Why Suns fans are always saying that Spurs players are floppers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikko

Reaction score
Yes, i am a Spurs fan and no, i don't hate the Suns.

I can understand the "dirty" Bowen thing.

I can understand the "Horry" hating.

But, i don't understand why Suns fans are always saying that Spurs players are floppers...
Let's just take a look at the stats of 2006-07 charges.
http://www.82games.com/charges0607.htm

2006-07 Team by Team Leaders in drawing Offensive Fouls

Phoenix 265
Chicago 254
New Jersey 240
Golden State 237
Indiana 235
Utah 217
Toronto 216
Dallas 207
Milwaukee 203
Miami 198
Cleveland 197
Philadelphia 195
Washington 184
San Antonio 181

Leading 2006-07 NBA Players in drawing Offensive Fouls

1 CLE Varejao 99
2 DAL Harris 77
3 MIL Bogut 74
4 PHO Bell 72
5 GSW Ellis 64
6 PHO Nash 62
30 SAS Oberto 31
31 SAS Ginobili 31
32 SAS Bowen 31
33 PHO Barbosa 31

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Is it something in the water down in San Antonio? Depleted uranium, toxic waste, mercury? How can the majority of their fans be completely oblivious to the flopping?

It's like those people who deny the Holocaust.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Spurs are floppers. I think Gifflopy is a flopper. I do think that the Spurs historically have been whiners with Tim Duncan towards the top.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Flopping is a LEAGUE wide problem. Can you name one team that doesn't have a flopper or two or three? Until the NBA starts calling fouls for flopping it is only going to get worse. Some guys like ginobilli flop with all the flailing arms fanfare while others are more subtle.

It is getting out of hand and ultimately lends to the refs determining the outcomes of games rather than the athletisim.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
object%3E

Something might be wrong when videos like these comes out.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Nikko, I judge a basketball player by his options.

On defense: If paul pierce gets pinned on the low block by Dampier, he cannot defend Dampier, his only choice is to flop, so he does(it happened in the last celtics/mavs game). If tony parker switches onto boris diaw on the low block his only choice is to flop, he cant contest the shot, he knows this, so he flops(seen that one too). If Raja Bell gets caught on the switch with TD, he WOULD flop if he thought he could get the call, but he cant get that call and he knows it. Tim Duncan does not flop, generally Bowen does not flop, parker does, oberto flops alot, and manu flops mainly on offense, though I do recall a flop he performed that actually injured Barbosas knee as he "fell backwards" into a crowd before contact was established. When you look at the videos, its easier to tell as a player often falls backward before contact is made, or he ensures that contact is made with his feet forward(will fall at the slightest contact). Oberto flops on amare all the time, puts his feet forward and falls( a real PF move). Oberto knows he cant defend amare so flopping is his only way out.

manus flop on offense is in attempting to exaggerate the energy of contact by hurling himself around at the onset of contact by any defensive player, but he moves in to get that contact, so its a flop.

Flopping is an art in the NBA and players who dont are at a disadvantage. Its safe to say that the spurs arent the only team that has good floppers, but they have at least 3 good ones.

Note: I dont consider drawing an offensive foul a flop, only when the player doesnt even attempt to set his feet. Putting your body in front of a bigger player driving to the hoop is not a flop in my book, as a running larger player can knock over a smaller defender easily, no exaggeration needed.

Not every one thinks like I do obviously, all spurs players arent floppers, certainly not udoka, and I dont recall vaughn flopping. I naturally become more suspicious when a larger or more skilled player gains an advantage and makes a move and the smaller or less skilled player falls down, its his ONLY move to defend. Floppers also pull down other players to get a "grabbing foul". Oh and in order to be a flopper, you have to get the calls.

Last edited:

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
object%3E

Something might be wrong when videos like these comes out.

LOL.. funny.

I personally know that all teams flop. Raja is great at it. Due to the piece of shiet officiating in the league, players know that if they flop the refs will probably call it. Whereas if they are charged, BUT DON'T FLOP TO THE GROUND, it probably won't be called.

No matter who the team is.

Signed, Btimsah.

Sovereignz

Registered
Reaction score
I have less of a problem with guys like Ginobili or Bell exaggerating contact when they are actually in defensive position than a guy like Oberto who will draw offensive fouls away from the ball by flailing his arms around and crumpling to the floor like a *****.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I don't think the Spurs are floppers. I think Gifflopy is a flopper. I do think that the Spurs historically have been whiners with Tim Duncan towards the top.

Parker sometimes flops on offense. Last night he's driving to the hoop, puts up a layup, and SAILS through the air untouched and down to the floor, sliding on his back. No call. As it should be because it was a clear flop. The layup is good, but there was no reason for him to flop like that. No one was even near him.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Why do people think the only way to flop is by taking a charge?

How about on offense, falling around and flailing your arms and yelling to draw a foul?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's a Euro thing. I used to hate Vlade Divac for the same thing. Is this how they teach them to play over there?

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
I think it's a Euro thing. I used to hate Vlade Divac for the same thing. Is this how they teach them to play over there?

Maybe it's a by-product of the soccer culture. That's another drama queen sport.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Parker sometimes flops on offense. Last night he's driving to the hoop, puts up a layup, and SAILS through the air untouched and down to the floor, sliding on his back. No call. As it should be because it was a clear flop. The layup is good, but there was no reason for him to flop like that. No one was even near him.

I saw that one, TP is a piece of work, for sure. Its only irritating when its called a foul. If the refs are that stupid to call that I am worried about the integrity of the league.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Why do people think the only way to flop is by taking a charge?

How about on offense, falling around and flailing your arms and yelling to draw a foul?

You can take that a step further with the guys who go up out of control and when confronted with a normal blocking situation end up on their back and draw not just the foul but the flagrant. Half the flagrant fouls on drives i see as the offensive player either out of control or just falling awkwardly... or exagerating. At least thats my observation.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
You can take that a step further with the guys who go up out of control and when confronted with a normal blocking situation end up on their back and draw not just the foul but the flagrant. Half the flagrant fouls on drives i see as the offensive player either out of control or just falling awkwardly... or exagerating. At least thats my observation.

Exactly.

Sure, there is flopping. But taking charges is usually more exaggerating contact then pretending there was contact when there really wasn't.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Suns do flop on offensive fouls, every team does. That's basically what an offensive foul is most of the time and it takes talent to do it. It's not the same as what the Spurs do, run into the paint, get breathed on and fall over with arms flailing. Then sit up on the floor looking at the ref with hands pointed out, "come on ref that was a foul!" That's flopping.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone remember when the Suns were playing the Sonics this year and Bell and Kurt ran into each other head-on and then both fell backwards? That was the ultimate flop.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's a by-product of the soccer culture. That's another drama queen sport.

Yes. Flopping comes from Football (soccer) but its not really a Euro thing. It came to Europe with all the S-American players that came to play to Europe. And by the way - Flopping in Football is ILLEGAL! You get a yellow card for flopping in Football !

OP
OP
N

nikko

Reaction score
Find some!

This kind of high comedy is way too pathetic.

Ok, you are so right.
Spurs are empire of evil.
Suns are the really good guys.

Everything on Spurs is bad.
Everything on Suns is good.

Am i right now ?

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score
Ok, you are so right.
Spurs are empire of evil.
Suns are the really good guys.

Everything on Spurs is bad.
Everything on Suns is good.

Am i right now ?

I think you got it! Great, well that means you can leave now, right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05