You're the Diamondbacks GM, what moves do you make this offseason?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
For instance, Mike Piazza hit for power much better than most every catcher, should teams that had him said "geez, Catchers aren't supposed to hit for power, we need to move him to first"?
Actually, Piazza should have been moved to 1B because his marginal throwing arm behind the plate deteriorated.

But from everything we've read over the years, he wanted to go into the record books as a Catcher. And every team he was with accommodated him.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Find a legitimate leadoff hitter with good steal base skills. (Taveras?)

You want a guy who put up a line of .251/.308/.296 (Yes that is SLG less than OBP) in our CF in place of Chris Young?

BC867 said:
Actually, Piazza should have been moved to 1B because his marginal throwing arm behind the plate deteriorated.

However, most reports from those teams are that Piazza handled the pitching staff very well in his prime. The lack of CS was far outweighed by having a C leading the league in OPS.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
You want a guy who put up a line of .251/.308/.296 (Yes that is SLG less than OBP) in our CF in place of Chris Young?

Do you think a .230 AVG in batting 1st is good leadoff player?

Of course I hope Chris Young can improve like Soriano in the next year.

But we need to know that the team's steal base is wretched, how to improve it?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The lack of CS was far outweighed by having a C leading the league in OPS.
If he had been moved to 1B, they would have had both the league leader in OPS and a Catcher with a more acceptable CS, wouldn't they?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I am glad none of you are making these decisions for real geesh. CY is a good young talent have to have alittle patience with these guys. People are/were expecting way to much out of this young team because last season, which was a mistake. Other teams in our division made bigger moves that put them over the top. Manny should be NL MVP imho. Our aquisitions of Dunn and Rausch didn't work out as well as LA's its too bad. CY, Cojack, Webb, Harren, Upton, Drew, Schneider, Sherzer is a great young core we just need to tinker need a BIG BAT and shore up that damn bullpen which cost us the division IMHO!

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even though I have ragged on CY I would give him one more year to see if he can improve his batting.

AS to what to do with this team I would think the following would be good.

Move Eric Byrnes
Figure out what went wrong with the bullpen. These guys were great last year but really fell off this year. Just a one year problem or do we have to get rid of Cruz, Pena, Lyon, Qualls[sp].
Find a decent closer.
resign Hudson
Get a more stable line up. I beleive that most of our offensive problems stem from the players not knowing where they were batting thus causing them to question how they were to bat!!!
Find a power hitter that can hit .280, .350OBP, 100+rbi and hit 30-40homers.
I don't care what position he plays. I'm hoping that Upton can become the
man.

REDUCE ALL THE STRIKEOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AZ240Z

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think a .230 AVG in batting 1st is good leadoff player?

Of course I hope Chris Young can improve like Soriano in the next year.

But we need to know that the team's steal base is wretched, how to improve it?

When you can form coherent statements, then we'll address your incoherent arguments.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he had been moved to 1B, they would have had both the league leader in OPS and a Catcher with a more acceptable CS, wouldn't they?

A) Mike Piazza sucked at 1B defensively. As someone who's railed against sucky 1B defense, this should factor in your opinion.

B) I know you know that the average 1B hits better than the average C by a mile.

I really can't imagine you'd make such an incomplete argument that wasn't tongue in cheek.

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo said today he thinks Doug Davis will be traded and Parker will be given a shot at the rotation this spring.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As someone who's railed against sucky 1B defense, this should factor in your opinion.
Yes, I've said that a good fielding 1B can make an infield.

But I also factored in that, when Piazza could no longer throw out baserunners, his bat warranted making a better place for him in the lineup.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've said that a good fielding 1B can make an infield.

But I also factored in that, when Piazza could no longer throw out baserunners, his bat warranted making a better place for him in the lineup.

Which logically means DH in the AL...

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
Gambo said today he thinks Doug Davis will be traded and Parker will be given a shot at the rotation this spring.

Gambo is an idiot...He's saying they're going to give a kid who pitched in low A ball a shot at the rotation next year. Get a clue Gambo. They might invite him to spring training just for the experience, but he'll have NO shot at making the team

Jared Parker has a ton of talent and I expect him to be with the Dbacks at some point down the road but he's 19 years old (he'll turn 20 in November)and one year removed from high school. He'll be at high A Visalia next year. They're not going to rush this kid.

JUp10 CY24

Reaction score
1. Sign Casey Blake and Move Reynolds to second
2. Do something about the bullpen
3. Extend Webb and Drew
4. Keep CY and give him a consistent spot in the order
5. Let J Up hit in the 1-5 spots in the order as he is a stud and performs better at the top of the order
6. Tell CoJack that he either plays 1b and doesnt complain or we trade him

By the way Josh Byrnes has said that our core is Webb,Haren,Drew,CY and J Up. That is who this team will be built around. Im assuming that Scherzer and Parker will eventually be added to that list.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My updated to do list:

1. Find a way to trade Brynes for Castillo and let him bat leadoff
2. Extend Webb & Drew
3. Re-sign RJ
4. Trade for Hank Blalock

Line-up
2B - Castillo
SS - Drew
CF - Young
1B - Blalock
LF - Jackson
RF - Upton
3B - Reynolds
C - Snyder

Rotation
Webb
Haren
Scherzer
Johnson
Davis/Petit

JUp10 CY24

Reaction score
Line-up
2B - Castillo
SS - Drew
CF - Young
1B - Blalock
LF - Jackson
RF - Upton
3B - Reynolds
C - Snyder

I like those moves but I would modify the line up slightly. Id switch Young and Upton. Then move Upton to the 2 hole and Drew down to the 3 hole. Then our line up would be:

1. Castillo 2B
  2. J Up RF
  3. Drew SS
  4. Blalock 1B
  5. CoJack LF
  6. CY Cf
  7. Reynolds 3B
  8. Snyder C
Also the Rangers would want young pitching for Blalock so Petit would most liekly be traded in that deal.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Line-up
2B - Castillo
SS - Drew
CF - Young
1B - Blalock
LF - Jackson
RF - Upton
3B - Reynolds
C - Snyder

that is the worst lineup possible.. Young in the 3 hole? What with his 20 HR and .245 average and sub .300 OBP? doesnt make sense.

Would be
Castillo
Drew
Upton-big year next year, his bro is killing it in ALCS
Blalock
Reynolds
Jackson
Snyder
Young

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are too many strikeouts in the lineup.... They need to decide who the future of this franchise is, Upton, Reynolds or Young. You can't have that big of a whole in the lineup and win. If Upton plays the entire season you have potentially 3 out of the top 5 strikeout guys in the league

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05