Why was the playcalling a little better yesterday?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting, read the bolded part at the bottom...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1009boivin1009.html

Cards lose game, Leinart wins over team

Paola Boivin
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 9, 2006 12:08 AM

The best pass of the day was the one that involved a torch.

The Cardinals lost a game but found a quarterback. In this lonely red-and-white-tinged universe where dark clouds, but rarely silver linings, linger, the team found one Sunday in Matt Leinart.

The rookie, who made his first NFL start, passed for 253 yards and two touchdowns against one of the best defenses in the NFL. His team lost 23-20 to the Kansas City Chiefs at Cardinals Stadium, but the defeat had little to do with Leinart.
advertisement

"Matt played good. Matt played good," running back Edgerrin James said. "Matt's not what I'm worried about."

The fans agree. When Kurt Warner, 35, walked off this field two weeks ago after a similar loss to St. Louis, they were relentless in their booing of the veteran quarterback. When Leinart, 23, walked off the field Sunday, many applauded.

"I'm praying for you, Matt!" one man yelled as he waved a rosary.

Warner, too, is well aware of the changing of the guard. You could see it in his face as he walked through the locker room after the game. This is Leinart's team.

"Matt did some very good things," Cardinals coach Dennis Green said. "As far as trying to help us win the ballgame, he did his part."

He wasn't flawless. His worst mistake came in the fourth quarter, when he threw an interception at the Cardinals' 22 with 5:58 remaining in the game and his team up by three. The Chiefs tied the score on the next drive and kicked the game-winner less than five minutes later.

In typical Cardinals fashion, there was blame to share.

Bryant Johnson dropped a sure touchdown pass, and the team's frequent struggles on short-yardage situations were mind-boggling. Ill-timed penalties played a role in the loss.

Once again, it wasn't about preparation - Leinart said nothing the Chiefs did surprised him - as much as it was about following through. Green must be feeling what former coaching great John McKay once said when asked about his team's execution: "I'm in favor of it."

Leinart's success might help resuscitate a fan base growing increasingly bitter, thanks to four consecutive losses and the knowledge that the powerhouse Chicago Bears will be in town next week for Monday Night Football.

The young quarterback quickly has become one of the city's most popular athletes. He is on billboards and commercials and has a popular weekly show on ESPN radio affiliate KMVP-AM (860) that has included surprise guests Shaquille O'Neal and hip-hop artist the Game.

Even if the on-field results are the same, this is clearly a new era in the Cardinals' universe.

I heard a radio interview recently with a Kansas City, Mo., journalist who had just left the Chiefs' facilities, where they were practicing to the sound of piped-in crowd noise.

Crowd noise. For a Cardinals game.

I read a magazine interview recently about how James organized a team-bonding trip {ellipsis} to a local strip club.

Hey, desperate times {ellipsis}

Rest assured, the team has bonded with Leinart. Fullback Obafemi Ayanbadejo marveled after the game about how poised the rookie remained in the huddle.

"It's a calm demeanor but also a positive demeanor," he said.

Kansas City coach Herm Edwards praised Leinart's 49-yard touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin that capped the opening drive and thought the quarterback "did a pretty good job for a rookie."

To his credit, Leinart appeared unaffected by the speed of the game and called an audible on about half of his plays.

The quarterback clearly knows what he's doing. Now if the rest of the team could follow suit {ellipsis}
-----------------------------------------------

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt surprise me.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also heard that Denny was calling some plays, not just Rowen.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Matt is a winner. I love this kid. He just has IT. Cant wait to see what he can do with an offensive line in front of him.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If anyone is reviewing tape it would be interesting to see the % of good plays that Leinart audiabled into. Also, has anyone graded the play of Duece?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed by the play calling; particularly during the final three quarters. It seemed, with one or two exceptions, we simply stopped trying to "go downtown." (I guess not having Fitz dictated that we pull in our horns a bit).

I thought the out-pattern that Law picked off would have been more appropriate when we were closer to midfield and hoping to pick up enough yards to put us in FG position a couple of times during the game. But you don't want to throw that pass when your at or inside your own 20. (The risk/benefit ratio that deep in our own territory sucks).

I absolutely hated the Edge call on 3rd & inches - Either sneak it or pass for it, but don't do what everyone in the entire stadium expects you to do.

I guess you have to try the outside stretch play to the left to see if it works, but once we realized it didn't, we should have ripped it out of yesterday's play book.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How in the world, after all the years of horrible Cardinal luck, did the Cardinals manage to draft Leinart?

I sure hope he doesn't get hurt. (Is that a long time Cardinal fan kind of statement or what?)

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
leinart had 2 mistakes in that game that i could see. the int and he took a sack when he could have thrown it away. that was when he avoided the rush by jared allen and scrambled to his left and got sacked by hall. he did great job considering it was his first professional start. i hope he can continue to play like this. the bears will be a big challenege for him.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed by the play calling; particularly during the final three quarters. It seemed, with one or two exceptions, we simply stopped trying to "go downtown." (I guess not having Fitz dictated that we pull in our horns a bit).

I thought the out-pattern that Law picked off would have been more appropriate when we were closer to midfield and hoping to pick up enough yards to put us in FG position a couple of times during the game. But you don't want to throw that pass when your at or inside your own 20. (The risk/benefit ratio that deep in our own territory sucks).

I absolutely hated the Edge call on 3rd & inches - Either sneak it or pass for it, but don't do what everyone in the entire stadium expects you to do.

I guess you have to try the outside stretch play to the left to see if it works, but once we realized it didn't, we should have ripped it out of yesterday's play book.

i totally agree with you on the 3rd and inches call. i also thought it was a pathetic attempt by the o-line in blocking. i feel if they would have run it right it might have had a better chance. we have a big ass qb behind center it should have been a sneak or playaction bootleg.

the cardinals run left alomost all the time. mix it up and run right a few times. in an earlier thread, someone pointed out some edge best runs came from the right side. i believe if you look at some of edge's best runs from the colts they came from the right side. i expect some counter plays thrown in this week play book. i believe the cardinals can get some good rushing yard that way. also if the cardinals want to continue the playaction they need to keep their blocking te, wakefield, in on 1st and 2nd down. even if they past the ball it still be like having an extra tackle in for past protection. that will give pope or bergen time to work the middle.