Why shouldnt we keep both Warner and Josh?

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Dont jump on me for suggesting this..I am just bringing this up for discussion... Why shouldnt we sign both KW and josh? both for a 3 year deal or something? Bcos I think they both played alright... But at the end of the day, Qb's are judged by the wins and not the number of yards or INTs (ex. NY Giants this year).. I kinda think if we had a decent OL that would let us run and a good RB and a special teams that wouldnt screw up and if the defense had played well earlier, we could have been a 10-6 or a 9-7 team and we all would be saying KW should start next year and eventually Josh should take it over from him...so, my question is why not we give these two another chance rather than seeing Josh succeed somewhere next year.. if he succeeds elsewhere( I think there is a good chance if he gets to Miami or something, he will) we all would be saying that we made a huge mistake). if they dont click next year, maybe we can pick a Brady Quinn or even Vince Young( if he really goes back to school for one more year) next year...

so,what are your guys take on this????..

BTW..I am a clemson grad and I would love to see Charlie Whitehurst ending up a cardinal... they also say he would be a 1st day selection...but I think he will fall to the third round...I think he is accurate and a good arm..but not very mobile...so may not be a good fit for us...

seesred

Reaction score
If Josh is smart he will go where the money is and a chance to start from the get go. I think he is in for a pretty big payday.

GBR

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Josh can do his best Jake Delhomme impersonation and find a starting gig out there. I wonder if he can take over in Detroit or Cleveland? He has experience working with good WRs

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
dinesh15 said:
Hi guys,

Dont jump on me for suggesting this..I am just bringing this up for discussion... Why shouldnt we sign both KW and josh? both for a 3 year deal or something?

I'm in complete agreement, however, this makes way too much sense.

You CANNOT pin our dismall season on the QB play. NOTE: #1 passing offense in the freaking NFL...

Josh could probably be convinced in staying considering his relationship with Kurt, or not, who knows...

I say we pick the wrong one out of the two, draft a new guy who'll suck it up down the road for us, and have this exact same conversation in two to three years? Come on Cardinal fans what do you say?

Jake haters unite - you wanted to run this guy out of town, man he sure does suck. Who do we think is the end all cure all this year? Let's sit around and complain about Kurt or Josh for the next couple months...

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Because Josh is smart enough to know that if he comes back with Warner it will probably be as a back-up and that there are teams where he would make more $ and/or get a starting gig. BTW I really like Whitehurst also, if he is there in the 3rd I would def want him, he is a bit small but could turn out to be a real player.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
At this point I'd love to bring in Kurt as the starter and keep Josh as a backup. No, you haven't read wrong...I just did indeed post that!!!

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
There are a few teams that would have him as a starter. That plus more money is reason enough as to why he will leave IMO.

The only way I can see him returning is if there is no intreast in him on the FA market, which I believe is unlikely.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
We'd have to pony up near starter money then I believe he might stay just because of the security and because of Warner getting hurt constantly and Boldin and Fitz.

Think about this, if he's really smart and he's the backup he's more secure than he ever would be as a starter.

The right offer might work but if he's bent on starting then it's over.

OP
OP
D

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Because Josh is smart enough to know that if he comes back with Warner it will probably be as a back-up and that there are teams where he would make more $ and/or get a starting gig. BTW I really like Whitehurst also, if he is there in the 3rd I would def want him, he is a bit small but could turn out to be a real player.

He is not small...He is 6'4 215 pounds.... Isnt that the ideal QB prototype..maybe 225..But he would add that up probably for the NFL combine...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why does everyone think JOsh is going to get a starting gig? He hasn't been able to start for one of the worst teams in the league and all,of a sudden, people are going to start throwing money at him to be their starter?????? Who's he going to start for? Cleveland is going with Frye.Miami would just as soon draft someone or go with Rosenfels.New Orleans is probably going to draft Leinart.Oakland is a possibilty but Al Davis probably wants to make a splash at QB and Josh is more of a ripple.Minnesota would have to trade Culpepper.That leaves Detroit or Green Bay with possible QB questions.Detroit is so messed up that they may give him a shot.He would be a stop gap in GB until Rodgers is ready,assuming Favre retires.Josh has done nothing to warrant the big payday some of you think he's going to get.The guys is a good backup QB, that's it.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Josh in New Orleans. Saints will dump Brooks, Bouman not the answer.. McPherson not ready yet. Josh is a southern guy from Texas would be close to home with chance to be the starter until McPherson is ready (if ever).

Benson is cheap and word is that if they get the top pick he might trade down for more picks and avoid huge money going to the #1 pick.

Bush is not in their plans (says Len P) and Leinart would cost them too much since Benson is claiming he lost $45 mil this year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depends on a bunch of variables:

- How well Josh plays Sunday

- Whether or not he wants to stay

- Whether or not the Cardinals want him to stay

- Who else is out there in free agency or trades

- What plans the Cards have for their QBOF (Rivers? A draft pick? Josh?)

- This also assumes, of course, that the Cards and Warner agree on his coming back for at least one more year in either a starting or backup role.

DKCards

Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Why does everyone think JOsh is going to get a starting gig? He hasn't been able to start for one of the worst teams in the league and all,of a sudden, people are going to start throwing money at him to be their starter?????? Who's he going to start for? Cleveland is going with Frye.Miami would just as soon draft someone or go with Rosenfels.New Orleans is probably going to draft Leinart.Oakland is a possibilty but Al Davis probably wants to make a splash at QB and Josh is more of a ripple.Minnesota would have to trade Culpepper.That leaves Detroit or Green Bay with possible QB questions.Detroit is so messed up that they may give him a shot.He would be a stop gap in GB until Rodgers is ready,assuming Favre retires.Josh has done nothing to warrant the big payday some of you think he's going to get.The guys is a good backup QB, that's it.

He is 9-9 as a starter over the last two years. Not bad when the team is 11-20 over that same time frame. That is a 50% wining record compared to a 15% for the other starters. He has accounted for all but 2 wins the Cards have had in the last 2 years. You can say anything you want about his stats but how can you argue with his win/loss record vs the other QBs that played here.

As far as stats, he has over 1300 yds in just 5 games as a starter with a 3-2 record. That would be a 4000 yd season. All this when the team is averaging less then 70 yds a game rushing. He has 7 int vs 8 tds during that same time. His QB rating for those starts is in the mid to low 80s (top 20 ranking). He ranks 3rd in yds/game, 18th in completion %, 23rd in yds/attempt. If taken out to 15 games he would be in top 5 for TDs but in interceptions as well. He still has a ways to go and learn but I think there would be a number of teams that would take a serious look at him as a starter.

I would hate to go into the season with Warner and no QB behind him. If there is anyway they can keep Josh as Warner’s back up I think they should do it. How many years/games does it take a QB to really start excelling? He will be going into his 5th year but he has less then 30 starts right now. I just hope they do not let him go at the wrong time. The QB has not been the problem this year. It is the O-line and the run defense. If they fix those two areas they will be in the playoffs next year with Kurt and Josh. But if they fix those areas and the starting QB goes down and they have no backup I see another losing season.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it's moreso a case of Josh wanting to get the opportunity to realistically compete for a starting job elsewhare. He's had his chance here and failed to capitalize, so I think he knows in AZ he will not be the long term answer we're looking for. I wouldn't be against bringing him back, as long as he's satisfied backing up. I don't think that's the case.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:

He'll at least get the opportunity to realistically compete, where as here he knows it's either 2 or 3 depending who we either bring in or draft. Hell,look at AJ Feeley. He got a chance to be the man based off a few games in which he looked half decent. I don't think that worked out too well for Miami.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
dinesh15 said:
Hi guys,

Dont jump on me for suggesting this..I am just bringing this up for discussion... Why shouldn't we sign both KW and josh? both for a 3 year deal or something? Bcos I think they both played alright... But at the end of the day, Qb's are judged by the wins and not the number of yards or INTs (ex. NY Giants this year).. I kinda think if we had a decent OL that would let us run and a good RB and a special teams that wouldn't screw up and if the defense had played well earlier, we could have been a 10-6 or a 9-7 team and we all would be saying KW should start next year and eventually Josh should take it over from him...so, my question is why not we give these two another chance rather than seeing Josh succeed somewhere next year.. if he succeeds elsewhere( I think there is a good chance if he gets to Miami or something, he will) we all would be saying that we made a huge mistake). if they dont click next year, maybe we can pick a Brady Quinn or even Vince Young( if he really goes back to school for one more year) next year...

so,what are your guys take on this????..

BTW..I am a clemson grad and I would love to see Charlie Whitehurst ending up a cardinal... they also say he would be a 1st day selection...but I think he will fall to the third round...I think he is accurate and a good arm..but not very mobile...so may not be a good fit for us...

It would be nice to keep them both but the economics will not allow it. There is a shortage of FA QB's of any quality and both of these guys will command some high dollars and both will want to start. We had better keep one and not start over again with another QB. I think Warner is more likely to to take us to a playoff but he will have a choice of a number of teams who would love to have him. We are faced with some serious choices come the draft. Our needs are a young QB and cure our running problems. If a good QB falls to us we probably should take him as good QB's are the most difficult of all commodities to find. Our other major need is a running game. We are not going to cure next years OL problem in the draft. It takes time for these guys to develop. Address the OL in FA. Our staff should be up all night every night trying to have a decent plan in place for the coming year and the future. The future for DG is next year and he knows it so he will not be drafting for the future.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
DKCards said:
He is 9-9 as a starter over the last two years. Not bad when the team is 11-20 over that same time frame. That is a 50% wining record compared to a 15% for the other starters. He has accounted for all but 2 wins the Cards have had in the last 2 years. You can say anything you want about his stats but how can you argue with his win/loss record vs the other QBs that played here.

As far as stats, he has over 1300 yds in just 5 games as a starter with a 3-2 record. That would be a 4000 yd season. All this when the team is averaging less then 70 yds a game rushing. He has 7 int vs 8 tds during that same time. His QB rating for those starts is in the mid to low 80s (top 20 ranking). He ranks 3rd in yds/game, 18th in completion %, 23rd in yds/attempt. If taken out to 15 games he would be in top 5 for TDs but in interceptions as well. He still has a ways to go and learn but I think there would be a number of teams that would take a serious look at him as a starter.

I would hate to go into the season with Warner and no QB behind him. If there is anyway they can keep Josh as Warner’s back up I think they should do it. How many years/games does it take a QB to really start excelling? He will be going into his 5th year but he has less then 30 starts right now. I just hope they do not let him go at the wrong time. The QB has not been the problem this year. It is the O-line and the run defense. If they fix those two areas they will be in the playoffs next year with Kurt and Josh. But if they fix those areas and the starting QB goes down and they have no backup I see another losing season.
I have no problem with him being the backup next year.I looked back on his 9 wins and it's not like he's been beating the playoff teams of the world.He's had 1,what i would call "good",win in beating a pretty good Seattle team last year. Plus he's had 1 road victory at a horrible Miami team last year.Like i said, he's a backup QB.

spanky1

Reaction score
john h said:
It would be nice to keep them both but the economics will not allow it. There is a shortage of FA QB's of any quality and both of these guys will command some high dollars and both will want to start. We had better keep one and not start over again with another QB. I think Warner is more likely to to take us to a playoff but he will have a choice of a number of teams who would love to have him. We are faced with some serious choices come the draft. Our needs are a young QB and cure our running problems. If a good QB falls to us we probably should take him as good QB's are the most difficult of all commodities to find. Our other major need is a running game. We are not going to cure next years OL problem in the draft. It takes time for these guys to develop. Address the OL in FA. Our staff should be up all night every night trying to have a decent plan in place for the coming year and the future. The future for DG is next year and he knows it so he will not be drafting for the future.

San Diego has carried both Brees and Rivers and may very well do it for another year. We can afford both Warner and McCown with bagfuls of money left over. I would like to keep them both and I have a hunch we will.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
San Diego has carried both Brees and Rivers and may very well do it for another year. We can afford both Warner and McCown with bagfuls of money left over. I would like to keep them both and I have a hunch we will.

If Josh is smart and the money is close to equal he will stay.

Warner is the best thing that ever happend to him and he still can learn from him about all the weak parts of his game, namely decision making.

He can also throw to a set of Corvettes or he can go somewhere else and chances are throw to a couple of Yugo's.