Wohack traded

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Wow, dreams really do come true! Great job by Garagiola, addition by subraction. It's really a good move for Womack too as he never would have played here.

adam

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck to Tony Womack...and thank you for 4 years of service.

(never a big fan of kicking players on their way out.)

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it interesting that these castaways are willing to play other positions for their new teams, heh.

Womack goes to the bottom of the pecking order at Colorado compare that to his sulking over his no playing time veteran status and being a clubhouse cancer in AZ.

From the Denver Post

Intrigued by his speed and leadership, Womack will serve as a utility player for the Rockies, filling in at shortstop, second base and in the outfield.

"I am a shortstop at heart, but when you get traded, you listen to what they have in mind and deal with it," Womack said. "It's easier to accept, because there are no secrets. They were upfront. The Diamondbacks didn't have a plan for me, and this team wanted me."

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
According to Schulte and the talk on "diamondtalk" last night, the reason they traded him for little and still paid his contract was twofold, they didn't want to just "drop" someone who was vital in winning the world series, and because he was not considered a club cancer, they wanted to let the other veterans know that not everyone will be "kicked to the curb". I'm glad Dbacks mgt. has more maturity than most of you, high paid or not, atheletes play harder for teams that show some loyalty.
Who are you going to pick on now that Matt and Tony are gone?
OK, Start the mud slinging back.
But do some of you really wonder why Curt Schilling and others don't post here anymore?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Perhaps we should just retire the phrase "clubhouse cancer." None of us knows, and it's usually just a way to make a pet peeve sound semi-legitimate or like the speaker has some inside track. Most of these decisions are financial, performance/roster-based, or otherwise pragmatic, with the effect on 'chemistry' a consideration, but probably not the primary one.

Tony generally played hard, but for some mental reason couldn't seem to get it all firing until late in the season, every year. Last August I told a friend "Remind me in May and June that I'll love Womack in August and September." He was sensitive, by all reports, but I never heard a word about his being a bad teammate.

To send one of the hot youngsters down so Tony could play back-up infield would have sent an unsettling message to all our new guys (and wouldn't have pleased many fans, I bet); to cut someone else from the 40-man was apparently unacceptable; and letting veterans know the team would try to be respectful - all that stuff got taken care of in this move.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Hear, hear. The term clubhouse cancer is the most overused and improperly applied baseball term around. Seems when fans don't like someone they instantly become a "clubhouse cancer" to the fan. Doesn't matter the reality of how the teammates feel about him.

OP
OP
M

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
The fact is, the Diamondbacks traded Tony Womack because he wasn't going to play. Alex Cintron beat him out for the shortstop job. If the Diamondbacks had activated Tony and sat him on the bench while Cintron and Counsell played short, it would have caused all kinds of problems. The Diamondbacks just headed off a possible ugly situation by trading him.

Tony wasn't a cancer, he played hard all the time and tried his best. All his teamates liked and respected Tony. But the facts are, Tony was not part of the future of this team. This is the last year of his contract and the Diamondbacks were not bringing him back.

The fact that they are paying his salary and only got a class A player in return, should give us a pretty good indication of his worth. I'm sure the Diamondbacks feel fortunate that they got a team to take him at all.

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
It gives him a chance to prove that he still belongs in the major leagues, and get a new start with another team.
I can't argue that Tony should have been traded, and that Cintron should replace him.
Just all the name calling gets on my nerves.
10 to 1 Overbay is the next whipping boy.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stan C

10 to 1 Overbay is the next whipping boy.

Sorry, but when you are a professional athlete, you are often scrutinized by the public, because you have a very public job. When someone is not performing well, what do you expect? With the millions of dollars comes very high expectations, and fans have the right to be disappointed.

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by ASUCHRIS
Sorry, but when you are a professional athlete, you are often scrutinized by the public, because you have a very public job. When someone is not performing well, what do you expect? With the millions of dollars comes very high expectations, and fans have the right to be disappointed.

hahah. that's capitalist democracy for you in a nutshell.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Smolder
hahah. that's capitalist democracy for you in a nutshell.

lol, the proletariat will rise against the bourgeoise in short time, and your capitalist democracy problems will be a thing of the past...:thumbup:

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by ASUCHRIS
lol, the proletariat will rise against the bourgeoise in short time, and your capitalist democracy problems will be a thing of the past...:thumbup:

:p

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now that Womack is in Colorado, I suppose the D'Backs will have to re-do the openings for the TV games.....although, when you see Junior and Tony turning the double-play, I guess he wasn't all bad.