WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
WR Ward turns down Steelers' offer
Pro Bowler would have been highest-paid player in team history
Thursday, July 28, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Although they have not yet signed Hines Ward to a contract extension, the Steelers at least are trying to fulfill a promise to make their Pro Bowl wide receiver a priority.

The Steelers made Ward an offer that would make him the highest-paid player in their history, a contract that may include their highest signing bonus, according to a source close to the negotiations.

So far, Ward and his agents have turned them down.

The source told the Post-Gazette the offer also would put Ward among a tier of receivers just below several of the highest paid in the league.

The deal would include a signing bonus higher than the $8.1 million quarterback Kordell Stewart received in 1999. Although quarterback Ben Roethlisberger reportedly received a $9 million signing bonus as part of his rookie contract, some analysts peg it closer to $7.8 million in what technically would be a true signing bonus. But even if it were $9 million, the bonus the Steelers have offered Ward is close to it. No other contract details, including length and total, were provided.

Ward and his agents have countered in negotiations that the four-time Pro Bowler should be paid relative to where he ranks among NFL receivers and not based on what the Steelers have paid their players in the past. A number of receivers the past several years have received signing bonuses of more than $10 million. His agents, Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes, have taken a stance that Ward should be paid among the best wide receivers in the game, although they have not asked for him to be the highest paid.

Ward, who has one year left at $1,668,750 on a contract he signed in the summer of 2001, made the past four Pro Bowls and shattered many of the Steelers receiving records during that time. Three times he surpassed the Steelers' previous record of 85 receptions in a season with a high of 112 in 2002. His 505 career receptions are second only to John Stallworth's 537 in club history.

Ward, who lives in Atlanta, is scheduled to make a promotional appearance today in Pittsburgh and also was to talk to some coaches about his situation. Parker has declined to predict whether Ward will report to training camp on time Sunday.
This could indirectly affect Quan's new deal. Ward's new deal is probably the best measuring stick for Quan.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Why would Ward's deal be the measuring stick for Quan. He's a veteran who has been an elite WR in this league for years.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
They offered Ward a deal in the 9 mill signing bonus range.

Sorry but thats a slap in the face, even for a starting point. The starting point for the steelers should have been in the double digit range.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
They offered Ward a deal in the 9 mill signing bonus range.

Sorry but thats a slap in the face, even for a starting point. The starting point for the steelers should have been in the double digit range.

That's a total slap in the face considering what Ward means to Pittsburg.

I wonder where all the people are who were telling Anquan what a class act Ward was for not holding out now that he is?

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Why would Ward's deal be the measuring stick for Quan. He's a veteran who has been an elite WR in this league for years.

Exactly. You have a clue.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I don't like this at all, Ward is the last guy in the league that I thought would hold out. I still think he's the best reciever in the game, but because of the organization he's in he's not going to get paid like a Moss or a Harrison. I just hope this doesn't turn out ugly.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
That's a total slap in the face considering what Ward means to Pittsburg.
It's not exactly a slap in the face; it's a starting point for negotiations, IMO--and a reasonable one. I'll bet he ends up getting (and accepting) a bonus of about $10.5M.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pariah said:
It's not exactly a slap in the face; it's a starting point for negotiations, IMO--and a reasonable one. I'll bet he ends up getting (and accepting) a bonus of about $10.5M.

Considering what he's done for that town and what he means to that franchise, $10.5 mil should have been the starting point for negotiations.

Ward deserves a $12M signing bonus.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering what he's done for that town and what he means to that franchise they "made Ward an offer that would make him the highest-paid player in their history...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pariah said:
...they "made Ward an offer that would make him the highest-paid player in their history..."

It's all about the signing bonus--what he'll make in Year 6 is totally meaningless. And the Steelers aren't exactly known for being loose with the pursestrings. :rolleyes:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Considering what he means to that town" they paid him accordingly--they offered him more than any other steeler in history--including the highest signing bonus ever.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pariah said:
"Considering what he means to that town" they paid him accordingly--they offered him more than any other steeler in history--including the highest signing bonus ever.

:rolleyes:

Do you really want to argue about this? A smaller signing bonus than lesser receivers had been given recently. I'm sure a smaller signing bonus than Andre Johnson got with Houston.

This isn't about history for Ward; it's about the future. A $9MIL SB for the kind of player that he is is a slap in the face. That's the long and the short of it.

What SB did Marvin Harrison just get? Start there.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to argue about it; do you? How can you say that getting the highest signing bonus in the history of the franchise is a "slap in the face?" I'm not saying he should have jumped at it, all I'm saying is that it's a very fair place to start negotiations.

Roll your eyes all you want, you smug little punk. You have a different idea of what a "slap in the face" is, I guess.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Pariah said:

And your not looking at the big picture.

Just becuase its the highest in team history doesnt mean it is a lot. They are the only team in the NFL who hasnt given a Double digit signing bonus yet, I believe.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Joe and K9 the Steelers have let so many guys walk that have asked for big money, I just hope it doesn't happen to Ward. Considering the team, he might not get the money he so desires. This may be a slap in the face to Pittsburgh, because of the character that Hines Ward portrays, he said he would let his agent handle it, Pittsburgh said it was the 1 priority of theirs. No player is bigger than the team, remember that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, but they have the money, and this guy has played in good faith for the last year. If the biggest contract in team history doesn't pay him what he's worth, then he shouldn't have to settle for it. Ward is a class act and one of the best in the league. He deserves his payday.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

Being that only the top 51 salaries count against the cap, it seems the Stillers have $.
There's Faneca and some other guy I've never heard of making over 3Mil this year.
No wonder Ward is bent.
To some degree, money DOES = respect.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Ward threatens to sit out season without contract extension
'I'm not asking to break the bank ... I just want compensated'
Friday, July 29, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hines Ward, the Steelers' four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, threw one of his famous downfield blocks on his own team yesterday when he proclaimed he will not report to training camp -- or show up at any point this season -- until he receives a contact extension.

Lake Fong, Post-Gazette
Hines Ward talks to reporters before an autograph session yesterday at the Waterfront complex in Homestead.
Click photo for larger image.

Related coverage
Bob Smizik: Steelers, Ward need each other
Hines Ward's 2004 Salary Base Salary 1,668,750
Signing Bonus 0
Other Bonus 3,200
Total Salary $1,671,950
Source: USA Today

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ward, who has one year left on a contract he signed in 2001, said he's prepared to sit out the entire season if there's no new contract.

"I just want my fair market value, that's all I can ask for," Ward said yesterday afternoon before an autograph appearance at the Sprint PCS Store at the Waterfront complex in Homestead. "I'm not asking to break the bank or anything. I just want compensated."

He then made comments to the media on hand that were directed to the Steelers and referred to president Art Rooney's 2004 promise to make him a priority in contract discussions this year.

"Last year, you told me to wait, which is understandable; I had two years left on my deal and I went about it. I reported to everything you wanted me to do; I've done everything you asked me to do.

"You said you want to make me first priority, now here it is a couple days from training camp and we're still negotiating. But I think everything will work out; there's nothing personal, it's a business."

Ward will remain in town at least for the next few days in case a contract agreement is reached. The four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, however, acknowledged there has been little progress and the two sides have barely talked over the past month.

"They haven't even talked to my agent but once, as of Monday," Ward said. "They made an initial offer, my agent countered it. And that was it, there was no more negotiating after that."

A Steelers spokesman said no one from the team would comment on what Ward said.

The Post-Gazette reported yesterday the Steelers' offer would make Ward the highest-paid player in their history. Ward said his main aim is to receive as much guaranteed money as he can because in the NFL, players can be released with years left on their contract and the club is not obligated to pay any of it.

The Steelers' offer includes more than $8 million in a signing bonus and might be closer to $9 million. Many receivers over the past five years have received signing bonuses of more than $10 million, but many washed out after signing those contracts. Most notable among the failures was Joey Galloway, who received a $12.5 million signing bonus from the Cowboys in 2000, even though he never made a Pro Bowl. Ward might have in mind the kind of deal that Muhsin Muhammad received this year from the Chicago Bears. Muhammad, 32, received a $12 million bonus.

Ward has one year at $1,668,750 remaining on his deal. If he holds out, the Steelers could play tough and demand he repay them $500,000, the one-year prorated portion of his signing bonus, and fine him $6,000 daily.

Ward said if there is no contract extension, "I won't be there" at training camp in Latrobe. He said he will stay out "as long as it takes."

During a protracted holdout, Ward would lose 1/17th of his salary for each week of the regular season he boycotts. After Oct. 18, he would not be permitted to return to the team this season and would lose the credited year (and not become a free agent) unless the Steelers petition the league for his reinstatement. No player can end his holdout over the final 30 days of the season, and he would lose that credited year.

"In the NFL, you only have a short amount of time to maximize the most money you can get," said Ward, 29. "This is the business part of it. Before, I just went out and played; now I'm getting older. Once you hit 30, they think you're too old to play or whatever. It's maximizing the most money you can get."

Ward said he's in the best shape of his life and, at 204 pounds, the lightest he has weighed in a long time.

He said he's eager to reach camp and catch passes from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and that he does not want to hold out.

"I don't want to see it come to that. I love playing football, I love putting on the black and gold, but what's fair is fair, and that's all I can really ask for."

Ward made the past four Pro Bowls, the most by any Steelers receiver, and broke team receiving records during that time. Three times, he surpassed the Steelers' previous record of 85 receptions in a season with a high of 112 in 2002. His 505 career receptions are second only to John Stallworth's 537 in club history.

"People say, abide by your contract, but, in football, nobody abides by their contract," Ward said. "If you're not producing, they cut you or they release you. But if you have been producing, which I have for the last four years, I feel like I want to get compensated for it."

Asked where he felt his contract deserved to be among the NFL's receivers, Ward said he wasn't sure.

"Whatever -- the most I can get, I guess. People always compare, 'Well, he doesn't deserve what Marvin Harrison gets,' but I'm not trying to be Marvin. I'm not in that type of offense. You put one of those guys in our type of offense, their numbers are going to drop tremendously to what they're accustomed to."

Ward said there's nothing personal, even if he boycotts training camp, and he wants to remain a Steeler.

"It's sad to see for it to come to this, but the NFL is part business as well as going out there and performing on the field."

Update on the situation.

On the numbers and Ward's comments it sounds like the Steelers are offering a pretty nice signing bonus along with a back-loaded deal a la TO - basicly making it a well-paid short term deal.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
andikrist said:
Being that only the top 51 salaries count against the cap, it seems the Stillers have $.
There's Faneca and some other guy I've never heard of making over 3Mil this year.
No wonder Ward is bent.
To some degree, money DOES = respect.

I had thought the Steelers were pretty cap-strapped, because they're paying millions to guys like travis Kirschke and Mike Logan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan