Oh What a Night

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who are these players you’re talking about?
One of the other corners we missed out on were more ready to play. Harry said it himself in the "after this season..." remark on Melton. I liked the Benson pick. The TE? LMFAO. The OG? He has to start but is he ready to? I haven't read anything about him being plug-and-play and there were better options on IOL early. The other corner we took doesn't appear ready to start. These aren't late round guys--these are guys expected to be big contributors right away.

I don't hate all the picks, and liked our first round, but some of the others make me wonder. And trading back really makes me wonder.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
One of the other corners we missed out on were more ready to play. Harry said it himself in the "after this season..." remark on Melton. I liked the Benson pick. The TE? LMFAO. The OG? He has to start but is he ready to? I haven't read anything about him being plug-and-play and there were better options on IOL early. The other corner we took doesn't appear ready to start. These aren't late round guys--these are guys expected to be big contributors right away.

I don't hate all the picks, and liked our first round, but some of the others make me wonder. And trading back really makes me wonder.
Man the Cardinals drafted all these guys who played no games in college...what are they doing?!?

:)

Stout

Reaction score
More of a concern regarding the defensive players we got I think, correct?

Stout, I know it's early in their tenures, but what do you think about RG/NR's ability to develop defensive talent?

Do you think our defensive coaches will be able to take these young guys and put them into the correct roles, while maximizing their production?
I'm not sure about their ability to develop defensive talent--we haven't seen enough from them yet on that score. I do absolutely love their ability to get every last drop of productivity out of dog poo, which is a good asset. Our defense was way better last year than it had any right to be.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right. Would've been nice to come out feeling like we got more instant impact from them.
I will tell you that Max Melton was in my second tier of corners, but that's just my tiers and I don't have even 1% the information that NFL teams have.

After McKinstry was gone, my next tier of guys was guys like TJ Tampa and Max Melton. I get why teams might not like Tampa (he's still available), but Melton is a really good player when you look at his production and athletic profile.

DeJean is a tweener who might not be able to play CB in the NFL. Scouts say he lacks fluid hips, which has been the undoing of many DBs coming into the NFL. Personally, I would have gambled on him, but again, I'm smart enough to know we just lack so much information.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Wait why does our 3rd round OG have to start? I don’t expect any of our 3rd round picks to be starters this year, they all will contribute, spot starts, rotation and special teams but expecting most 3rd round draft picks to be immediate starters is strange.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about their ability to develop defensive talent--we haven't seen enough from them yet on that score. I do absolutely love their ability to get every last drop of productivity out of dog poo, which is a good asset. Our defense was way better last year than it had any right to be.
I've said the same thing about the defense last year. Stats won't show it, but those guys competed. Yes, it can be said they played harder because they were fighting for a job. However, guys seem to wanna run through a wall for Gannon & that makes me feel good moving forward. One thing I really love is the culture thing put in motion, if a guy doesn't eat, drink & sleep football with a good attitude, they're not gonna play for this team.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Kamara could be a consideration, but like the guys they have he lacks technique. He’s all about power and so he’d be a prospect, but power isn’t typically enough in the NFL. He was weak against the run He’s not as athletic as the speed might lead you to believe. I just think his top is a medium level rusher. A more experienced player with that level is likely to come available to acquire.
word - i'll pass on the 4th round pass rush - i hope we're looking at other positions

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I've said the same thing about the defense last year. Stats won't show it, but those guys competed. Yes, it can be said they played harder because they were fighting for a job. However, guys seem to wanna run through a wall for Gannon & that makes me feel good moving forward. One thing I really love is the culture thing put in motion, if a guy doesn't eat, drink & sleep football with a good attitude, they're not gonna play for this team.
I think it was Darius Robinson that said when he met JG, "man I hope this guy drafts me". just saying!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you had to do was listen to the various commentators evaluating each pick. Virtually every Cardinal choice had an evaluator stating this guy was one of my top picks with one finally saying the Cards are “crushing” it. If you’re reading some expert who doesn’t give this draft an “A” so far, just stop reading. BTW while we didn’t always agree at the point the Cards selected them I had, starting from the top, Harrison, Robinson, Benson, Reiman and Jones on my list. I’ll take 5 out of 7 every year.

The main things these guys mostly have in common is they have great athleticism, especially speed. Focusing on Day 2, these new Cards figure to be in AZ for a long time. One of the guys I didn’t know was Adams. It’s easy to overlook second level linemen unless you’re looking specifically at them. I ask around and the consensus is he’ll compete at LG, not RT. The other guy I didn’t have on my list was Melton. He blew up at the Combine. I’m not typically crazy about press corners, but he showed the athleticism to be much more. I don’t see the Cards using him to press much, so it figures year one will involve some conversion struggles. I think he’ll make the transition yet still be able to press if the situation calls for it. I think he’s better than McKinstry long term. Melton’s much faster. Also his game is totally different from Dejean, who is more a captain of the secondary. I think Dejean will have a great career, but Melton is a better pure CB. He’s the better fit. This guy is also a decent ballhawk, which the Cards desperately need. I’m sure Ossenfort was confident he could get this guy if he moved down by trading.

I had Benson as my top guy at 66 and so did the Cards. The Cards needed a breakaway running threat and get that with this guy. Benson, though, is much more. He has surprising power and consistently breaks arm tackles. He’s a solid receiver and figures to be the third down back. His secondary acceleration is stunning. Importantly he does a decent job of picking up rushers to protect his QB. This guy literally does it all. I had him as the top all-around RB in the draft. He immediately makes this offense far more dangerous, especially on third down.

Ossenfort is my kind of guy. He goes BPA at key areas of need. He shows patience and self-confidence that he sees more than other evaluators see, so he can move down and grab picks. However, when he wants someone badly, he’s not afraid to take them early. I had Tip Reiman in my 138 pick group. This guy is a hidden gem. Think of him as a more athletic version of Maxx Williams. He was widely regarded as the best blocking TE in college. Add in the fact he has decent hands and is a load to bring down once he gets the ball. The Illini simply didn’t use the TE in their offense. He a perfect compliment to McBride. He should start immediately when they use 2 TEs. He doesn’t have a huge catch radius, so Murray will have to be precise in his throws to get the most out of him. If the defense ignores Reiman, he’ll burn them. You’ll enjoy watching him make big time blocks on defenders.

Another guy I had in my 138 group was Elijah Jones. The Cards like to play zone in many passing situations, so he’s a fit. One of my big issues with zone is defenders often don’t react quickly enough to close down their zone. The best word to describe his style is sudden. His reaction burst time is outstanding. He had 5 ints last season, so you know he has ball skills. I know many on the board were worried as the Cards passed on some decent CBs, but I think they did fine. It will probably take half the season but when the Cards figure how to mesh their new guys with Garrett Williams, I think they will have a solid unit, far more capable of taking the ball away from their opponents than last season’s group. They need polish and will have to learn their roles and to trust each other, but Ossenfort did a solid job of building this unit.

All this and the Cards have 5 picks left to find some role players. I think Ossenfort has all ready answered all the questions about his competence. I know someone will say I just like this because they picked a bunch of my guys. Just watch a replay of the draft and listen to what they say about these picks. The Cards are a significantly better team than they were when the draft started. It may take a little developmental time, but the future is bright.

I knew Harry loved Benson because we talked about it during the season a couple of times and Harry had said then he thought Benson might be the best RB in the draft class.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thank you for the write up. Great stuff.

I was initially a bit down on the picks because there were objectively better players available. But the more I read from experts and the experts that actually have insight to teams' draft rooms. There are a lot of praises coming from them. Chris Simms get draft boards from around 10 teams and had Melton as the #4 CB.
This is a misuse of this word. Talent evaluation when moving from one level to the next is almost by definition wholly subjective in nature. If they were “objectively” rankable every mock draft would be literally identical.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wait why does our 3rd round OG have to start? I don’t expect any of our 3rd round picks to be starters this year, they all will contribute, spot starts, rotation and special teams but expecting most 3rd round draft picks to be immediate starters is strange.
If a team that’s been lacking talent doesn’t expect at least 2 of 4 3rd round selections to start (at some point in 2024, not necessarily right outta the gate) they are drafting too much developmental talent imo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If a team that’s been lacking talent doesn’t expect at least 2 of 4 3rd round selections to start (at some point in 2024, not necessarily right outta the gate) they are drafting too much developmental talent imo.
I think the Cardinals expect Adams to be a starter soon and for Reiman to play a lot as a blocker and occasional pass catcher.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who are you and what have you done with Ouchie?
I’m a guy who uses to be a voracious draftnik. Would buy every magazine and there used to be a book with a massive amount of prospects and I’d read all of them cover to cover. I had a lot of opinions about who and where players should and would be picked. Then I grew older and wiser and didn’t have as much time to pour into everything and gained the perspective that even if I did my data would still be insufficient in comparison to the actual guys making the picks and so I adapted my analysis from players to strategy. I’m less concerned with the players picked, I don’t enough about that, than I am about positions targeted, and a gm accurately reading the draft to know when to move and when to grab what position.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a guy who uses to be a voracious draftnik. Would buy every magazine and there used to be a book with a massive amount of prospects and I’d read all of them cover to cover. I had a lot of opinions about who and where players should and would be picked. Then I grew older and wiser and didn’t have as much time to pour into everything and gained the perspective that even if I did my data would still be insufficient in comparison to the actual guys making the picks and so I adapted my analysis from players to strategy. I’m less concerned with the players picked, I don’t enough about that, than I am about positions targeted, and a gm accurately reading the draft to know when to move and when to grab what position.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
expecting most 3rd round draft picks to be immediate starters is strange.

For a 4-12 team it’s not that strange, especially if the FO is motivated not to block them with veterans.

Michael Carter could be traded/cut before training camp; Demeracdo may or may not make it out. RB2 could be cleared for Benson.

Swaim may not be coming back — Higgins who couldn’t make the veteran Dolphins is the only thing standing in the way of Reiman.

We have fringe NFL players at LG if Adams can take the job.

Jones is only blocked by Melton. Sean Murphy Bunting is being paid $10 million this year; hard to move him off that spot. Could still get a lot of snaps in dime situations though.

It would be very easy to sell a narrative that we’re going to take our lumps with these young players and make a playoff push in 2025.

That pass rush is still so troubling though.
I think the Cardinals expect Adams to be a starter soon and for Reiman to play a lot as a blocker and occasional pass catcher.

Rookie and even second-year tight ends are rarely productive. The jump is very large. That room is very young RN; maybe they still bring Swaim back?

Stout

Reaction score
While I don't agree with Krang that guards shouldn't be taken only in the 4th round or later, I do agree that those taken earlier than the 4th need to be special enough to start.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
For a 4-12 team it’s not that strange, especially if the FO is motivated not to block them with veterans.

Michael Carter could be traded/cut before training camp; Demeracdo may or may not make it out. RB2 could be cleared for Benson.

Swaim may not be coming back — Higgins who couldn’t make the veteran Dolphins is the only thing standing in the way of Reiman.

We have fringe NFL players at LG if Adams can take the job.

Jones is only blocked by Melton. Sean Murphy Bunting is being paid $10 million this year; hard to move him off that spot. Could still get a lot of snaps in dime situations though.

It would be very easy to sell a narrative that we’re going to take our lumps with these young players and make a playoff push in 2025.

That pass rush is still so troubling though.

Rookie and even second-year tight ends are rarely productive. The jump is very large. That room is very young RN; maybe they still bring Swaim back?

Pretty clear the plan is 2025 after what we saw in free agency. The problem is several teams will be around that $100m in cap space number next year and there’s literally nobody to extend besides McBride or possibly Jalen.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pretty clear the plan is 2025 after what we saw in free agency. The problem is several teams will be around that $100m in cap space number next year and there’s literally nobody to extend besides McBride or possibly Jalen.
They’re not going to finish the roster in free agency; I’ll bet they finish with 6-8 wins, draft between 8 and 14, and hope to find a pass rusher.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
very interested to see how the corners play this year

last year at this time, it was:

starters: Marco Wilson, Antonio Hamilton
backups: Ketrel Clark-R, Christian Matthew, Chris Boyd (Garret Wilson on PUP)

I think only Antonio and Clark were on the roster by year end.

this year:

starters: Murphy-Bunting, Williams
backups: Starling-Thomas, Clark, Divaad Wilson, Melton-R, Jones-R, Davis-R

you kinda see why they kept drafting corners, regardless of what Monti said

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
very interested to see how the corners play this year

last year at this time, it was:

starters: Marco Wilson, Antonio Hamilton
backups: Ketrel Clark-R, Christian Matthew, Chris Boyd (Garret Wilson on PUP)

I think only Antonio and Clark were on the roster by year end.

this year:

starters: Murphy-Bunting, Williams
backups: Starling-Thomas, Clark, Divaad Wilson, Melton-R, Jones-R, Davis-R

you kinda see why they kept drafting corners, regardless of what Monti said
Clark started the season at CB last year.

I expect Melton to start; they really like Williams out of the slot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison