Worst franchises in Pro Sports: Cards #3!

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Someone is bound to post this. Might as be an actual Cardinal fan:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8098378/Top-10:-Worst-franchises-in-pro-sports?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002
The Cardinals logo appears next to "loser" in the NFL dictionary. The Cardinals have made just four playoff appearances in 45 years since Bill Bidwill got his hands on the team. Bidwill is known as a cheapo, which explains why the Cardinals are always short on star power and talent. The closest they've come to success was when Cuba Gooding, Jr. as Rod Tidwell, in the movie "Jerry McGuire," wore a Cardinals jersey.
Puzzling personnel plays: Signing Emmitt Smith, and drafting Andre Wadsworth and Kelly Stouffer (when the team was in St. Louis).
Remember ... 2003: The Arizona Cardinals were abysmal, and it was head coach Dave McGinnis' second and last season. At 3-12, the Cardinals had the first pick overall in sight, but instead decided to play spoiler in Week 17 to the Minnesota Vikings. Cardinals' quarterback Josh McCown found Nathan Poole falling out of the end zone on the last play of the game to ruin the Vikings' playoff hopes and keep the Cardinals out of the first slot in the draft, which was Super Bowl XLII MVP Eli Manning.

For the record, the top 10 are:

10. Los Angeles Clippers
9. Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies
8. Atlantic Hawks
7. Minnesota Twins
6. Boston Bruins
5. Detroit Lions
4. Tampa Bay Rays
3. Arizona Cardinals
2. Kansas City Royals
1. Pittsburgh Pirates

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Someone is bound to post this. Might as be an actual Cardinal fan:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8098378/Top-10:-Worst-franchises-in-pro-sports?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

For the record, the top 10 are:

10. Los Angeles Clippers
9. Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies
8. Atlantic Hawks
7. Minnesota Twins
6. Boston Bruins
5. Detroit Lions
4. Tampa Bay Rays
3. Arizona Cardinals
2. Kansas City Royals
1. Pittsburgh Pirates

How the hell are the Royals and Pirates ahead of Tampa Bay? Sure its been awhile but at least they both have World Series Banners to hang in their stadium. How does Tampa rank ahead of them? Obviously these writers are hacks. On principle if you are going to write about the worst of anything ever, you shouldn't do so with clearly erroneous reasoning. Hipocytes.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
and Kelly Stouffer (when the team was in St. Louis).

People forget that the Cards also picked up Ilia Jarostchuk and Mike Garalczyk in that draft.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did the Twins get on there? San Francisco Giants should be on instead.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How the hell are the Royals and Pirates ahead of Tampa Bay? Sure its been awhile but at least they both have World Series Banners to hang in their stadium. How does Tampa rank ahead of them? Obviously these writers are hacks. On principle if you are going to write about the worst of anything ever, you shouldn't do so with clearly erroneous reasoning. Hipocytes.

The Royals and Pirates have been HORRIBLE twice as long as Tampa Bay has existed.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
meh the cardinals deserve it make the playoffs more then two times in 50 plus years and they might get some respect

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why was drafting Wadsworth "puzzling?"

The guy was awesome...unless we could see the injury in the future, it wasn't "puzzling."

He had 16 sacks in his senior year, and was as "can't miss" as you can get.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1998/weekly/980420/skysthelimit.html

Yeah and winning that game against the Vikings cost the Cardinals Eli and they only got Fitzgerald. Eli is an alright QB and all but he just happend to be the QB of the team that won the superbowl not the driving force behind that team.

Not to mention Eli likely would have forced his way out of Az like he did SD anyway.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm complaining about the placement on that list (I'm thankful it's not higher), but I'd also say the Emmitt Smith signing wasn't that puzzling, either. He sold tickets and merchandise... oh, yeah, and did a better bit of running the football than we'd seen in Arizona for years.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
50-1, Baby. Current Vegas odds.

I'd much rather be "under the radar". ...And when we win, and WE WILL, it'll be payback to the zillion-th degree for all the crap we've put up with over the years! So, let 'em make all the noise they want. We're better!! The Fans know it; The Players know it; The Coaching staff knows it; and pretty soon everyone else will, too. ...And we'll just smile and enjoy the moment. GO CARDS!!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand why we are on the list, but their reasons are horrible.

Wadsworth would have been the third overall no matter who was picking there. He was hailed as the next Reggie White!! My God, its not like he sucked, his knees died. That is like saying Len Bias was a bad pick.

Fitz has been far better than Eli thusfar.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not that I'm complaining about the placement on that list (I'm thankful it's not higher), but I'd also say the Emmitt Smith signing wasn't that puzzling, either. He sold tickets and merchandise... oh, yeah, and did a better bit of running the football than we'd seen in Arizona for years.

No one who was at SDS in that 2003 season believes that Emmitt Smith sold any tickets or merchandise.

What an abomination that season was.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
the sad thing is if this franchise was in a place of eastern relevance it would be hands down #1.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one was saying the Wadsworth pick was bad when we raped San Diego to move up one space in the draft. You can't predict major injuries.

And I'm still cool with playing the spoiler to the Vikings. One of my best Cardinal memories. :)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
No one was saying the Wadsworth pick was bad when we raped San Diego to move up one space in the draft. You can't predict major injuries.

And I'm still cool with playing the spoiler to the Vikings. One of my best Cardinal memories. :)

That was my second worst, the Bears meltdown was essentailly the final straw for me, I haven't been a real Cardinal fan since after trying hard for 15 years it wasn't worth the pain amymore. As for the Vikings game I am pretty sure I vomitted after that meaningless win because I figured McCown secured a 6 year deal with that pass, thank God it didn't happen. I'll never forget it, I was cleaning my grout while listening to the radio, I just knew they were going to score that meaningless TD.

Last edited:

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Yes Eli has a SB ring but does anyone really feel like he is the better of the Manning Bros?

Wadsworth is any injury casualty...

Smith ran the ball wel in year two, post injury

Stouffer was not a bad pick based upon recent success, the worse play was the failure to sign him, oooops! Shades of Namath....

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
How in the world can a list of the worst franchises not included the Knicks or the Lions?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the world can a list of the worst franchises not included the Knicks or the Lions?

The Lions were #6. The Knicks have a storied history, they are just in a funk right now.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NHL must have been off limits. Actually if it wasn't they might get all Ten spots.

If there was a category for worst sports towns ( must have at least 3 major programs ) I would nominate Miami/South Florida. (based on last full season )

Dolphins 1-15
Heat 15-67
Panthers 37-35
Marlins 71-91
U of Miami Canes 5-7

pogoowner

Reaction score
The Pirates haven't had a winning season in 15 YEARS. They're easily the worst-run team in Major League Baseball.