WR Lee Evans traded to Ravens

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stephen Williams or Demarco Sampson seem to be in the mold of a #2.

6th receiver comes down to Isaiah, Stuckey, and Komar imo from sitting right here, right now.

I doubt we sign anyone now.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm glad mostly everyone is happy with our current WR corps but what happens if one of the main guys gets hurt? Heap already got a sprained thumb in the first pre-season game. I know nobody wants to say it but what if our #1 WR gets hurt for any signifiant amount of time? Is everyone on here still going to be OK with rolling out Early, Roberts & Williams/Stuckey as our top 3?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm glad mostly everyone is happy with our current WR corps but what happens if one of the main guys gets hurt? Heap already got a sprained thumb in the first pre-season game. I know nobody wants to say it but what if our #1 WR gets hurt for any signifiant amount of time? Is everyone on here still going to be OK with rolling out Early, Roberts & Williams/Stuckey as our top 3?

That thinking didn't prevent the trade of Q when few could imagine Breaston stepping in if Fitz went down.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Trade for a pass rusher, and trade for or sign a SS and I will be ecstatic.

I like our WRs. I am fine with what we have.

Having two TEs like Heap and Housler will allow the WRs all the more big plays.

This post is all about the truth.
:raccoon:

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I won't make a final judgment about missing out on Evans until I see how the FO spends the rest of their money. The offseason is far from over.

Still, Evans would have been a great addition, and the price wasn't too bad. The NFC West is very winnable right now. A guy like Evans could have been the missing piece for the offense, since I agree that we don't have a true #2 receiver on the roster.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Well, the 'truth" that Mitch is talking about is trading for OSI who has never played in a 3-4 and wants $10M a year in a new deal.
Good pass rushers are rare and demand larger salaries because of that. Every successful D has pass rushers, the cardinals, however, do not.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good pass rushers are dime-a-dozen and demand larger salaries because of that. Every successful D has pass rushers, the cardinals, however, do not.

You may want to edit your first sentence or add a (lol)

Who are the great pass rushers on the Jets or Patriots 'D", to offer two examples that don't fit your mold.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good pass rushers are dime-a-dozen and demand larger salaries because of that. Every successful D has pass rushers, the cardinals, however, do not.

I'll Paypal you 10 cents if you'll ship us twelve of those good pass rushers. Heck, I'll even kick in a small gratuity.

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, the 'truth" that Mitch is talking about is trading for OSI who has never played in a 3-4 and wants $10M a year in a new deal.

I'm all for trading for a pass rusher, Osi isn't at the top of my list but if they made that move I'd still be pretty excited.

Ok I shoulda said, 66% of this post is all about the truth! :)

If we got Osi I'd be like, huh? But then I'd be like, SWEET!

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
As you guys have been bringing out, it's not that Roth would be an amazing sack artist...it's that he is a solid vet who got a good number of hurries. He is also solid against the run and can cover quite well for a big man. He could have started in Haggans spot with Schofield on the other side allowing Haggans and Porter to do what they do best at this point in their careers...spot duty. Oh well...it's a moot point now anyway.

I'd still like to see the Cards go out and get someone...but who? Maybe after cut-downs someone decent will be available. Pass rush is so important and I just don't have much confidence in who the Cards are fielding. Hopefully preseason will show that this group is better than I think.

Alright, I'm done hijacking this thread, back to WR talk. :D GO:newcards:!!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
You may want to edit your first sentence or add a (lol)

Who are the great pass rushers on the Jets or Patriots 'D", to offer two examples that don't fit your mold.
i agree lol. Jets have calvin pace, who in their system, is pretty productive at rushing the passer. Also, they just drafted wilkerson who is 'planned' to be a great pass rusher. Patriots dont necessarily have a perennial pass rusher, but they have Wilfork who destroys everything on the inside, which creates space for the OLB's.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i agree lol. Jets have calvin pace, who in their system, is pretty productive at rushing the passer. Also, they just drafted wilkerson who is 'planned' to be a great pass rusher. Patriots dont necessarily have a perennial pass rusher, but they have Wilfork who destroys everything on the inside, which creates space for the OLB's.

the Pats defense was also their weak link last year, specifically because they couldn't get pressure on the QB.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
the Pats defense was also their weak link last year, specifically because they couldn't get pressure on the QB.
which is why they went out and got haynesworth(?) for next to nothing. Pats have a great systematic D, even with average players they can still be pretty productive. Im hoping Horton can bring the same scheme and make even our avg players excel. Problem is when we rush 3-4 guys, we dont get any pressure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should be worried more about a #2 WR but I'm not as yet. I feel the Cardinals added two more receivers at the TE position in Heap and Houser. I believe they should make the other receivers more effective. The secondary and an effective pass rush weigh more heavy on my mind. I do miss DRC's big play ability but I do not regret the trade.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe I should be worried more about a #2 WR but I'm not as yet. I feel the Cardinals added two more receivers at the TE position in Heap and Houser. I believe they should make the other receivers more effective. The secondary and an effective pass rush weigh more heavy on my mind. I do miss DRC's big play ability but I do not regret the trade.

I agree, if you look at teams that have been successful the past few years they aren't loaded with Pro bowl WR's on both sides. I honestly think Cardinal fans just got a little spoiled having Q and Fitz for so long so it feels like there is a big whole when there really isn't one.

Roberts/Williams/Doucet might not be considered a solid #2 at this point individually, but as a group it's still a talented group of WR's when combined with Fitz.

It would be nice to add another big threat at WR but I would MUCH rather see our efforts go towards another pass rusher. I dont see much left in FA that wows me but maybe we can find a diamond in the rough.

Just my opinion.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That thinking didn't prevent the trade of Q when few could imagine Breaston stepping in if Fitz went down.

Breaston was already a 1,000 yard receiver at that time and most figured he could take the place of Q. That is not close to the same with our current young WR's.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Breaston was already a 1,000 yard receiver at that time and most figured he could take the place of Q. That is not close to the same with our current young WR's.

Very true. I don't see how anyone could see it as the same situation. I wonder how many other teams have lost 1000 yard receivers in back to back seasons both of them under 30 at the time.

On the other hand I for one like the idea of going to a bona fide receiving TE as one of the 3 main receiving weapons.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

agreed. last year, the guy who was stepping in the number two role averaged almost 900 yards and 3 TDs his previous two seasons and this year, the guy stepping into the number 2 role has had 1 good game in his rookie year, while netting 300 yards.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I wasn't part of the most. Breaston was a solid no. 3 with a Hall of Fame QB spinning the ball. It's yet to be proven, but if our prospective no. 2 W/O catch 50 balls, they'll have efectively replaced Breaston, but nowhere near what Q could produce.

Blitz_2231

Reaction score
The are Ravens stock-piling aging vets for depth: Will it be brilliant, or costly as they play like old men?