Draft - one week out - what do the Cardinals do with #4?

What do the Cards do with #4

• Keep - select other (specify in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nah, we already have high picks and a lot of picks. So we have a chance at quality (pre draft that is defined as possessing high enough picks to make your choice of the talent available - the more you trade down the more you limit the opportunity for quality) and quantity (6 picks in top 3 rounds). I think trading all over the place this year is more trying to be the smartest guy in the room than it is trying to improve.

I think we could see a record number of trades by a team this year. I base this on an interview Bidwill did on one of the local shows before last year's draft. He insinuated that Monty's style will be to identify all his favorite guys and then move around the draft to get them.

Bidwill said we wouldn't be seeing that in effect until 2024, after Monty was in the system a year. Unless he was lying, and we know Mikey never lies, I think we could see a crazy amount of movement this year.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I want MHJ if he's there unless there's a trade to good to pass up, like to the Vikings for 11, 23, Jefferson and later and/or future picks.
Jefferson is the wild card in all of this for me. You find a way to land him, and I'm pretty much giving Monti and company carte blanche from there on out.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thread title presented the question of ‘what to do at pick 4?’ My suggestion was to either go with MHJ or a QB if the staff evaluates that QB as a better match for the Cards. My response fits within the thread title—that’s what I would like to do. As someone who labels himself as ‘Captain of Team Murray’ I can see why that suggestion would upset you. Get over it and beam yourself down, Captain. It is not about you. It is about getting the right player at pick #4. My choice just happens to be a new QB with that high pick. I didn’t hijack the thread—I answered the question.

How did you possibly have a conversation last off-season about what to do with pick #4 this draft period? How did you know we would be at pick four? I have not seen any other comment about taking a QB at #4---pretty rude of you to label my suggestion as adding nothing new/original. I did see a proposal off this forum that the Cards trade KM to the Vikes and use pick #4 on JJ McCarthy---something similar to my suggestion.

QB is the single most single player in all of sports. It is bound to happen that conversations will cross over. Conversations veer off on every single thread topic as people free-associate and throw in various opinions. I looked over the ‘rules’ and didn’t see any formalized requirement that KM was off-limits on any thread that is not specifically about him. If you look over the forum rules, I think you will see that you are the one in violation with your scolding and condescending tone and attempt to censor me because my opinion is not to your liking. I am not on Team Murray while you have assigned yourself the title of Captain of Team Murray. If there is an unwritten requirement, it supports one of my comments that this forum is a closed system for the ‘old-timer poster click.’ If I get banned for this response, it will only go to reinforce that assertion.

As to being ‘rude’ I wonder what KM thinks of your avatar photo with his head pasted over some animal—is that a doe or a greyhound in that photo? Is that your headshot pasted over the person posed with the KM-animal hybrid? That photo is not just rude, it is bizarre. How did that avatar get past the monitors---a beheaded KM pasted onto the body of an animal? What are you getting at with that photo???

Brilliant!

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score
This team has benefitted a great deal more from a certain HOF WR than it has with any of the players it has drafted over the years in the mid to late first round. I think adding additional first round pics in the 20's to get more dart throws or hoping we can maybe trade back up to get a good WR and adding another pick somewhere by passing on MHJ at 4 is crazy. I really hope this front office is not that stupid.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The new coach and new GM do not have the option of showing KM the door so they might as well pronounce that they ‘like him.’ They have already got rid of KM’s moves as GM (Moore, Hollywood, Hopkins) while other players left via retirement or requested trade (Fitz, Green, Errz).

KM is very lucky that Sean Payton did not take the Card’s job—it would be KM looking for a new team instead of Russell Wilson, dead cap money be damned. As soon as it is economically feasible to move on from KM, best believe the Cards will do it. The new FO will want their QB under center and using play-action instead of dancing around from the shotgun. Their careers depend upon their choice of the most important position. The occasional scampers and playground splash plays KM offers are not a sustainable playbook to march to the playoffs and beyond. For KM’s survival, the designed runs have to be toned down. Too risky to send an undersized QB on runs given he went down already with a non-contact knee.

KM is currently rated as a ‘middle-of-the-pack’ starting QB. A lot of QBs have already surpassed what KM offers. There are a dozen+ QBs who are already better than KM and several others with a more promising future. One rating of all the 66 QB who started a game in 2023 had KM at #23. 14 teams make the playoffs—how far will the Cards go with a QB who is not even in the top 14?

KM had his ‘fifteen minutes of fame’ under KK and is destined to be a backup (at best) once this huge contract runs its course. KM is a second-tier QB and the Cards will be lucky to approach .500—which is on track for a QB who has a career mark under .500.

I realize this forum is pretty much a closed system with a dozen or so old-timers controlling the opinions. Personal affection from the fan base for KM is not going to change what KM can do on the field. The flaws in his game are baked-in and hard-wired going forward. His flaws are also in the game plan for all the D-coordinators and will keep the Cards from the playoffs next year—and beyond. Maybe KM will get to .500 for his career and pass for 4,000 yards in a season? Don't bet on it.
Gimme, your Kyler takes are wayyy too extra. Even for the Kyler haters on this board. This is the kind of hatred reserved for Hags, Whiners and Lambs message boards. Sheeez.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He insinuated that Monty's style will be to identify all his favorite guys and then move around the draft to get them.

OOOOFFFF. This is a great way to get yourself fired.

I didn't have a lot of truck with the Athletic "always trade down" article, but feeling like you have special insight into the draft value of players is a fantastic way to stack a bunch of Ls.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
OOOOFFFF. This is a great way to get yourself fired.

I didn't have a lot of truck with the Athletic "always trade down" article, but feeling like you have special insight into the draft value of players is a fantastic way to stack a bunch of Ls.
I don't know if I agree.

I think you figure out who you like best per round and you do indeed have "your guys".

NFL teams aren't like fans; they have actually met the players and have a better understanding of scheme fit. It's one of the reasons that I disagree with taking Beebe in round two or three, he doesn't look like a scheme for based on what we saw or the Cardinals offense last year. I could be off base, though, because really only the coaching staff and Monti (we hope) have this kind of understanding.

I'd wager that the higher the pick, the smaller the list of players and by the time you get to round seven, there is probably a fairly wide debate on who they should draft.

So at pick #4, I think the Cardinals might have 2-3 players they are interested in. Pick #27, its probably 4 or 5.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree.

I think you figure out who you like best per round and you do indeed have "your guys".

NFL teams aren't like fans; they have actually met the players and have a better understanding of scheme fit. It's one of the reasons that I disagree with taking Beebe in round two or three, he doesn't look like a scheme for based on what we saw or the Cardinals offense last year. I could be off base, though, because really only the coaching staff and Monti (we hope) have this kind of understanding.

I'd wager that the higher the pick, the smaller the list of players and by the time you get to round seven, there is probably a fairly wide debate on who they should draft.

So at pick #4, I think the Cardinals might have 2-3 players they are interested in. Pick #27, its probably 4 or 5.
I mean, that's literally the opposite of what @CFLredzoned summarized. But go ahead and believe what you want to believe, I guess.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anybody but JJ, and I'd agree. 18 is the best receiver in the game right now. Figuring out how to pay/keep him is the rich folks' problem.
Yeah, I'll take the guy who is already a top WR over the guy that might or could be at some point. Figuring out how to pay him shouldn't be a problem...we have very few players making top money.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
pretty sure at this time last year -- nobody -- this board, local media, etc -- were putting an OT to the Cards

i seem to recall some early Skoronski momentum, but that petered out by Feb

just feel like what we and the media think and what Monti thinks might be two really different things.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
pretty sure at this time last year -- nobody -- this board, local media, etc -- were putting an OT to the Cards

i seem to recall some early Skoronski momentum, but that petered out by Feb

just feel like what we and the media think and what Monti thinks might be two really different things.
Because there wasn't an OT prospect spec'd to the top 10. PJJ wouldn't be a top 10 prospect in this draft -- it'd be an interesting exercise to consider where he'd rank int his class. Lance Zierlein and NFL.com gave him a 6.39 grade.

That would place him eighth in this year's draft class, according to the same sources.

Oof.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Because there wasn't an OT prospect spec'd to the top 10. PJJ wouldn't be a top 10 prospect in this draft -- it'd be an interesting exercise to consider where he'd rank int his class. Lance Zierlein and NFL.com gave him a 6.39 grade.

That would place him eighth in this year's draft class, according to the same sources.

Oof.
You pick and choose when to cite people.

The other day you were criticizing Zierlein's grades, not you are quoting them.

Hilarious.

Me? I think the grades are rather dumb mostly because comparing across drafts isn't an easy thing to do. Where would Paris, with an additional year of experience go in this draft? His ranking would almost certainly be higher.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You pick and choose when to cite people.

The other day you were criticizing Zierlein's grades, not you are quoting them.

Hilarious.

Me? I think the grades are rather dumb mostly because comparing across drafts isn't an easy thing to do. Where would Paris, with an additional year of experience go in this draft? His ranking would almost certainly be higher.
I used it because it was easy to find. You're mad because you don't like the result. You're attacking the poster because you don't feel like doing the homework.

Obviously Paris would be a different prospect with another year in college; he's a more valuable prospect compared to Joe Alt right now because he's played int he NFL for a year. But if you can find a source that shows Paris in 2023 being a significantly higher value than these 2024 prospects, go after it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like ruling on Falcons and Eagles tampering won't come down before the draft:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison