M. Knight Shyamalan’s “Trap”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dig that idea. My fear watching the trailer was going to be his daughter goes missing and they play Hartnett trying to find her… and twist end is he’s the guy they’re actually looking for.

But this trailer makes it seem like he’s just the guy they’re looking for. Maybe that’s the misdirect.

Either way, good premise and if nothing else, M. Night keeps coming up with original to original-ish movies and I give him all the credit in the world for doing so during this period of IP driven entertainment.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so in this one the serial killer is the good guy because he takes his kid to a concert?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
huh? It looks like a movie all about the "bad guy", telling a story from the serial killer's perspective, which is a new twist. doesn't mean he's the "good guy".
I just kinda got the feeling we are supposed to root for him to escape so his daughter never has to find out her great dad is a psycho

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
huh? It looks like a movie all about the "bad guy", telling a story from the serial killer's perspective, which is a new twist. doesn't mean he's the "good guy".
Kind of reminds me of the movie "The Voices" with Ryan Reynolds. I really liked that movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There has to be some massive curveball at the end of this. Like the little girl is going to be the slasher. Actually I’ll bet you $1 that’s it.
LOL I wouldn't put it past him.

The twist was already revealed in the trailer. Great marketing tactic!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I wouldn't put it past him.

The twist was already revealed in the trailer. Great marketing tactic!
Making a lot of assumptions here. Him being the bad guy could easily be the hook and there’s another twist… or it’s just the premise of the movie.

I mean, the title of the entire movie is Trap. Doesn’t seem to be hiding something at the end as far as him being the focal point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Making a lot of assumptions here. Him being the bad guy could easily be the hook and there’s another twist… or it’s just the premise of the movie.

I mean, the title of the entire movie is Trap. Doesn’t seem to be hiding something at the end as far as him being the focal point.
You're giving Night the benefit of the doubt. More power to you. I hope it's more than what was shown in the trailer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're giving Night the benefit of the doubt. More power to you. I hope it's more than what was shown in the trailer.
If it’s a story told from the killer’s perspective, I think that’s pretty unique so I’m in to it.

As for your earlier question about where he keeps getting financing… I think he does a lot of self-financing… or at least he did with the Visit (which I loved) and Split (which I liked but had an amazing twist/surprise ending to recontexualize the world). Those were microbudget films he financed at 5-10 million, which then made really big money back (Visit made 98 mill worldwide/Split made 278 mill worldwide). And Glass was a pretty big success budgeted at something only like 30-40 million, making 250 mill worldwide. Old was also something like a 20 million budget that made 90 worldwide still somewhat early in pandemic times.

Knock At The Cabin was his first misfire at the box office in almost a decade, which is funny to me because I thought that was the most interesting of the recent bunch with a killer performance from Dave Bautista.

Overall though, I’m happy to see he keeps getting movies made. They might not be great, but he’s still one of the only guys making original feature films at this point and while my mileage may vary on them, conceptually he keeps doing different enough stuff to hold my attention compared to so many remakes and sequels.

But from a purely financial standpoint, by keeping his budgets low and getting great ROI, he’s been a smashing success after the incredible face-plant fall from grace following Lady In The Water, The Happening and After Earth. Those three movies have ZERO positive qualities, of any sort, be it from an imagination or box office standpoint.

Last edited: