Would anyone be DISSAPOINTED if we wind up with Roth??

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend today (eagles clown) who was saying that if we wind up with Roth, the odds are greater that he will become the next Leaf then be a winning qb. He acknowledged that the draft is a crap shoot, but proceeded to roast us for being stupid enough to win that last game. Well that's all water under the bridge now, so will anyone be that dissapointed if we do wind up with B.R.? He also went on to say that if we don't get Eli, we shouldn't draft Ben at all. I really trust (don't know why, maybe it's Mr. Green) that we'll do the right thing regardless. I'm looking forward to seeing more Roth highlights in the coming months as the draft approaches, as I really don't watch that much college ball. I need to know we'll be okay. That's all.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be more excited about Rothlisberger than I would be about Eli. Everything I saw of these 2 in college told me Ben was the better QB.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I only saw Ben play in one game, but in that game he reminded me of Elway. I think he has a bright future, it may be a blessing if he fell to us.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
if rothlisberger had a last name like bradshaw or montana then he would be the number one pick, eli is great but if you look at his and roth's talent side by side i'd give the edge to roth.

OP
OP
phillycard

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, that's positive affirmation gang. Thanks! Again, I really need to see more Ben to know what the fuss is about.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
I'd be more excited about Rothlisberger than I would be about Eli. Everything I saw of these 2 in college told me Ben was the better QB.

Pariah:

Some very intelligent people believed that Ryan Leaf had more raw ability, and considerably more upside, than Peyton Manning. Bobby Beathard thought he'd drafted the Chargers' starting quarterback for the next decade, if not longer.

Strong-armed college QBs are like fast wideouts. People fall in love with the physical tools and assume that these naturally gifted kids can play at the next level. Often, they can't.

I'm not saying I think Ben Roethlisberger is a bust waiting to happen. But I don't think he's a lock for the Pro Bowl in 3-5 years, either.

I think Eli Manning is. And that whichever team gets him will be glad they did.

WC

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And lots of intellegent people are calling Eli a "can't miss" prospect. What's your point?

I'm not saying Ben is most certainly going to be better, but I'm also not blind to the fact that Eli could miss. I just like what I saw of Ben in college better, that's all.

Also, by all accounts, Ben has a pretty good head on his shoulders, and doesn't SEEM to be a Ryan Leaf-type. I think those comparisons are unfair. Yeah, you've got a 1-2 scenario involving a Manning and a big, strong armed QB--but what if that big strong armed QB was Dante Culppepper or Byron Leftwich? Just because there's a 1-2 QB controversey in a draft doen't mean that one is destined to failure.

ELi will probably be very good. I think the same thing about Ben.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
Pariah:

Some very intelligent people believed that Ryan Leaf had more raw ability, and considerably more upside, than Peyton Manning. Bobby Beathard thought he'd drafted the Chargers' starting quarterback for the next decade, if not longer.

Strong-armed college QBs are like fast wideouts. People fall in love with the physical tools and assume that these naturally gifted kids can play at the next level. Often, they can't.

I'm not saying I think Ben Roethlisberger is a bust waiting to happen. But I don't think he's a lock for the Pro Bowl in 3-5 years, either.

I think Eli Manning is. And that whichever team gets him will be glad they did.

WC

I agree. And Roethlisberger was also pathetic in a couple of the big games (especially against Iowa) that he played.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
If Eli Manning's last name was Smith, Roethlisberger would be the clear number one draft pick. Manning has gotten so much hype since he was a freshman, that he is now in the Lebron James category of "must be number one pick or GM may get fired". There is, and has been for a while, so much talk about Manning being "can't miss" that teams will be afraid to pass on him for PR purposes. If he's a stud and your team passed, you look bad. If this were Ben R. and Eli Smith, no question that Ben is the first QB taken. Was the better QB in college- better stats, better raw talent, and didn't have SEC receivers to throw to. The MAC's recent QB track record doesn't hurt his status either.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
If Eli Manning's last name was Smith, Roethlisberger would be the clear number one draft pick. Manning has gotten so much hype since he was a freshman, that he is now in the Lebron James category of "must be number one pick or GM may get fired". There is, and has been for a while, so much talk about Manning being "can't miss" that teams will be afraid to pass on him for PR purposes. If he's a stud and your team passed, you look bad. If this were Ben R. and Eli Smith, no question that Ben is the first QB taken. Was the better QB in college- better stats, better raw talent, and didn't have SEC receivers to throw to. The MAC's recent QB track record doesn't hurt his status either.

I disagree. For four seasons, Manning proved that he was a better player by playing against better competition, with an inferior supporting cast.

No player is a "can't miss" and anyone who says that is full of ****. Manning is just more of a safer bet, that's all. He has the support system of two NFL QBs in his family and has played and won against significantly better competition.

Roeth only played one "good" team this year and he was absolutely terrible in that game (a 20-3 defeat against Iowa).

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Ryan Leaf was not a bad pick on draft day. You can't rate "bust potential". Roth is a top 3 pick.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Your Title

I'll be disappointed if we DON'T get Roth (don't like that name so let's say Big Ben).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no sure thing. But, personally, I think Big Ben will be better than Manning.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I disagree. For four seasons, Manning proved that he was a better player by playing against better competition, with an inferior supporting cast.

No player is a "can't miss" and anyone who says that is full of ****. Manning is just more of a safer bet, that's all. He has the support system of two NFL QBs in his family and has played and won against significantly better competition.

Roeth only played one "good" team this year and he was absolutely terrible in that game (a 20-3 defeat against Iowa).

I'll argue point by point.

Final BCS Standings: Miami, OH Strength of schedule 68, Mississippi Strength of Schedule 70. Very comparable schedule, and if you buy the BCS system, Ben played a tougher schedule. The fact that Eli was in the SEC doesn't mean anything anymore. He DID NOT play against better competition.

Yes, the support system is nice and will make any GM feel good about Eli, but it does not make him a better QB. I will agree that that makes him less likely to be a total bust, but no more likely to be successful.

And yes, Ben was awful against Iowa, I'll give you that. But to say that was the only good team he played is incorrect. Go ahead and rip the small conferences but Bowling Green finished the season ranked ahead of Florida (Eli's big win) and Ben beat them twice, the second of which was one of the more impressive games any QB had all year.

The competition they both faced was very comparable. For Manning's stats to equal Ben's, he would have to go 68 for his next 52 for 769 yards and 6 TDs. (Ben did throw one more pick). Ben's QB rating is 16 points higher. Ben's numbers were better all three years they both played college football. So again, if Eli's last name was Smith, Ben would be clear cut number one pick.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which conference did Heath Shuler play in? What conference did Chad Pennington play in?

Hhhhmmmmmm......

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Which conference did Heath Shuler play in? What conference did Chad Pennington play in?

Hhhhmmmmmm......

And Daunte Culpepper, Byron Leftwich, Steve McNair, John Kitna, Kelly Holcomb, Rich Gannon, Jay Feidler, David Carr, Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner. All pretty respectable names that went to schools not in the big six conferences. Among others...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed, per se, but I wouldn't be happy.

I feel Eli Manning possesses all the intangibles that make good quarterbacks great. He's already successfully audibling at the LOS in the college game, though not with the ADHD tendancies of Peyton... :)

Ben scares me, and it's a gut thing. If we draft him, I'll cheer my balls off for him to be successful, no doubt. I hope we somehow miraculously wind up with Eli though. I think he IS going to be a Super Bowl MVP one day.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by D-Dogg
I think he IS going to be a Super Bowl MVP one day.

Considering he will likely go to San Diego, Oakland or Arizona, don't hold your breath on a Super Bowl anytime soon.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think we ought to trade all of our draft picks away. Then we won't have to be so upset when the Cards don't draft who we think they should.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haven't we beaten this topic to death on more than one occasion. Most, not all, credible sources believe that Manning is the best QB in the draft. I personally think he is a FRANCHISE QB, probably the best since his brother came out 5-6 years ago. Yes, I think this kid is better than Vick & will be prepared to be the starting QB from Day 1. All that being said, if Manning is not available, then Rothlesberger is a GREAT pick. This kid is not a headcase & will be a very good NFL QB. It just sickens me to think how close we were to getting Manning. Oh well, life goes on as a Cardinal fan. Now if Manning & Ben are both gone, then I think Roy Williams is the pick for it would at least put our offense in position to implement Green's philosophies. With Boldin, Williams, Johnson & Freddie, this offense will put up serious points next year. Of course if we don't draft a QB, then McCown has to be the starter.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by BIGDADDY_REDBIRD
I don't know why anyone would think Eli is better than Michael Vick??? Not at this point ...:rolleyes:

Absolutely right. Peyton isn't even as good as Michael Vick, much less Eli. More successful yes, more talented no.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
Absolutely right. Peyton isn't even as good as Michael Vick, much less Eli. More successful yes, more talented no.
BS - Peyton is the best QB in the NFL. What he has done the last 2 weeks, Vick will NEVER do. Don't get me wrong, Vick IS exciting. But he will only end up with season ending injuries because of his reckless style. The problem with Vick is that he's too short to become a pocket passer, so he can't change his style. Talk to me in 15 yrs, when Peyton is in the HOF & Vick isn't.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
I was able to catch Big BEN vs CSU (Colorado State) He reminded me not because of the (# 7) but beacuse of his strong arm, & ability to make throws in & out of the pocket...of Johnny "Ball Game" Elway. to answer the question ????NO I would not be dis-appointed if we picked him. He's a PLAYER!!!!! take the risk ..Let him sit for a year behind any veteran x-cept Jeff Blake. It's not like we draft 1st round phenom's anyway!!!!we haven't had a first roung pick to make a immediate impact since we rafted Simeon Rice. Had to edit because I knew someone would mention Leonard Davis............:D But he's done nothing significant since his rookie year.

Last edited: