Redrafting the 2023 NFL Draft

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Athletic had an article today on "Redrafting the 2023 NFL Draft". They didn't employ draft-day trades, so here's how they figured it would've gone down, knowing how each player has turned out so far as a pro. I included some of their explanations when I found them interesting or non-obvious:
1. Carolina Panthers: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
Original pick: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
Original pick: Stroud

I considered Anthony Richardson, and even Will Levis, here at No. 2. However, I think it’s important for people to understand context of the situation Young landed in last season. The Panthers were a disaster across the board. Young’s offensive line couldn’t protect or consistently create room on the ground. The defense was sloppy. The head coach got fired mid-year.

Young was better at the end of the year than he was at the start. And though there’s nothing to celebrate about his rookie campaign, he was out there every week and is still the same highly intelligent processor who can make plays, if he’s given some help.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama
Original pick (made by Houston after trade): Anderson

I really wanted to take Anderson at No. 2, but the Texans needed a QB.

Anderson’s rookie season was more or less as advertised — the explosive and relentless pass rusher led all rookies with 68 pressures. The Alabama product, who also tallied a 16.4 percent win-rate, didn’t get the national buzz Stroud did because of the position he plays. But the Texans hit two home runs last year, no question.

12. Houston Texas: Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
Original pick (made by Detroit after trade): Gibbs

The Cardinals moved up to No. 6 to snag Johnson last year. Time will tell if the aggressive jump was worth it, but Johnson did have a solid rookie season at right tackle and could swap over to left tackle if need be. He’s also still versatile enough to play guard. A very promising athlete.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard