Would you consider this a fair trade?

spanky1

Reaction score
Miami really need a QB. If they are not successful in the Brunell sweeps, they are in a pickle because both Feidler and Greise are not the answer. If Roesthlisberger is available when we are on the clock at#3, would we consider the following:

a)Swap our #3 for their #20
b)Swap our #33 (1st pick, 2nd round) for Ogunleye and their #87 (which is their 1st pick in the 3rd round).

N.B. They do not have a 2nd round pick this year

Assuming we go after Robaire Smith (DT) and Winfield (CB) in FA and get them, that would allow us to target a CB with the #20 pick (we would get one of the top three here) and target a WR with our #64 (1st pick, round 3).

Our D-Line then looks like this:

RDE: Ogunleye (Dennis Johnson)
DT: Bryant (Bell)
DT: Robaire Smith (King, Tanner)
LDE: Pace (KVB)

Not too shabby eh!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's ok but we haven't yet determined if they CAN trade Ogunleye have we? He's an RFA, I don't think it's the same as a franchised player where they can trade him for whatever they choose to after signing him, it may be but I dont' recall it being done.

Ogunleye is certainly an intriguing guy to look at acquiring somehow. Same with Shaun Ellis who I believe is also an RFA.

Of course if Miami gets Henson somehow all bets are off.

I'm hoping they sign Blake , Wally Burger would love that!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ogunleye is a FA, to do this trade they would have to do a sign and trade, something that rarely if ever occurs in the NFL. Therefore the cap penalty would go against the Dolphins cap immediately. Seeing how they are already well over the salary cap for next year they couldn't even do the trade to begin with.

We could just sign the guy in FA and keep our draft pick

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
Ogunleye is a FA, to do this trade they would have to do a sign and trade, something that rarely if ever occurs in the NFL. Therefore the cap penalty would go against the Dolphins cap immediately. Seeing how they are already well over the salary cap for next year they couldn't even do the trade to begin with.

We could just sign the guy in FA and keep our draft pick

Along those lines, if they can't afford to tender him, does he then become a UFA?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Along those lines, if they can't afford to tender him, does he then become a UFA?

I believe so, there have been examples over the past few seasons of teams not wanting to tender a RFA and he essentially became a FA.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Ogunleye's status aside, this is not a fair trade. Using the draft pick values (3-2200, 34-560, 65-265 for the Cards picks, and 20-850, 88-150 for Miami's) this leaves 2025 "draft points" more that the Cards are giving up, which translates to a #3 overall pick. It they think that Ogunleye is worthy of a #3 overall, then it is a fair deal. I think the Cards would be getting robbed to do a deal like this.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trades really don't happen much in the NFL and Cards give up WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much in the draft, The #3 overall pick and 1st pick in the 2nd round. for too low 1st and 2nd rounders and Ogunleye. I vote no.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, he would become a UFA...but if he is as good as some people think, than I would think they would scrape together the $2,000,000 for the highest tender. He will get tendered IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
I believe so, there have been examples over the past few seasons of teams not wanting to tender a RFA and he essentially became a FA.

That's what I figured.

Sounds like Miami is now in the Brunell sweepstakes, in fact Jacksonville is now planning on holding him until after March 1st even if they have to pay him a 2 million roster bonus, because the trade market for him is higher than expected.

My prediction, they still trade him to Washington, then Washington trades Ramsey to Miami.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My prediction, they still trade him to Washington, then Washington trades Ramsey to Miami.

IMO, in the long run, Miami wins.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
IMO, in the long run, Miami wins.

Agreed, I like Ramsey I think he got a bum rap because of Spurrier. Spurrier didn't draft him so he never committed to him, then exposed him in that set with no pass protection.

Supposedly Gibbs wants a veteran QB thus the interest in Brunell. They were trying to trade for him while the rest of the NFL assumed he would be released before march 1 to avoid the roster bonus, but now word is out other teams are making offers including the already mentioned 2nd round pick from the Chargers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05