Wow! Is Sarver Thinking of Selling? Also, news on GM Search!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barkley is not happening and judging by his self-sabotaging statements to the media, I dont think he even wants it... either that or he is a doofus.

Lets chatter about the actual candidates.

Layden even being mentioned terrifies me. Fan of McDonough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic but the next step after finding a GM is finding a coach for the Suns. I read that Jeff Hornacek is one of the candidates to interview for the 76ers HC job. I'm not sure if Hornacek would be the right coach for the Suns but he is one of the classiest players I have met and his career reflects that. Just the idea that Jeff Hornacek could become a candidate to return to the Suns in a coaching capacity (purely conjecture on my part) evokes fond memories of better times.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227472/76ers-To-Interview-Mike-Malone-Hornacek

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic but the next step after finding a GM is finding a coach for the Suns. I read that Jeff Hornacek is one of the candidates to interview for the 76ers HC job. I'm not sure if Hornacek would be the right coach for the Suns but he is one of the classiest players I have met and his career reflects that. Just the idea that Jeff Hornacek could become a candidate to return to the Suns in a coaching capacity (purely conjecture on my part) evokes fond memories of better times.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227472/76ers-To-Interview-Mike-Malone-Hornacek

Oh man would I hate to see Hornacek as our next coach. I like the guy too much to wish that on him. Anyone but an experienced and well regarded Head Coach is likely to put an end to their future coaching dreams by taking the helm in Phoenix. We're a sinking ship but we've yet to hit bottom and I suspect we'll ruin a career or two on the way down.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man would I hate to see Hornacek as our next coach. I like the guy too much to wish that on him. Anyone but an experienced and well regarded Head Coach is likely to put an end to their future coaching dreams by taking the helm in Phoenix. We're a sinking ship but we've yet to hit bottom and I suspect we'll ruin a career or two on the way down.

Steve

I feel the Suns have hit bottom but that does not mean they are headed back up. If there is a coaching candidate that should garner broad fan support it would be Jeff Hornacek. I'm not arguing this might not be the best job for him to start but it would be nice to see an ex-Sun become the Suns HC. I believe the Suns should have tried hard years ago to get him to return to the Suns in some capacity.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I believe the Suns should have tried hard years ago to get him to return to the Suns in some capacity.
Yes, but then who would take his newspaper route? :)

Speaking of Cotton Fitzsimmons, he would have been a good choice to come back to the Suns for a third time to lead Sarver's disaster back to respectability.

I can picture Fitz telling Sarver, "Take your foam finger, go back to Tucson to count your money and let us basketball people handle the basketball operation."

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I know zero about his coaching qualifications, but you can probably guess from my avatar that I'm a big Hornacek fan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know zero about his coaching qualifications, but you can probably guess from my avatar that I'm a big Hornacek fan.

Congratulations about being a Jeff Hornacek fan. I am one also.

I remember being there at the local Suns draft location when fans chuckled about his selection as a second round pick. They thought the Suns FO was blowing smoke when they talked about his skills. They were not. I also watched Hornacek work on his shot (which was horrible) in local workouts even taping his fingers together to improve his shot.

I once had the privilege of meeting Jeff Hornacek. I just had to tell him I knew he would be an NBA player early on because of his excellent passing skills and how he could dribble the ball through the lane in traffic (seemingly in slow motion) without having the ball taken away. Chris Mullins had similar ball handling skills.

As a side note (not related), I'm sure you remember when Suns fans booed Majerle's selection. Obviously the Suns scouting skills have greatly diminished over the years.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but then who would take his newspaper route? :)

Speaking of Cotton Fitzsimmons, he would have been a good choice to come back to the Suns for a third time to lead Sarver's disaster back to respectability.

I can picture Fitz telling Sarver, "Take your foam finger, go back to Tucson to count your money and let us basketball people handle the basketball operation."

Kyle Macy? I don't think he's busy mowing McLeod's lawn anymore.

Steve

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
Barkley is not happening and judging by his self-sabotaging statements to the media, I dont think he even wants it... either that or he is a doofus.

Lets chatter about the actual candidates.

Layden even being mentioned terrifies me. Fan of McDonough.

+1 on this. Scott Layden is terrible. He was terrible in utah, and destroyed the knicks. He shouldn't be in any conversation about being a GM ever again. Having said that Sarver is an absolute idiot and it doesn't matter who is GM as long as he is owner. I used to be a rabid Suns fan but Sarvers handling of the team has destroyed that fire.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Luckily for us SD is a terrible sports town and doesnt have a ready arena. I cant imagine them building a tax payer funded arena in the near future either.

Vegas does seem like its eventually going to get a team though, and they're building an arena to boot. Heck they wouldn't even likely change the name "Vegas Suns"---- puke.
Since when? Considering how bad the Chargers and Padres are, they still have plenty of fans for those teams. Way more fans care about the Bolts and Padres in SD than people in Phoenix care about the Suns.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sarver's track record on hiring GM's is enough doom & gloom for me to feel good about any speculation on the next guy.

All the GM's under Sarver have been completely unqualified. I did like what Kerr tried to do here,but he left.

Errntknght

Reaction score

I agree with Folster, that is a great read. I think what impressed me the most about McDonough was his ability to maintain an open mind for months, right down to wire, on potential acquisitions. Like most everyone I have this urge to lock in on one, or a very small number, as soon as possible - then I can relax, job done. I also like what he said about using a consensus - that it was just a nice way to say 'groupthink'. I've always thought that consensus was a good way to arrive at an average result so if what you fear most is a bad result you go with it, giving up all hope of a great result. (Sounds like a good way to arrive at drafting Markeiff Morris or Kendall Mashshal, doesn't it?)

The Suns position might appeal to him since it's much more heavily weighted toward player evaluation than the other aspects of a typical GM job. Of course, it might not for exactly the same reason, if he relishes the whole job. I certainly hope the team tries to get him here.

Whew, I finally found someone to lock in on!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree with Folster, that is a great read. I think what impressed me the most about McDonough was his ability to maintain an open mind for months, right down to wire, on potential acquisitions. Like most everyone I have this urge to lock in on one, or a very small number, as soon as possible - then I can relax, job done. I also like what he said about using a consensus - that it was just a nice way to say 'groupthink'. I've always thought that consensus was a good way to arrive at an average result so if what you fear most is a bad result you go with it, giving up all hope of a great result. (Sounds like a good way to arrive at drafting Markeiff Morris or Kendall Mashshal, doesn't it?)

The Suns position might appeal to him since it's much more heavily weighted toward player evaluation than the other aspects of a typical GM job. Of course, it might not for exactly the same reason, if he relishes the whole job. I certainly hope the team tries to get him here.

Whew, I finally found someone to lock in on!

Good read. He should be at the top of our list. Thanks for the link.

You are welcome. And he is :)

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/p...gh-joins-weltman-atop-suns-gm-candidate-list/

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ryan McDonough ought to be the guy if those are the candidates.

Though I do find it odd that David Griffin hasn't gotten any consideration. He's a PHX guy, did a good job while here and has had some buzz around him for some GM jobs.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
According to Gambo's tweet, announcement should come today and it looks like it will be Ryan McDonough.

EDIT: Stein saying the Suns are waiting for Grant Hill.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake