William Gay

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hated the signing in the first place. In the HOF game, he looked like Antonio Cromartie trying to tackle (not a compliment).

Ask any Steelers fan, he was the Mike Adams of their team, without the special teams contributions. I.E. A CB who gets smoked every 5 minutes.

Considering we are going to have to cut 3 good CB prospects, it really makes me sick that William Gay is a virtual lock to make this roster. Its crazy, ive wondered every year "Is this the year we finally cut Adams?", and now that that time has seemingly come, I want nothing more than to keep him.

biggest thing thats bugging me about this team right now is Gay. He looked like garbage in that HOF game, as expected, and theres no sign hes going to improve. Calling it now, hes going to be the biggest liability on our D. Its going to take several wide open flys and lost games for Whiz to pull him too.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A former Steeler is all you need to know. Agreed he looked timid in the Saints game. A combo of Deion and DRC and he certainly didn't get dirty. Hopefully Toler will step up and grab this position.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't alone in looking terrible in that last game. It's not an excuse--they're all professional football players--but they were in camp for what, all of 11 days?

Reaction score
I was NOT excited about the signing of Gay in the first place. However Bodha, you're beating this drum way too early.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He wasn't alone in looking terrible in that last game. It's not an excuse--they're all professional football players--but they were in camp for what, all of 11 days?

I was NOT excited about the signing of Gay in the first place. However Bodha, you're beating this drum way too early.

Usually, thatd be right, but this situation is different.

-Hes not a rookie.
-Hes not new to this D (because he was a Steeler, as pointed out)

In other words, he has very few excuses for his terrible play. Historically, hes terrible. That wasnt just a 'bad game'

We are in danger of losing Toler, Jefferson, Eddie Elder (who I think is a possible Adub replacement) Bethel or Adams because of this guy, and that infuriates me.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Same for the Saints and they didn't seem to have the problems our guys did. Could be another CKW possum job though. Like the one he pulled vs Green Bay in week 17, 2009. :)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Preseason, meaning with the new NFL rules, a secondary is only as good as its pass rush. We generate a pass rush through exotic blitzes and Horton hardly shown any of that and Wilson and Docket did not play. The Saints needed no blitz packages because our OL has issues to say the least. To bail on Gay so early is hilarious.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just rated this thread 5 stars for the sole reason it had the word "gay" in the title.. WTFN :D

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same for the Saints and they didn't seem to have the problems our guys did. Could be another CKW possum job though. Like the one he pulled vs Green Bay in week 17, 2009. :)

Don't remind me of that game. I paid dearly for seats, drove all theway over from Albq, sat with a bazillion cheeseheads and the Cards lost 88-6, or so it seemed, and then couldn't come the next week for the best playoff game ever played....

Last edited:

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Jefferson isn't good either, every time a ball is thrown to his receiver he is out of position and has to get lucky with badly thrown balls to not allow a catch.
I think the same about Toler, he leaves so much cushion and reacts too slowly, he doesn't really play coverage, he just tackles a lot. Lots of people think our secondary will be great when we can get someone opposite P Twice. I don't think Toler is that guy though, I don't really remember seeing him do anything great. Toler coming off his injury isn't exciting at all for me.

Fleming looked good though.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hated the signing in the first place. In the HOF game, he looked like Antonio Cromartie trying to tackle (not a compliment).

Ask any Steelers fan, he was the Mike Adams of their team, without the special teams contributions. I.E. A CB who gets smoked every 5 minutes.

Considering we are going to have to cut 3 good CB prospects, it really makes me sick that William Gay is a virtual lock to make this roster. Its crazy, ive wondered every year "Is this the year we finally cut Adams?", and now that that time has seemingly come, I want nothing more than to keep him.

biggest thing thats bugging me about this team right now is Gay. He looked like garbage in that HOF game, as expected, and theres no sign hes going to improve. Calling it now, hes going to be the biggest liability on our D. Its going to take several wide open flys and lost games for Whiz to pull him too.

Sounds similar to K-9's evaluation of Marshall before last season.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I'm so sick of the they were only in camp for so long or it's only the first game. They have been playing football since they were kids!

Face it our team just doesn't have a tough mindset.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We need to remember though the following things.

1. It was the Saints and the QB that put up 400 more yards than Dan Marino ever did last year. (when talking about starters)

2. For whatever reason (and one reason might have been....1st preseason game) we had our corners giving huge cushions.

3. A combo of 1 and 2 Drew Brees and their backups (and our cb backups) did the same and they ran short routes all day long.

Personally I wonder what the long pass (before YAC) was for the Saints in that game. It couldn't of been much more than 10 yards.

This isn't a Gay statement, or a Toler or whatever. This is basically an overall statement.

We played off, they threw short, and our guys missed some tackles early in preseason.

If our defense is going to continuously have us play 10 yards off well, this problem might continue. If our defense continues to tackle crappy, this problem might continue. But I think we won't always play so off the ball. I think as a whole NFL players will get better at tackling by regular season.

With play like that there is always reason for concern. But at this stage of the season there is more reason for calm and hope.

(and as for what we did, we actually were running routes downfield, the Saints just played the 'take whatever you can get' approach). While many people say the Saints looked good. I don't think so. They ran a safe offense, nothing more. It'll tend to work in week 1 of preseason, but not in week 8 let alone the playoffs. Though I'm pretty sure they know that, and ran what they needed to, but they didn't really learn anything. Then again, they didn't need to learn anything. The onus was on us to improve and we ran our offense. The onus for the Saints was just to play smart and survive.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This isn't a Gay statement, or a Toler or whatever. This is basically an overall statement.

We played off, they threw short, and our guys missed some tackles early in preseason.

Sums up the Saints offense vs our defense fairly well. Hard to blame any one guy when the Saints QBs could just dump off to wide open guys and they could run forever. Saints RBs had 12 receptions for 124 yards Sunday. So our D basically let the Saints do what they do best. Throw the ball to the RBs. Their Backs had 158 receptions last season. Our guys had 49.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sounds similar to K-9's evaluation of Marshall before last season.

Not remotely the same. Marshall put up excellent numbers in Carolina. He was just inconsistent.

Gay is consistently inconsistent.

- He has 3 picks in 7 years BTW. What a talent.

- Richard had 12 in the same timeframe.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not remotely the same. Marshall put up excellent numbers in Carolina. He was just inconsistent.

Gay is consistently inconsistent.

- He has 3 picks in 7 years BTW. What a talent.

- Richard had 12 in the same timeframe.

Check out the number of picks for other Pitt corners over the period, and you'll note that it isn't a by-product of the design of that "D". Two seasons ago, Gay had a bad year, no doubt, but he was much improved last season.

Take the time to check.

And, Marshall had a poor season, to put it mildly, in his final year in Carolina.

He said, also, that he took a 1-year deal in AZ to prove his worth.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Check out the number of picks for other Pitt corners over the period, and you'll note that it isn't a by-product of the design of that "D". Two seasons ago, Gay had a bad year, no doubt, but he was much improved last season. Take the time to check.

Check what? Besides Troy, The Steelers secondary has never been great.

Gay was the backup to Bryant McFadden.

Should I repeat that? William Gay was the BACKUP to BRYANT MCFADDEN.

And, Marshall had a poor season, to put it mildly, in his final year in Carolina.
He said, also, that he took a 1-year deal in AZ to prove his worth.

Im aware, thats why I said hes inconsistent.

Pretend this was a Bills fansite, and we just signed Levi Brown, and I made this thread saying hes terrible.

All of you are arguing its too soon, give him time. Dont judge too quickly. Hes going to improve a ton.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This isn't a Gay statement.

:)

Like others have mentioned Gay wasnt the only one missing tackles. Hopefully Fleming takes the job sooner rather then later as Toler hasnt been impressive apparently.

Gay is best served as a 3rd corner. Whomever is on the other side is going to get picked on with P Twice locking down the other side maybe I am naive but this is down the laundrey list of "issues" IMO.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Check what? Besides Troy, The Steelers secondary has never been great.

Gay was the backup to Bryant McFadden.

Should I repeat that? William Gay was the BACKUP to BRYANT MCFADDEN.

Im aware, thats why I said hes inconsistent.

Pretend this was a Bills fansite, and we just signed Levi Brown, and I made this thread saying hes terrible.

All of you are arguing its too soon, give him time. Dont judge too quickly. Hes going to improve a ton.

For your edification. He replaced McFadden last season. I repeat: He REPLACED McFadden last season!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
William Gay was brought here to take on Richard Marshall's role. He will take some first down snaps at RCB, but the majority of the time he will be playing the nickel and sometimes inverting to safety.

Jamell Fleming, A.J. Jefferson and Greg Toler will all see action at RCB---just as Jefferson did when he was no longer starting.

I put them in that order because I think that's Horton's current order----

And the player who is climbing up the CB ladder very quickly is Larry Parker.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
William Gay was brought here to take on Richard Marshall's role. He will take some first down snaps at RCB, but the majority of the time he will be playing the nickel and sometimes inverting to safety.

Jamell Fleming, A.J. Jefferson and Greg Toler will all see action at RCB---just as Jefferson did when he was no longer starting.

I put them in that order because I think that's Horton's current order----

And the player who is climbing up the CB ladder very quickly is Larry Parker.

Precisely!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05