: September 2, 1995

The Knicks agreed to drop tampering charges against the Miami Heat yesterday in an 11th-hour settlement that brought New York unprecedented compensation and paved the way for Pat Riley to sign the most lucrative coaching contract in National Basketball Association history.

The summerlong dispute over the contract status of the game's most high-profile coach ended suddenly, with a flurry of activity. First, Miami gave the Knicks a first-round draft choice in 1996 and $1 million as compensation for letting Riley out of the last year of his contract. And last night, the Heat presented Riley with a five-year package believed to be worth nearly $40 million.

The Heat has scheduled a news conference at 11:30 A.M. today at the Port of Miami aboard the Imagination, one of the Carnival Cruise Line ships owned by the Heat's managing partner, Micky Arison. A team official said Riley would be introduced as the fourth coach in team history.

The draft pick the Knicks will get came to the Heat from the Atlanta Hawks last season in a trade that sent Grant Long and Steve Smith to the Atlanta and Kevin Willis to Miami.

Though the draft pick comes to the Knicks unconditionally, the Knicks must honor a pre-existing condition. If the pick is one of the first five in the N.B.A. draft, it will be returned to Atlanta and the Knicks will have to settle for Atlanta's 1997 first-round draft pick.

The Knicks also have the option of returning the pick to Atlanta in exchange for the Hawks' 1997 first-round choice if they think they will get a better player that way. They would have to notify the Hawks two weeks before the 1996 draft to complete that deal.

"All of those things were attractive to us," said Dave Checketts, the Madison Square Garden president, who continually pushed for the unconditional pick rather than Miami's selection next season.

The settlement came on the deadline day that had been set by Commissioner David Stern, who had threatened punitive measures if the teams could not settle the contentious legal battle themselves. The Knicks originally wanted $3 million plus an unconditional draft pick, but settled on $1 million instead.

Perhaps Checketts summed up the matter for all parties involved. "It's over," he said during a conference call from his office yesterday. "The Miami-Pat Riley affair is history for me. It's time to move on."

more cont...

Last edited:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda, errr ... most definitely. Yes men are paid rather well. ANd Kerr needs the money, he was never paid squat, missed out on the big money in the NBA. Kerr is just a puppet trying to keep the fan base interested as sarver rakes in the profits.
Plus, it would be nice if Kerr actually showed up to work a little more frequently. Instead, he hangs out at his paradise house in San Diego and flies over for games. He barely works more than he did when he was broadcasting for TNT.