With Fitz, it's not about the money-----

OmeneX

\m/___\m/
Reaction score
Fitz leaving is in no way about the money. #11 will be paid a ton of money no matter which team he ends up playing for.

What is relevant is that Larry wants to be remembered as one of the greatest Football players and to win a Superbowl. This is where the conversation starts and stops regarding Fitzgerald leaving Arizona.

I do believe he truly wants to win as a Cardinal, but if the team completely bombs this season.. our chances of playing the next season without Fitzgerald seem scary plausible.

I could only hope he would agree to a 1-2 year big $$$ contract if this season is terrible. Giving the team a small opportunity and further time to become better with Kolb. Affording the Cardinals a chance to trade him for at least something in return to a team that HE picks to play for. He doesn't strike me as a person to leave "his" team completely high and dry.

That's being optimistic in a bad situation, and I'm usually not a pessimistic person.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great now you calling something that hasn't even happened "reality" quite frankly you are being delusional when you make comments like that.

Delusional------name calling again are we Shane?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being the voice of pure sanity. I need to go now. I can't be late for group therapy. They will take my telephone rights away.

Well, the odds are good you'll be surrounded by Cards fans so it can't be all bad. And besides, reality is way overrated.

Steve

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Fitz leaving is in no way about the money. #11 will be paid a ton of money no matter which team he ends up playing for.

What is relevant is that Larry wants to be remembered as one of the greatest Football players and to win a Superbowl. This is where the conversation starts and stops regarding Fitzgerald leaving Arizona.

I do believe he truly wants to win as a Cardinal, but if the team completely bombs this season.. our chances of playing the next season without Fitzgerald seem scary plausible.

I could only hope he would agree to a 1-2 year big $$$ contract if this season is terrible. Giving the team a small opportunity and further time to become better with Kolb. Affording the Cardinals a chance to trade him for at least something in return to a team that HE picks to play for. He doesn't strike me as a person to leave "his" team completely high and dry.

That's being optimistic in a bad situation, and I'm usually not a pessimistic person.

Well said, Omenex. Very very well said.

If Fitz isn't re-signed in the next few weeks, the last chance for the Cardinals to get something in return would be the trading deadline. Fitz may still feel in limbo by then---and the Cardinals will have to hope he remains loyal---but if they are offering him the highest $$$ contract for a WR right now (which they basically said the were going to do) and he defers making a decision on it---that would likely suggest there's a more than 50/50 chance he will sign elsewhere next year. Fitz has all the leverage. This one is hairy.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I fully expect Graves to make an offer and get this done prior to the season. The team has proven they are willing to spend to get better I just don't think there was enough FA talent to get it all done in one season - i.e. pass rush. 52 signings was a good start. Fitz has to believe they are commited with signings like Kolb, Heap, King, Housler, Williams etc. Larry is one horrific play away from a career ending injury so why would he not accept a contract making him the highest paid Cardinal in history and one of the top in the NFL? My fear is that he does sign it and the unthinkable injury happens.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Delusional------name calling again are we Shane?

Delusional is a name? Someone predicting the future and calling it "reality" is about as delusional as it gets no?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one is hairy.

How is it hairy? You have said its a done deal he is as good as gone? So whats hairy about that?

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's my delusional thought of the day.

Everything I've seen and heard from Fitz indicates that he wants to remain a Card and the trade and signing of Kolb was a clear sign that the team is committed to winning. Thus, to the chagrin of some of the resident GM's, I predict that Fitz will humbly accept to becoming the highest paid player at his position in the uniform of the Arizona Cardinals.

(Of course, I take this all back unless we sign a NT and pass rusher between now and opening day because I'm sure this weighs heavy on Fitz's mind)

Last edited:

OmeneX

\m/___\m/
Reaction score
Very true Mitch. If he defers a large contract from the Cardinals it would indeed not bode well for the near future of the team.

Others seem to keep forgetting that Fitz will receive a very lucrative contract whoever he ends up playing for. Most likely he will end up being the highest paid league WR anyways for whichever lucky team lands him. Which we should add, that there will be no shortage of offers on the table for his services.

Would he really continue with a team (Cardinals) that he does profess loyalty to, when faced with possibly not accomplishing his own stated personal and inner goals? There comes a time when everyone has to make a choice between loyalty or truth. That he may just never get a Superbowl ring staying with AZ. Nevermind making it to the HOF.

The man will make alot of money in either situation he chooses. So $$$ cannot be involved in the conversation. I'm sure the changes the FO has made so far have made significant strides to affect change in his perception of the teams near term future though. However, winning or losing is and always has been the real test that must be passed.

In my own rosy selfish world. Fitz stays with the Cards till the bitter end no matter what. Either that or our team becomes an NFL contender and he accomplishes his dreams forever wearing a Red Cardinal jersey.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I think they'll work it out and Fitz will stay in AZ. If week 1 starts and a deal isn't done, I'll start to get a little concerned.

Until then I'm not going to waste my time sitting around worrying about drama and bashing the Cardinals for something that hasn't even happened yet.

If that makes me delusional then bring on the purple elephants!

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I fully expect Graves to make an offer and get this done prior to the season. The team has proven they are willing to spend to get better I just don't think there was enough FA talent to get it all done in one season - i.e. pass rush. 52 signings was a good start. Fitz has to believe they are commited with signings like Kolb, Heap, King, Housler, Williams etc. Larry is one horrific play away from a career ending injury so why would he not accept a contract making him the highest paid Cardinal in history and one of the top in the NFL? My fear is that he does sign it and the unthinkable injury happens.

Sorry, Reddog, but they passed over possible signings after Whizenhunt informed the front office that he believed they had enough signed to do the job. Since that time, they have decided not to even compete for a #2 WR, and let the last two good ones get away from them. They passed on a starting LT, (he was released by Minnesota for reporting overweight). We might have been able to do the same with him as we did with Deuce. Sign him, but don't let him start until he gets his weight under control. we chose to pass again. I know that there were not any real stud pass rushers available in Free Agency, so why did we pass over taking even one in the draft? We still need a proven backup nose tackle and we have chosen to try to use Eason, a defensive end to plug that hole. So much for fixing the problem----(we are still sitting on more than 14 mil). I am not saying that they did not do well, (they just quit before they did well enough). This team is not equipped to compete at the Super Bowl level, and that is Fitz's wish. If we do not address that, he will leave for a team that will, (or has addressed it). He WILL get the money, either from us or from a Super Bowl Contender. Guess which deal he will take?????

OmeneX

\m/___\m/
Reaction score
I think they'll work it out and Fitz will stay in AZ. If week 1 starts and a deal isn't done, I'll start to get a little concerned.

Until then I'm not going to waste my time sitting around worrying about drama and bashing the Cardinals for something that hasn't even happened yet.

If that makes me delusional then bring on the purple elephants!

Nice black lace outfit she's wearing! Cha chang cha chang!

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Delusional is a name? Someone predicting the future and calling it "reality" is about as delusional as it gets no?

Calling someone delusional is still name calling. It is just not a 'proper' name.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice black lace outfit she's wearing! Cha chang cha chang!
lol I know right? I had never seen the video, the title of the thread just reminded me of the song.;)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Has this been resolved yet?

Look Larry reworked his last deal so his contract would be on his terms. The team can not place the franchise tag on him and it ended when we wanted. I am sure they where thinking the New CBA would bring more guaranteed money, which they are.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Great now you calling something that hasn't even happened "reality" quite frankly you are being delusional when you make comments like that.

I dont see how that's name calling. He didn't even call him delusional, he qualified it to say that he is "Being delusional when you make comments like that."

Sorry, that's not name calling.

You guys may very well be right, or Shane might be right, these are future events that have not transpired yet. I dont know why any of you are arguing at all.... Seems a bit futile at this point. Cant this all just be settled with a "We'll see" and a bro-hug? :)

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz will sign. He will get a ton of money. If things don't go the way he wants as far as becoming a championship caliber team, he will demand a trade.
The Cards will oblige and he will eventually enter the Hall of Fame with another teams colors.

The trade will net us a couple has beens and a bunch of draft picks that we will use to rebuild the team. In the mean time Kolbs contract will run out and he will go to another team, to the Hall of Fame, in another teams colors.

It won't bother us because Max Hall will have finally developed into a potential All Pro QB.

We will trade Ryan Williams to a contending team because we will have used one of the draft picks to replace him. He will go on to play in 3 pro bowls and, you guessed it, will go on to the Hall of Fame in another teams colors.

Tongue in cheek of course. But , if we can't find a way to recognize talent before they reach their prime as they become free agents, the cycle will continue.

Would we not be a better team today with Dansby, Rolle, Breaston, DRC, and Boldin added to our current mix?

Just sayin.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry, Reddog, but they passed over possible signings after Whizenhunt informed the front office that he believed they had enough signed to do the job. Since that time, they have decided not to even compete for a #2 WR, and let the last two good ones get away from them. They passed on a starting LT, (he was released by Minnesota for reporting overweight). We might have been able to do the same with him as we did with Deuce. Sign him, but don't let him start until he gets his weight under control. we chose to pass again. I know that there were not any real stud pass rushers available in Free Agency, so why did we pass over taking even one in the draft? We still need a proven backup nose tackle and we have chosen to try to use Eason, a defensive end to plug that hole. So much for fixing the problem----(we are still sitting on more than 14 mil). I am not saying that they did not do well, (they just quit before they did well enough). This team is not equipped to compete at the Super Bowl level, and that is Fitz's wish. If we do not address that, he will leave for a team that will, (or has addressed it). He WILL get the money, either from us or from a Super Bowl Contender. Guess which deal he will take?????

Not compete for a no. 2 receiver... where did you get that?

What has been reported is that Edwards turned down more $$$ from AZ to sign with SF. We don't know how much real interest there was in Floyd and evidently teams with a dire need for W/O passed on him. And, we simply don't know what, if anything, was offered to Buffalo.

Have a hard time imagining that our answer at LT is a guy who got cut because he couldn't pass a physical in Minny, and is now asking for $3M for one year.

We didn't take any "stud" OLB pass rushers in the draft because there was precisely one and he was selected by Denver.

If Eason or anyone else on the present roster can't effectively sub for Dumpster Dan they'll pick up some wide body up.

So, given your conclusion that FITZ wants a Super Bowl ready team, and since we are not and won't be between now and September, FITZ is gone, right?

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calling someone delusional is still name calling. It is just not a 'proper' name.

If we take words like "delusional" out of the mix it's going to make for some boring conversation. It's pretty much slang for not only do I think you're wrong but I think you're REALLY WRONG. I've never seen it used in anything less than a friendly fashion though so perhaps I just travel in different circles. AFAIWC, Mitch responded in the same fashion the comment was intended.

Steve

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we take words like "delusional" out of the mix it's going to make for some boring conversation. It's pretty much slang for not only do I think you're wrong but I think you're REALLY WRONG. I've never seen it used in anything less than a friendly fashion though so perhaps I just travel in different circles. AFAIWC, Mitch responded in the same fashion the comment was intended.

Steve

However, saying that someone has "delusions of adequacy" is less than friendly. ;)

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We didn't take any "stud" OLB pass rushers in the draft because there was precisely one and he was selected by Denver.

IMO the mistake was made when they drafted RW in rd 2 instead of adding Moch, Reed or Clayborn to play OLB. We couldve survived with the combo of THT/Wells considering we will probably still throw the ball 40+ times every game. Instead, we're relying on 2 has beens & 2 unproven youngsters to make the 3-4 work. The Steelers & Ravens seem to always draft their edge rushers years in advance & give them 3 yrs to develop & we continue sputter inobscurity by adding washed up versions of OLB's.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“Every acquisition we make makes the team better," he added. "I don’t want to leave Arizona. This is where I started, I love living in the Valley. I feel this is my family here, and I want to be here as long as I possibly can.”

Quarterback Kevin Kolb, who just spent the summer being wooed by Fitzgerald to come to Arizona, said "I'll do my part for sure" to convince Fitzgerald to stay.

"Hopefully we have that chemistry right off the bat and he'll want to stay and we will build a great future and we can go and win a Super Bowl," Kolb said.
From a Darren Urban column

Why should we not believe what Fitz is saying??? Why are we in a panic mode?
Graves is making this his top priority. It will get done and announced before the start of the season.
Bring on the Packers!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05