Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marsden Would Do X-Men 3 for Free
Source: The Advocate
May 11, 2005

The Advocate talked to James Marsden, who played Cyclops in the first two X-Men films, about the third installment:

Q: Will you play Cyclops in X-Men 3?
A: It's very complicated. I want nothing more than to be a part of X-Men 3, especially since they're probably going into the Dark Phoenix saga, which would include my character a lot, but the schedule might conflict. I hope it all works out. I told them I'd do it for free.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Are Rogue and Storm actually going to be able to fly. I know Rogue doesn't get that power until later.

I want to see Wolverine actually kick someone's As* too.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Are Rogue and Storm actually going to be able to fly. I know Rogue doesn't get that power until later.

I want to see Wolverine actually kick someone's As* too.
Storm's been able to "fly" in the first two movies, I think. She rides gusts of wind.

I don't care if Rogue flies or not. I don't like her character in the movies. Too weak. Too girly.

Wolverine kicked some pretty serious butt in the second movie. I'd like to see more of that, too.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelsey Grammer is Beast in X-Men 3
Source: Superhero Hype!
May 18, 2005

ComingSoon.net/SuperheroHype.com got a chance to talk to Marvel Studios President and CEO Avi Arad on Tuesday afternoon about X-Men 3 and he revealed new details about the anticipated third installment.

"It's about to go," Avi says about the film. We asked whether it would build on the first two films. "In my opinion, X3, from a story and script perspective, it's bigger than one and two. It's the concept behind the movie that's bigger than one and two. It's building on our world, building on the world of mutants. In movie one you got to know what a mutant is and had to deal with it visavis humanity and the brotherhood. The second one was actually sort of a continuation but we were able to have more fun with it."

Which brings us to the big news. "(X-Men 3) features Angel, Beast, Kitty Pryde and Juggernaut. Right there you have worth the price of admission. And there are more, those are just the ones we can talk about. Juggernaut you had it already on your site, that is [Vinnie] Jones. That was accurate. Angel is not done yet, we're looking at a few guys, but it's a big role, so... we are very close, a few more days. Angel is a great emotional story. It's a very big role in this movie and so is Kitty Pryde, where we have some high choices that are great but it's just not locked up yet." Lost star Maggie Grace is in talks for the role.

Then we got to Beast. "It was the best man for the job. The name is... Kelsey Grammer! If you would have seen his read. It is kinda weird when you think about it for a second, and the key was with the X-Men movies is get the best man for the job. He blew us out of the park. Yeah, yeah, and he's also my neighbor..." As we laughed, Arad reassured us that the "Frasier" star is the right man for the job. "When you look at it you see how again we are continuing with inspired choices."

So what can we expect Grammer's Beast to be like? "Super intelligent. A pacifist Ph.D as he should be. I cannot tell you what he does in the movie because it's an amazing... it's a very big role in this movie. The subject matter of this movie, we don't take Beast lightly. It was someone that we didn't take into one and two because we were busy with other characters and Beast needs to be a centerpiece... and so is Angel, they had to be centerpieces. Too much going on within the story, the origin."

We asked Avi whether Grammer will be wearing a suit like The Thing, played by Michael Chiklis, in Fantastic Four. "You will see Beast like you've never seen him before. It's going to be very true to the comic. Of course we're building a suit and hair, you name it. Without going into detail, he's a very central character here in the movie and very much within what Hank McCoy is, Dr. McCoy."

Layer Cake director Matthew Vaughn is taking over from the first two films' director Bryan Singer. "I'm glad that 'Layer Cake' came out to help people understand who this guy is," said Arad. We've known him for a long time, but once we saw Layer Cake... You know he produces movies and he does understand the role, the sets and writing. There's a lot of functions. Some producers are lucky enough to take the plunge, to say 'that's it, I'm going to go for it'.

Asked whether anyone from the first two movies is not coming back, Arad said that "they're all coming back." Is there anything we can expect for Dark Phoenix or Gambit? "Well, just saying that Famke is coming back, we'll leave it to people's imagination to figure it out. And no comment on Gambit."

Avi added that 20th Century Fox expects to start shooting at the end of July. "We've been in active pre-production, costuming and all these things for quite a while. It's not starting at ground zero."

Regarding X-Men 4, Arad said they'll have to wait and see. "You have to look at it. You say, 'Yeah I want to make X-Men 4', but let's see what we can make fresh and exciting that warrants making another one".

X-Men 3 is currently scheduled for a May 26, 2006 release.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I have mixed feelings about Grammar as McCoy...On one hand his voice is pretty great. On the other, I'm not sure he has the "moves." Even though most his acrobatics are certain to be done by stunt doubles or in post, I've always imagined Beast as ALWAYS being agile and athletic, even when mixing vials and looking in microscopes and such--I'm not sure Grammer will pull that off.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek:

Matthew Vaughn Exits X-Men 3
Source: Ain't-It-Cool-News
June 1, 2005

With just nine weeks to go until principal photography starts on X-Men 3, director Matthew Vaughn has exited the 20th Century Fox project for personal reasons.

London-based Vaughn had planned to travel between his home and the film's Vancouver locations, but as the shooting schedule evolved, he realized he would have to move to Los Angeles and Vancouver for at least a year. Not wishing to uproot his family for an extended period, Vaughn opted to depart the production.

"This is not a case of creative differences," Marvel Studios' Avi Arad told Ain't-It-Cool-News. "This is a personal decision by Matthew, and I can tell you that he is heartbroken. He loved this material, and he wanted to make this film." The site says Marvel and Fox are expected to make an announcement in the next few days regarding both the casting of Angel and the new director.

All the cast members of the first two films are coming back for the third installment. It was recently announced that Kelsey Grammer would play Beast and Vinnie Jones is taking on Juggernaut, with Lost star Maggie Grace in talks for the role of Kitty Pryde.

Having produced Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, Vaughn made his directorial debut with Layer Cake. "X3" would have been Vaughn's first big-budget studio project.

X-Men 3 is still scheduled for a May 26, 2006 release date.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X-Men 3 Director Down to Two Names
Source: Ain't-It-Cool-News
June 2, 2005

Ain't-It-Cool-News has learned that 20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios have narrowed the position for X-Men 3 director down to two names. Matthew Vaughn left the production earlier this week due to personal reasons.

The site says that the director's chair will either go to John Moore, who helmed both Behind Enemy Lines and Flight of the Phoenix for Fox, or to Brett Ratner, best known for the "Rush Hour" films and who has also directed such films as After the Sunset and Red Dragon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Brett Ratner will DESTROY the franchise. Vote NO for Ratner.

totally agree - are they trying to just Kamikaze the Franchise so they can get to a Wolverine spinoff? Marvel isn't ******** - I have great respect for Schuler-Donner - I don't think they'd make such a bland, catastrophic choice with Ratner.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:|

Brett Ratner to Direct X-Men 3
Source: Variety
June 6, 2005

20th Century Fox and Marvel Entertainment set Brett Ratner on Friday night to replace Matthew Vaughn as the director of X-Men 3, reports Variety. Shooting will start in August for a Memorial Day weekend 2006 opening date.

A comic book enthusiast, Ratner was among the helmers considered to direct the first X-Men. The job went to Bryan Singer instead. Ratner then spent a full year developing Superman Returns, the film that ultimately prompted Singer to drop out of directing "X3."

The trade adds that the "X3" budget is locked, and Fox and Marvel brass consider the script by Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg to be at least as strong as that of the first two installments. The original returning stars have been signed, and the cast is bolstered by Kelsey Grammer as Beast, Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut and Lost star Maggie Grace as Kitty Pryde (aka Shadowcat).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope you all enjoyed the X-Men franchise while it lasted - this one has Fantastic 4 written all over it. Ratner is the biggest hack A-list director in the biz - this movie will suck.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
hope you all enjoyed the X-Men franchise while it lasted - this one has Fantastic 4 written all over it. Ratner is the biggest hack A-list director in the biz - this movie will suck.

I don't know who this guys is, what other movies has he directed?

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Assface said:

The Rush Hour movies

DS

Ladies Man
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Assface said:

He thought of the idea for the movie Gigli and has written the scrip for the past 11 Ben Affleck movies. It was also his idea to cast Sophia Coppola in 'God Father III' and he also told George Lucas that something just wasn't right with the Greedo and Han Solo exchange.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The awful Woody Harrelson, Pierce Brosnan, Selma Hayek movie as well - After the Sunset?

Oh yeah - and could I forget the CLASSIC... MONEY TALKS!

My bet is Halle Barry as Storm is replaced by Chris Rock in a repeat performance as Ruby Rody from the Fifth Element.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

2nd biggest hack.

#1 is Joel Schumaker. :D

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yeah those Rush Hour movies really sucked...?:confused:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it that Maggie Grace (Shannon on 'Lost') will be Kitty Pride....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
2nd biggest hack.

#1 is Joel Schumaker. :D

Hey - at least Schumaker has LOST BOYS (GREAT movie) and FALLING DOWN (decent movie) on his resume and who can forget his seminal work... D.C. CAB!!!!!!

Every single thing Ratner's ever done has been complete made for TV-crap.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan