Oh What a Night

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
All you had to do was listen to the various commentators evaluating each pick. Virtually every Cardinal choice had an evaluator stating this guy was one of my top picks with one finally saying the Cards are “crushing” it. If you’re reading some expert who doesn’t give this draft an “A” so far, just stop reading. BTW while we didn’t always agree at the point the Cards selected them I had, starting from the top, Harrison, Robinson, Benson, Reiman and Jones on my list. I’ll take 5 out of 7 every year.

The main things these guys mostly have in common is they have great athleticism, especially speed. Focusing on Day 2, these new Cards figure to be in AZ for a long time. One of the guys I didn’t know was Adams. It’s easy to overlook second level linemen unless you’re looking specifically at them. I ask around and the consensus is he’ll compete at LG, not RT. The other guy I didn’t have on my list was Melton. He blew up at the Combine. I’m not typically crazy about press corners, but he showed the athleticism to be much more. I don’t see the Cards using him to press much, so it figures year one will involve some conversion struggles. I think he’ll make the transition yet still be able to press if the situation calls for it. I think he’s better than McKinstry long term. Melton’s much faster. Also his game is totally different from Dejean, who is more a captain of the secondary. I think Dejean will have a great career, but Melton is a better pure CB. He’s the better fit. This guy is also a decent ballhawk, which the Cards desperately need. I’m sure Ossenfort was confident he could get this guy if he moved down by trading.

I had Benson as my top guy at 66 and so did the Cards. The Cards needed a breakaway running threat and get that with this guy. Benson, though, is much more. He has surprising power and consistently breaks arm tackles. He’s a solid receiver and figures to be the third down back. His secondary acceleration is stunning. Importantly he does a decent job of picking up rushers to protect his QB. This guy literally does it all. I had him as the top all-around RB in the draft. He immediately makes this offense far more dangerous, especially on third down.

Ossenfort is my kind of guy. He goes BPA at key areas of need. He shows patience and self-confidence that he sees more than other evaluators see, so he can move down and grab picks. However, when he wants someone badly, he’s not afraid to take them early. I had Tip Reiman in my 138 pick group. This guy is a hidden gem. Think of him as a more athletic version of Maxx Williams. He was widely regarded as the best blocking TE in college. Add in the fact he has decent hands and is a load to bring down once he gets the ball. The Illini simply didn’t use the TE in their offense. He a perfect compliment to McBride. He should start immediately when they use 2 TEs. He doesn’t have a huge catch radius, so Murray will have to be precise in his throws to get the most out of him. If the defense ignores Reiman, he’ll burn them. You’ll enjoy watching him make big time blocks on defenders.

Another guy I had in my 138 group was Elijah Jones. The Cards like to play zone in many passing situations, so he’s a fit. One of my big issues with zone is defenders often don’t react quickly enough to close down their zone. The best word to describe his style is sudden. His reaction burst time is outstanding. He had 5 ints last season, so you know he has ball skills. I know many on the board were worried as the Cards passed on some decent CBs, but I think they did fine. It will probably take half the season but when the Cards figure how to mesh their new guys with Garrett Williams, I think they will have a solid unit, far more capable of taking the ball away from their opponents than last season’s group. They need polish and will have to learn their roles and to trust each other, but Ossenfort did a solid job of building this unit.

All this and the Cards have 5 picks left to find some role players. I think Ossenfort has all ready answered all the questions about his competence. I know someone will say I just like this because they picked a bunch of my guys. Just watch a replay of the draft and listen to what they say about these picks. The Cards are a significantly better team than they were when the draft started. It may take a little developmental time, but the future is bright.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great analysis Harry. I'm also very positive on the Card's draft with the "fit" these players have in their system. Having 7 picks in the first 90 is unbelievable. I guess it happened with Dallas after the Hershel Walker trade back in 1991. These are solid players and like you said they have 5 more picks today to fill other holes. Being a season ticket holder it is going to be fun to watch the team play this season.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All you had to do was listen to the various commentators evaluating each pick. Virtually every Cardinal choice had an evaluator stating this guy was one of my top picks with one finally saying the Cards are “crushing” it. If you’re reading some expert who doesn’t give this draft an “A” so far, just stop reading. BTW while we didn’t always agree at the point the Cards selected them I had, starting from the top, Harrison, Robinson, Benson, Reiman and Jones on my list. I’ll take 5 out of 7 every year.

The main things these guys mostly have in common is they have great athleticism, especially speed. Focusing on Day 2, these new Cards figure to be in AZ for a long time. One of the guys I didn’t know was Adams. It’s easy to overlook second level linemen unless you’re looking specifically at them. I ask around and the consensus is he’ll compete at LG, not RT. The other guy I didn’t have on my list was Melton. He blew up at the Combine. I’m not typically crazy about press corners, but he showed the athleticism to be much more. I don’t see the Cards using him to press much, so it figures year one will involve some conversion struggles. I think he’ll make the transition yet still be able to press if the situation calls for it. I think he’s better than McKinstry long term. Melton’s much faster. Also his game is totally different from Dejean, who is more a captain of the secondary. I think Dejean will have a great career, but Melton is a better pure CB. He’s the better fit. This guy is also a decent ballhawk, which the Cards desperately need. I’m sure Ossenfort was confident he could get this guy if he moved down by trading.

I had Benson as my top guy at 66 and so did the Cards. The Cards needed a breakaway running threat and get that with this guy. Benson, though, is much more. He has surprising power and consistently breaks arm tackles. He’s a solid receiver and figures to be the third down back. His secondary acceleration is stunning. Importantly he does a decent job of picking up rushers to protect his QB. This guy literally does it all. I had him as the top all-around RB in the draft. He immediately makes this offense far more dangerous, especially on third down.

Ossenfort is my kind of guy. He goes BPA at key areas of need. He shows patience and self-confidence that he sees more than other evaluators see, so he can move down and grab picks. However, when he wants someone badly, he’s not afraid to take them early. I had Tip Reiman in my 138 pick group. This guy is a hidden gem. Think of him as a more athletic version of Maxx Williams. He was widely regarded as the best blocking TE in college. Add in the fact he has decent hands and is a load to bring down once he gets the ball. The Illini simply didn’t use the TE in their offense. He a perfect compliment to McBride. He should start immediately when they use 2 TEs. He doesn’t have a huge catch radius, so Murray will have to be precise in his throws to get the most out of him. If the defense ignores Reiman, he’ll burn them. You’ll enjoy watching him make big time blocks on defenders.

Another guy I had in my 138 group was Elijah Jones. The Cards like to play zone in many passing situations, so he’s a fit. One of my big issues with zone is defenders often don’t react quickly enough to close down their zone. The best word to describe his style is sudden. His reaction burst time is outstanding. He had 5 ints last season, so you know he has ball skills. I know many on the board were worried as the Cards passed on some decent CBs, but I think they did fine. It will probably take half the season but when the Cards figure how to mesh their new guys with Garrett Williams, I think they will have a solid unit, far more capable of taking the ball away from their opponents than last season’s group. They need polish and will have to learn their roles and to trust each other, but Ossenfort did a solid job of building this unit.

All this and the Cards have 5 picks left to find some role players. I think Ossenfort has all ready answered all the questions about his competence. I know someone will say I just like this because they picked a bunch of my guys. Just watch a replay of the draft and listen to what they say about these picks. The Cards are a significantly better team than they were when the draft started. It may take a little developmental time, but the future is bright.
Thank you Harry. Your in depth knowledge is a plus for this board imo, I enjoy reading your stuff. I had a quiet confidence about Gannon & Ossenfort from day 1. Just the things they would say & how they said it gave me confidence. I hope we can be a wild card team this season? At the very least be in the hunt. The future of this team looks bright.

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score

Who are some guys you hope the Cardinals will go after in day 3 of the draft?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Thank you Harry!! I live in Illinois and watch all Illini games. Adams is legit at left guard. In 2022, Illinois had one of the best rushing attacks in the nation with Adams at guard. Reiman is a terrific athlete.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Great analysis Harry. I'm also very positive on the Card's draft with the "fit" these players have in their system. Having 7 picks in the first 90 is unbelievable. I guess it happened with Dallas after the Hershel Walker trade back in 1991. These are solid players and like you said they have 5 more picks today to fill other holes. Being a season ticket holder it is going to be fun to watch the team ply this season.
I know other writers don’t grade this draft as highly as I did, but you’re correct “fit” or “role” is the key. Ossenfort & I suspect Gannon clearly have a vision of what they want this team to look like. They weren’t tied to where other evaluators saw these players. They looked at what holes existed in their vision and filled them. In doing so they collected an outstanding group of athletes, several with top tier speed. Speed has become such a big part of this game. Its funny but I looked at several draft graders and they were all over the place on the same pick. Last year the Cards often strategized correctly to defend only to see the players on the field fail to execute. There will still be some of that early, but as the season goes forward this team should dramatically improve.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I like the write up Harry, and I tend to trust your judgement (you earned a paycheck doing this stuff).

I just don’t have a lot of confidence in this franchise to sustain winning. Sure Gannon and Monti may be fantastic, but I know MB likes things the way he wants them, and that rarely seems motivated by winning (the best generals/admirals knew when to **** of the way; Mikey doesn’t understand the concept).

But my glass half full side thinks this buildup/draft is similar to what Seattle did in 2010/11 (whenever it was) when Carrol took over. They built a mini dynasty through the loads of solid draft picks they made.

I’m hoping we are doing something similar.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

Thanks Harry

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The biggest need is still pass rush.

My hope is that the Cardinals draft Mo Kamara with their first pick in round four.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I saw his interview with Brett Kollmans and he is incredibly mature and has an advanced understanding of creating a pass rush plan. He has a good arsenal of moves and bend.

He also tested very well.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I mean, I guess? I like Harry and generally trust his opinion, but last night felt like a big letdown to me. Monti seems to go for raw and hopeful rather than ready to play in the early rounds, so...let's hope that works out.
I mean, we had 4 extra picks!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I mean, I guess? I like Harry and generally trust his opinion, but last night felt like a big letdown to me. Monti seems to go for raw and hopeful rather than ready to play in the early rounds, so...let's hope that works out.

More of a concern regarding the defensive players we got I think, correct?

Stout, I know it's early in their tenures, but what do you think about RG/NR's ability to develop defensive talent?

Do you think our defensive coaches will be able to take these young guys and put them into the correct roles, while maximizing their production?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

My hope is that the Cardinals draft Mo Kamara with their first pick in round four.

I saw his interview with Brett Kollmans and he is incredibly mature and has an advanced understanding of creating a pass rush plan. He has a good arsenal of moves and bend.

@Krangodnzr trying to will Kamara onto the Cardinal's roster!

I want this to happen just because our most productive draftnik has worked so damn hard this Spring!

Come on Monti! Throw my man a freaking bone! lol

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Harry. Your post will put out a few doomsday fires ( but not all, lol)
I’d be interested in your thoughts of what’s left.
I would like to see a rush specialist and another wr.
Seems like Kamara is a popular choice. At Wr Franklin and Rice are out there.

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score

Had to look him up. Definitely would be someone I would want the Cards to draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Had to look him up. Definitely would be someone I would want the Cards to draft.
Look at his combine workout along with his production. He is easily one of the best edge guys in the class based on that.

Sure, he played at Colorado State, but so did Shaq Barrett, Joey Porter, and Clark Haggans (RIP). That's a school that's produced a bevy of pass rushers over the years that were all overlooked and drafted later (or were UDFAs)

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I appreciate and respect your insights Harry. Thanks.

I feel a lot better this morning than last night and I love the Maxx Williams comp for Tip Reiman.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Thank you for the write up. Great stuff.

I was initially a bit down on the picks because there were objectively better players available. But the more I read from experts and the experts that actually have insight to teams' draft rooms. There are a lot of praises coming from them. Chris Simms get draft boards from around 10 teams and had Melton as the #4 CB.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know other writers don’t grade this draft as highly as I did, but you’re correct “fit” or “role” is the key. Ossenfort & I suspect Gannon clearly have a vision of what they want this team to look like. They weren’t tied to where other evaluators saw these players. They looked at what holes existed in their vision and filled them. In doing so they collected an outstanding group of athletes, several with top tier speed. Speed has become such a big part of this game. Its funny but I looked at several draft graders and they were all over the place on the same pick. Last year the Cards often strategized correctly to defend only to see the players on the field fail to execute. There will still be some of that early, but as the season goes forward this team should dramatically improve.
Harry, I am a draftnik and have been following the NFL draft for almost 70 years. But like almost everyone on the board, I do it from a fan’s perspective not a scout like you were.
Very few of the media's so called football experts have actual scouting experience but they sure have celebrity status. We are upset when our team passes on a player rated high on the pundits list and take a lower rated player instead. That is exactly what is happening now on this board. Additionally, instant grading of drafts picks is one of the most stupid activities that take place but it gets lots of media hype so that is why they do it. I feel that with Monti and JG we have high quality people running the Cards football organization. They know what they are doing. They are not only building a team but also developing a culture. I feel we will see results this coming season and hopefully for a long time afterwards.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Kamara could be a consideration, but like the guys they have he lacks technique. He’s all about power and so he’d be a prospect, but power isn’t typically enough in the NFL. He was weak against the run He’s not as athletic as the speed might lead you to believe. I just think his top is a medium level rusher. A more experienced player with that level is likely to come available to acquire.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I appreciate and respect your insights Harry. Thanks.

I feel a lot better this morning than last night and I love the Maxx Williams comp for Tip Reiman.
He actually has a higher ceiling than Williams. However Williams was wasted as a receiver until the Cards got him. If you liked him you’ll like Reiman.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison