Why not play Diaw at the point?

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
What am I missing here?

Diaw loves-loves-loves to pass, to the point where everyone on the forum crushes him for being TOO unselfish.

Contrast that to the adulation invariably bestowed on every 'pass-first' point guard. Pass-first point guards are ADORED by coaches, fans, television analysts. Shoot-first point guards, by contrast, are CRUSHED by the same coaches, fans, and television analysts for dominating the ball and stifling an offense.

So... why not turn Diaw into an honest-to-God pass-first point guard... a la Magic Johnson? Think of the matchup problems he'd present in the back court. Like Magic, he's 6-9, with handles, vision, and a tremendous ability to exploit shorter defenders in the post. He doesn't have Magic's outside shot, leadership, or charisma, but if there's a better poor-man's Magic in the league, I'd like to know who it is.

It makes me scratch my head to see us so desperate for Tyrone Lue and Anthony Johnson when we have Diaw on our roster. Really? Tyrone Lue? Anthony Johnson?

Give Diaw the damn ball. And let him give the damn ball to everyone else...

M

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well there's a few reasons. Firstly, the Suns aren't exactly deep up front, so using Diaw at PG would mean using him less at the 3-5 positions, and they'd have to find some stiff to fill his minutes.

Secondly, though Diaw is a good ball handler and passer for a big guy, he's not great. His movements are very rigid, and he doesn't have great court vision. Plus, he's not an above average shooter, which is important for a PG. Especially in a pick and roll offense, a PG needs to be able to drain a shot from distance to punish a defender if they try to go around the pick.

All that said, I wouldn't mind Diaw taking the ball up the court a bit, but if the Suns get Dragic over here and sign Livingston, Marbury, J-Will, or whomever, there wouldn't be a need.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus they tried it in training camp and pre-season games and it didn't work out to well. He kept losing the ball to smaller guards. He wasn't fast enough to dribble around them.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Plus they tried it in training camp and pre-season games and it didn't work out to well. He kept losing the ball to smaller guards. He wasn't fast enough to dribble around them.

Exactly. While having Diaw post up PGs would be great, you have to manage to bring the ball to that side of the court first.

I do like the idea of running the offense through Diaw in the low post. Even if you have to go with Barbosa and Bell in the back court, Barbosa doesn't have to run the offense- he and Bell just have to get the ball to Diaw in the low post and let him handle it from there.

I really think Diaw is one guy who can make a huge difference on this team next year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Diaw was a disaster at PG for the Hawks. That's why they were so willing to let him go in the Johnson deal. Remember, the speculation at the time was that the Suns "should" prefer Childress, and it was seen as odd that they pushed for Diaw instead.

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
THE NEW SUNS POINT GUARD ''DJ~STRAW''!!!
You must be registered for see images

:thumbup:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Diaw was a disaster at PG for the Hawks. That's why they were so willing to let him go in the Johnson deal. Remember, the speculation at the time was that the Suns "should" prefer Childress, and it was seen as odd that they pushed for Diaw instead.
I didnt know that part. In hindsight, I would have taken Childress in a heartbeat.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
I didnt know that part. In hindsight, I would have taken Childress in a heartbeat.

Please, Childress is average in every aspect of the game. We would have never gone to the WCF with him, thats for sure, while like it or not Diaw was a crucial contributor that year when the offense went through him. Now he is vastly overpaid, but thats another story.

Back to the topic, Diaw is not a PG, he can pass well out of double teams, but its not the same as running an offense. Giving him the ball in the low post is the right way to utilize his skills.

Sunsei

Reaction score
This is what happened the only time (to my knowledge) that Diaw "really" played PG for the Suns (late 05/06 game to rest Nash before the playoffs): http://www.nba.com/games/20060414/PHXGSW/boxscore.html

I never saw the game but 16 assists and 5 turnovers on his way to a triple double is pretty good, especially considering that he was our center at the time.
My real concern with Diaw playing PG would be defending the small quick PGs, but since he did a solid job on Tony Parker (who should be a real bad matchup for him), there shouldn't be too many problems.

Diaw as our backup PG in a big line up would be very intriguing since it would allow him to rebound more (he would not have to box out bigger players and could just be grabbing the easy rebounds), and he is great at pushing the ball and making good decisions in transition when he gets a defensive rebound. I remember a lot of exciting plays from 05/06 coming from a Diaw defensive rebound and him pushing the ball really hard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is what happened the only time (to my knowledge) that Diaw "really" played PG for the Suns (late 05/06 game to rest Nash before the playoffs): http://www.nba.com/games/20060414/PHXGSW/boxscore.html

I never saw the game but 16 assists and 5 turnovers on his way to a triple double is pretty good, especially considering that he was our center at the time.
My real concern with Diaw playing PG would be defending the small quick PGs, but since he did a solid job on Tony Parker (who should be a real bad matchup for him), there shouldn't be too many problems.

Diaw as our backup PG in a big line up would be very intriguing since it would allow him to rebound more (he would not have to box out bigger players and could just be grabbing the easy rebounds), and he is great at pushing the ball and making good decisions in transition when he gets a defensive rebound. I remember a lot of exciting plays from 05/06 coming from a Diaw defensive rebound and him pushing the ball really hard.

are you pimpin' the 16 assists or the fact that we lost that game with him as point?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Please, Childress is average in every aspect of the game. We would have never gone to the WCF with him, thats for sure, while like it or not Diaw was a crucial contributor that year when the offense went through him. Now he is vastly overpaid, but thats another story.
Wow! I really hope you don't believe this...

Childress is above average for his position in:
FG%
FT%
3P%
PTS
STL
REB

and imo
Defense, Dirty Work, X Factor

The belief that he would have never gotten us to the WCF is a baseless opinion presented as fact, and a moot point since I was speaking in hindsight (crucial part to my statement you seemed to have missed).

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
... the Suns aren't exactly deep up front, so using Diaw at PG would mean using him less at the 3-5 positions, and they'd have to find some stiff to fill his minutes.
I should hope that the Suns are done benching (or moving out of position) a Power Forward or Center in favor of Boris Diaw.

As far as finding someone to take his minutes at Small Forward, c'mon. It's easy to find a wing player who's not a stiff.

The stiff has been Diaw and his unaggressive playing, no matter which position. Except at Scottsdale night clubs, of course.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I really hope you don't believe this...

Childress is above average for his position in:
FG%
FT%
3P%
PTS
STL
REB

and imo
Defense, Dirty Work, X Factor

His stats are decent, and I have to admit he is a very good offensive rebounder, hustle player, and can hit the three fairly well. But he cant even start for the Hawks for a good reason, while his competition is Marwin "Bust" Williams.

The belief that he would have never gotten us to the WCF is a baseless opinion presented as fact, and a moot point since I was speaking in hindsight (crucial part to my statement you seemed to have missed).

The hindsight part doesnt make the statement smarter. You would give up the season where we were the closest to the Finals for a better contract now?

And for my "baseless opinion" please explain me how the hell would have Childress maken up for Diaw's point forward role, which worked extremely well in 2006, I'm curious. Childress is not a playmaker, he hasnt got a back to the basket game, he cant play multiple positions and so on.

Sunsei

Reaction score
are you pimpin' the 16 assists or the fact that we lost that game with him as point?

?
I didn't know that I was pimping anything but as far as the loss is concerned I wouldn't but too much emphasis on it since Brian Grant was our starting center and Skita and Pat Burke each played 15 mins of the bench...

HooverDam

Reaction score
I should hope that the Suns are done benching (or moving out of position) a Power Forward or Center in favor of Boris Diaw.

As far as finding someone to take his minutes at Small Forward, c'mon. It's easy to find a wing player who's not a stiff.

The stiff has been Diaw and his unaggressive playing, no matter which position. Except at Scottsdale night clubs, of course.

I think Diaw is a much better 4 or 5 than a 3. He lacks a quick first step, a shot from long range, horizontal quickness on defense, and pretty much everything else one would want in a Small Forward. But because the Suns have an obvious starting 4 and 5, people want to shove Diaw into that 3 hole. I think Power Forward is his best position.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns actually thought that Diaw would be a PG when they took him. With all the injuries, he was put inside very early in camp that year and the rest is history.

From what I can tell, Diaw's main problem at PG is that he stand too upright when dribbling the ball. He's hardly the only Sun with that flaw, but it is part of the reason they don't go to the basket more. It doesn't seem that leaning over and keeping the ball close to the floor is just not taught by the Suns staff.

On the defensive end, I think the job Boris did against Parker suggests he COULD do the job on defense. But right now, Strawberry is showing signs he may be a decent PG and far better than anyone else on defensing PG's.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
maybe Diaw's best position is on another team?

I think Diaw is going to play mostly SF this season. He's a decent shooter, a great passer, and tall enough to defender some of the really long SF's the Suns often struggle with. His ability to destroy smaller wings in the low post is a real plus.

Porter's job is to fine a way to get Diaw back to his performance level of the 2005-06 playoffs. 18.7 ppg, 52.6% shooting, 42.9% for three, 5.2 apg. He has not had any serious injuries and has developed as defender. By all rights he should be better than that year.

My suspicion is that Boris could end up being Thunder Dan's primary project. If just a little of his attitude rubbed off, Boris could be a great player. But obviously if his passivity continues, he will lose his minutes to Tucker who clearly is NOT passive.

OP
OP
M

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
For all the flak he takes on here, Boris was the best player on the floor for the Suns in the San Antonio series.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
For all the flak he takes on here, Boris was the best player on the floor for the Suns in the San Antonio series.

I see three issues with Boris:

1. He doesn't finish strong at the basket event hrough he's proven he can.

2. He is a below average rebounder for an inside guy.

3. His free throw shooting is not reliable.

Moving him to the wing will reduce the problem of his rebounding. The need to finshih strong is up to coaches. The free thro shooting is something that only lots of practice is going to cure.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think Power Forward is his best position.
That is exactly why Diaw should be traded. We went through the same thing with Marion.

Power Forward is Amare's best position. Playing him at Center keeps him on the bench longer with foul trouble, reduces his rebounding efficiency and increases his chance for injury.

Power Forward might be Diaw's best position, because he lacks skills for the position that suits his size. It doesn't put the team in its best position.

I'm a Suns fan, not a let's find a place for Boris Diaw where he won't be as much of a detriment as at his natural position fan.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Boris diaw doesnt have the handles to be a PG, most NBA players dont. Josh Childress doesnt either, for you childress fans, and neither does prince. That doesnt mean these guys are no good. PG is a very tough position in the NBA, especially a true PG(as opposed to a combo PG). Boris diaw is the best defensive player on the suns at the PF, amare isnt even a close second. If amare were an all around PF, it'd be easy to dump Diaw, but amare is not a good defender so somebody has to clean up after him and diaw has drawn a big part of that job in the past 2 years(07, 08). The suns can, at times, run the offense through Diaw at the SF if they have enough shooters to get the spacing, as they did in '06. With shaq and robin lopez around that might be tougher now(vs TT, marion, KT) Nowdays the suns shooters are thin in ranks and mostly unreliable, too streaky(save Nash). Until that changes, both amare and boris will be less effective operating near the elbow as the lane will be filled with help defense. Frankly I'd even like to see the suns try to get salim stoudemire, at least he can shoot, if not be a real PG. The suns need at least one extra scary shooter on the perimeter to punish the "sag in the lane" defenses that are so popular and successful against this suns team. Salim could be that guy, he's a scary good shooter from 3. His career stats are 36.6% from 3, but with the hawks I saw him frequently getting the ball with 4-5 seconds on the clock, and taking contested 3's. I suspect in a real offense with a low post threat he will get much better looks. Remember, JJ went from 47 3pt% in '04 with the suns to 35, 38, 38 for the hawks the last 3 years!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Boris diaw is the best defensive player on the suns at the PF, amare isnt even a close second. If amare were an all around PF, it'd be easy to dump Diaw, but amare is not a good defender so somebody has to clean up after him and diaw has drawn a big part of that job in the past 2 years(07, 08).
That was then; this is now. We have some Centers, a Head Coach who won't play Amare out of position and a big man's Coach -- all at the same.

A combinaton we have not had during Amare's tenure.

I think we'll see Amare's defensive skills improve alot this coming season.

I hope there is no "big part of that job" backing up Amare any more. When it comes to leading the team as Power Forward, that is the big part of the job.

Boris Diaw certainly cannot fill those shoes at the "4". Not now; not ever.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why we would need to pin Diaw to one position. I would say he should primarily be used at 3-4 depending on need and match up and even the 5 in an occasional small lineup. I don't think we should see him at the 1 except in very special circumstances.

Joe