Would you trade up to get the player you want?

Would you trade up?

• Yes, to ensure getting our impact player.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • Yes, but only if we include a player in order to save our draft picks.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • No. see who's left at #10

Votes: 31 50.8%

• Total voters

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I for one would love to see the Cards get Vernon Davis. He instantly helps in both the passing and running games. To ensure that the Cards get him, they would most likely have to trade with the Packers or the 49er's. Trading with the Packers would likely require our 1st plus a couple of 3rd rounders. Trading with the 49er's would likely require our 1st and a 3rd rounder.

Now I don't know how trade much value Bryant Johson has, but it might be enough to save a 3rd round pick, or push it to a later pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. We're not good enough to give up a pick in order to move up. As it is, we have more roster holes to fill than we have picks.

The only exception to this (if we sign Hakim) might be to sacrifice Bryant Johnson and remove the natural road block he faces in the furthering of his NFL career.

Making this sort of move then becomes a matter of assessing who could help us more: (a) the guy we traded up to get or (b) BJ.

And even then, if we were to, say, switch picks and throw in BJ, we should shoot for another first-day pick as part of the deal.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would, but then I'd also always try to trade my 2nd day picks for more first day picks, go for it more on 4th and short, go for 2-point conversions more often and always have a either a backup QB or RB as a holder on FGs and extra points.

EDIT: If I tried to move up this year, though, it probably wouldn't be for Davis.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
No. We're not good enough to give up a pick in order to move up. As it is, we have more roster holes to fill than we have picks.

The only exception to this (if we sign Hakim) might be to sacrifice Bryant Johnson and remove the natural road block he faces in the furthering of his NFL career.

Making this sort of move then becomes a matter of assessing who could help us more: (a) the guy we traded up to get or (b) BJ.

And even then, if we were to, say, switch picks and throw in BJ, we should shoot for another first-day pick as part of the deal.

I really do not see any one player that will turn this team around this year so I would not trade up and give up picks. We need numbers and we will get a good player at #10 unless we are idiots.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not this year, no. I want one of the 3 QBs, but not enough to give up extra picks or players to get them. If one of them is there, fine. If not, oh well.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
john h said:
I really do not see any one player that will turn this team around this year so I would not trade up and give up picks. We need numbers and we will get a good player at #10 unless we are idiots.

of all the guys in 1-9 there are 2 that i feel we would go after..but one we would have to pay dearly for...the other may not require as much

ferguson moves right into the lineup.....with some risk
hawk....also solid enough to start for us...he can play any linebackesr spot....he wouldn't come cheap either.

i would not move for the rest....as you were...yeah i would....vernon davis....but that is it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with lobo in that I would move up for Ferguson. You may have to move all the way to #2 to ensure you get him though, and that price is too high. I would move up to 5 to grab Davis, but he would require a 3rd, a 7th, and possibly BJ IMO.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I wouldn't move up for Davis, but I would for Ferguson.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm in the not moving camp. We are not there yet with impact players. I think we are closer than we have ever been in AZ ( not counting the first half of 1988 and 1998) before. This is a better team than the 88 or the 98 teams all though there were some very good players on those squads. We need every pickj we have and we cannot trade next years high picks either.

So BPA at 10. I'll like whoever though I have personal likes. Davis, Young, Cutler. Not in any order. Just win baby win.

GBR
In Green we trust

Crimson Storm

#11, 81, 32
Reaction score
I would so No.

I think we're standing pretty good at the 10 spot. We're in a situation where we can take the best player that falls to us...whether that would be Vince Young/Jay Cutler, Vernon Davis, Winston Justice or a defensive stud like Huff, Ngata, Bunkley.

We need all our draft picks to address O-line, secondary (safety in particular)...and add depth.

Last edited:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Hell yeah, trade up for Young or Leinart. Get the QB of the future to go along with all of the young talent Green has stockpiled. Lose two 1st round picks and maybe a 3rd, draft a good lineman in the second round this year and fill in all of the other gaps with our remaining picks. All of the question marks we once had are gone and we have a young stud waiting in the wiings. Not to mention Edge mentoring JJ to possibly replace him in 2 to 3 years.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
No and no. As seesred said we need our picks....seriously let DG work. The only way I would move up is 1 spot to maybe grab Leinart or Huff and that is it. This is a deep draft and for Ferguson there is Justice, Hawk there is Sims, and so on and so forth. There will be someone of quality at 10 but I don't really like that spot and would be all for a trade down.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
No and no. As seesred said we need our picks....seriously let DG work. The only way I would move up is 1 spot to maybe grab Leinart or Huff and that is it. This is a deep draft and for Ferguson there is Justice, Hawk there is Sims, and so on and so forth. There will be someone of quality at 10 but I don't really like that spot and would be all for a trade down.

I agree 100%, Big. Lots of quality players avaliable at #10. We don't need to get cute to have a sucessful draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan