Issue with firing Wilks

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Most of these morons writing crap like this haven’t see a single ******* game of Big Red this year I promise!!!

So let me get this straight, Michael & Keim are racist, but yet they hired an African American to be their HC & most of the staff was as well. Lol Gimmie a break, enough with this BS.

Wilks wasn’t fired because he was 3-13, he was fired because of how they got to 3-13!!! Dominated in most every game, zero adjustments & zero improvement throughout the year! Nuff said
100%

Reaction score
I didn't even need to read the article to see where it was going. Good to know race was brought into it, Jesus, it's 2019.

This is the 2nd time I've heard this today. Sadly racism still exists in this country. It shouldn't exist anywhere. I don't agree with the article btw.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Why Wilks only got a year:

week one: Wash 42 carries for 182 yards

Wilks postgame: "we need guys in the right gaps, and to tackle. we will get this cleaned up"

week 17: Sea 34 carries for 182 yards

Cards finish 32nd in rush defense, spend the season no higher than 30th

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree with the Yahoo article 100%. Wilks wasn't fired because he didn't win with the roster. He got fired because he doesn't know how to coach a team. He was unprepared on game day. He made little to no adjustments and has a lack of an understanding of basic situational football. This is not something a head coach grows into and it's unfair to think that the team needs to accept it any longer just because they screwed up the initial hire. Anyone who watched the Cardinals this year understands this and I'm pretty sure this guy didn't watch the Cardinals, nor anyone else who is actually questioning the move.

This. Perfectly stated.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Agree or disagree with the gist of this article?

Makes for good clickbait. Those who insinuate that he was fired because he’s black are dumb. Arizona is one of the most progressive teams in the NFL. Two black coaches in the last 12 years, 1st female coach, and others.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is zero doubt minority coaches have NOT gotten the same fair shake across the NFL. That’s a fact.

In this case the coaching staff was abysmal and I don’t care what color the coach was they should have been fired. If the circumstances were different I could at least buy the argument.

In this case it’s a stupid assumption. This staff had to go.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Makes for good clickbait. Those who insinuate that he was fired because he’s black are dumb. Arizona is one of the most progressive teams in the NFL. Two black coaches in the last 12 years, 1st female coach, and others.

WOW!

If this author who wrote this is going to go there. Then he is an idiot and doing more damage to his "civil rights movement" then good.

To say one of the worst coaches in NFL history, was fired because he was black is just plain stupid.

Yes, there are other coaches, who in their first year, had worse records and were not fired.

But, NONE, where blown out as many times as the Cardinals this year, or produced the ineptitude we all say.

I challenge Terez Paylor to actually sit down and watch every Cardinals game from 2018 from beginning to end, and then tell us how this is a racial thing.

Sorry, Paylor, nice try but you picked the wrong guy to be the example for whatever point you are trying to make. This firing was not about race, it was about being historically bad at your job. Nothing more or less.

That goes for all these Keim/Bidwill theories as well. Sorry, NFL talent is NFL talent. Even the worst can be competitive. Even the Browns before their comeuppance looked better than this.

Horrible. If Wilks wasn't fired, I would question the sanity of the Cardinals more than I do now.

Why Keim is not gone is a mystery as well, but it is not because he is white......see no further than Rod "The snail" Graves that was the GM of this team FOREVER!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
WOW!

If this author who wrote this is going to go there. Then he is an idiot and doing more damage to his "civil rights movement" then good.

To say one of the worst coaches in NFL history, was fired because he was black is just plain stupid.

Yes, there are other coaches, who in their first year, had worse records and were not fired.

But, NONE, where blown out as many times as the Cardinals this year, or produced the ineptitude we all say.

I challenge Terez Paylor to actually sit down and watch every Cardinals game from 2018 from beginning to end, and then tell us how this is a racial thing.

Sorry, Paylor, nice try but you picked the wrong guy to be the example for whatever point you are trying to make. This firing was not about race, it was about being historically bad at your job. Nothing more or less.

That goes for all these Keim/Bidwill theories as well. Sorry, NFL talent is NFL talent. Even the worst can be competitive. Even the Browns before their comeuppance looked better than this.

Horrible. If Wilks wasn't fired, I would question the sanity of the Cardinals more than I do now.

Why Keim is not gone is a mystery as well, but it is not because he is white......see no further than Rod "The snail" Graves that was the GM of this team FOREVER!
Damn skippy

The Cards are so racist that’s why they hired Wilks to begin with lol

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Damn skippy

The Cards are so racist that’s why they hired Wilks to begin with lol

Also weren’t they they first team in NFL history to have a black HC and black GM at the same time? Green and Graves?

Also had 2 black coordinators at the same time under Arians. (Bowles & Goodwin)...this franchise has a lot of problems but racism isn’t one of them.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Most of these morons writing crap like this haven’t see a single ******* game of Big Red this year I promise!!!

So let me get this straight, Michael & Keim are racist, but yet they hired an African American to be their HC & most of the staff was as well. Lol Gimmie a break, enough with this BS.

Wilks wasn’t fired because he was 3-13, he was fired because of how they got to 3-13!!! Dominated in most every game, zero adjustments & zero improvement throughout the year! Nuff said
This is true and I agree that he was not hired because he's black or that race had anything to do with it.

However, it does make you wonder why Keim was not fired after he was the one responsible for this joke of an NFL roster which would lose to most of the top college teams in the nation regardless of who coached it.

***For the record, Wilks did deserve to get fired for the awful job he did coaching even with the very little talent on the roster.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Man I just read that and I won't ever get that time back.

That is the single worst article I've ever read on the Cardinals. It makes Weinfuss look high brow.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think media outside of those that cover the Cards regularly don’t realize this team was historically bad and had more talent than their stats and record indicate.

Yes, HISTORICALLY bad, i've seen so many pieces on how it was so unjust to fire Wilks after one season (part of that no doubt because he was a minority coach) but the sad realization is that this team looked historically bad in so many games this year firing Wilks was a smart football decision by the FO.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
This is true and I agree that he was not hired because he's black or that race had anything to do with it.

However, it does make you wonder why Keim was not fired after he was the one responsible for this joke of an NFL roster which would lose to most of the top college teams in the nation regardless of who coached it.

***For the record, Keim(Wilks?) did deserve to get fired for the awful job he did coaching even with the very little talent on the roster.

All this is 100% correct IMO

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is zero doubt minority coaches have NOT gotten the same fair shake across the NFL. That’s a fact.
Marvin Lewis was given 16 seasons in Cincinnati. Name me another coach over the last 25 years, or forever for that matter, black, white, or chartreuse, who was given 16 years with marginal success and zero playoff success. Just one will do. Wilks was not fired because he was black. He was fired because he was in over his head. Hell, Hue Jackson won 1 game his first year and kept his job then just when you didn't think he could do any worse, he won zero games his 2nd year and still kept his job. I'm getting so tired of this anything even remotely negative being said or happening to a person of color is all due to their race.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Ask Rod Graves.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis was given 16 seasons in Cincinnati. Name me another coach over the last 25 years, or forever for that matter, black, white, or chartreuse, who was given 16 years with marginal success and zero playoff success. Just one will do. Wilks was not fired because he was black. He was fired because he was in over his head. Hell, Hue Jackson won 1 game his first year and kept his job then just when you didn't think he could do any worse, he won zero games his 2nd year and still kept his job. I'm getting so tired of this anything even remotely negative being said or happening to a person of color is all due to their race.

Why did you cut out the rest of my post and focus in on this one part?

It would be ridiculous to suggest that because of Cincinnati/Marvin Lewis or Hugh Jackson the league doesn’t have a coaching/front office diversity problem. NOBODY said every team in the league has a problem. Some teams are doing it the right way.

We agree It doesn’t apply here but it sounds like you are attempting to conflate and deflect a larger league problem by cherry picking my post!?!?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why did you cut out the rest of my post and focus in on this one part?

It would be ridiculous to suggest that because of Cincinnati/Marvin Lewis or Hugh Jackson the league doesn’t have a coaching/front office diversity problem. NOBODY said every team in the league has a problem. Some teams are doing it the right way.

We agree It doesn’t apply here but it sounds like you are attempting to conflate and deflect a larger league problem by cherry picking my post!?!?
I only quoted that one section because this is what the media is going with. Just a point of reference and not a direct reflection on you.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only quoted that one section because this is what the media is going with. Just a point of reference and not a direct reflection on you.

Ah OK. On one hand I think it's a ridiculous assertion by the media. On the other hand, it's not the media that created the environment that the NFL and other pro-sports exist in today. That environment created the situation. The media is doing what they always do and runs with it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ah OK. On one hand I think it's a ridiculous assertion by the media. On the other hand, it's not the media that created the environment that the NFL and other pro-sports exist in today. That environment created the situation. The media is doing what they always do and runs with it.

Or in other words exploit the situation for ratings and mouse clicks.