Will Kurt Warner make the Hall of Fame?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wonder if there are any NFL MVPs of the past say 30 years, that arent in the HOF.
I don't know if Terrel Davis is eligible yet but he's not in. Others who aren't -
Boomer Esiason
Joe Theismann
Mark Moseley
Ken Anderson
Brian Sipe
Bert Jones
Ken Stabler
Larry Brown
John Brodie
Roman Gabriel
Earl Morrall

That is the Associated Press MVP since 1957

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Terrel Davis is eligible yet but he's not in. Others who aren't -
Boomer Esiason
Joe Theismann
Mark Moseley
Ken Anderson
Brian Sipe
Bert Jones
Ken Stabler
Larry Brown
John Brodie
Roman Gabriel
Earl Morrall

That is the Associated Press MVP since 1957

I dont think going back to '57 is relevant as the game has changed immensley since then.

Here is the past 20 years;

1988 Boomer Esiason - Not in HOF
1989 Joe Montana - HOF
1990 Joe Montana (2)
1991 Thurman Thomas - HOF
1992 Steve Young - HOF
1993 Emmitt Smith - HOF
1994 Steve Young (2)
1995 Brett Favre - HOF
1996 Brett Favre (2)
1997 Brett Favre (3)
Barry Sanders - HOF
1998 Terrell Davis - Not in HOF
1999 Kurt Warner
2000 Marshall Faulk - HOF
2001 Kurt Warner (2)
2002 Rich Gannon - Not in HOF
2003 Peyton Manning - HOF
Steve McNair - ?
2004 Peyton Manning (2)
2005 Shaun Alexander - ?
2006 LaDainian Tomlinson - HOF
2007 Tom Brady - HOF

The fact that Warner has 2 NFL MVPs, plus a Super Bowl ring and MVP will get him in.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
I wonder if there are any NFL MVPs of the past say 30 years, that arent in the HOF.

You'll be surprised.

Super Bowl era MVPs and their HOF status:

In: Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Alan Page, OJ Simpson, Fran Tarkenton, Walter Payton, Terry Bradshaw, Earl Campbell, Dan Marino, Marcus Allen, Lawrence Taylor, John Elway, Joe Montana, Thurman Thomas, Steve Young, Barry Sanders.

Out: Earl Morrall, Roman Gabriel, John Brodie, Larry Brown, Ken Stabler, Bert Jones, Brian Sipe, Ken Anderson, Mark Moseley, Joe Theismann, Boomer Esiason, Terrell Davis.

Not yet eligible: Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Rich Gannon, Peyton Manning, Steve McNair, Shaun Alexander, LaDainian Tomlinson, Tom Brady.

Note that almost all of the MVPs on the outside looking in are QBs.

Where Warner would be unusual is in being a two-time MVP who doesn't get in. The list of two-time (or more) MVPs is pretty short:
Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning and Kurt Warner.

Last edited:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I dont think going back to '57 is relevant as the game has changed immensley since then.
I don't think that how much the game has changed makes much of a difference. We are discussing the number of years of excellence, not whether it would translate through time.
The fact that Warner has 2 NFL MVPs, plus a Super Bowl ring and MVP will get him in.
This is spot on though. The people that aren't in that were MVPs don't have Warner's credentials, especially when you throw in his passing records.