Streaming Equipment (Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Roku, Fire Stick et al)

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cable and satellite are dead. Almost no one under 35 watches TV for an hour.
We have DirecTV and I was telling my wife last night that in probably about 5 years, DTV will be dead and everything will be streaming services. Ugh.

She's a cyclist and has been trying to watch Tour de France, but they are streaming most of it on Peacock. It's terrible. You can't "fast watch" anything because the FF button will FF while on the last screen position then "jump" to the new position without watching it in fast motion. Thus, she can't stop it on interviews, crashes, other interesting things.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have DirecTV and I was telling my wife last night that in probably about 5 years, DTV will be dead and everything will be streaming services. Ugh.

She's a cyclist and has been trying to watch Tour de France, but they are streaming most of it on Peacock. It's terrible. You can't "fast watch" anything because the FF button will FF while on the last screen position then "jump" to the new position without watching it in fast motion. Thus, she can't stop it on interviews, crashes, other interesting things.
I haven't had cable or satellite since 2015 and I don't miss it or the bill.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That more has to do with the device that you are watching Peacock on, rather than the service itself.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That more has to do with the device that you are watching Peacock on, rather than the service itself.
I used my Samsung Smart TV as well as a Firestick. What should we be using?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game console? AppleTV? Are you using the same remote for both devices?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game console? AppleTV? Are you using the same remote for both devices?
Different remotes. Streaming sucks.

Can you FF on Peacock's TdF and see what's going on during the FF? If so, what do you use?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am curious too. I use fire stick and some apps I get a window while I FF and can see what I am skipping past. Other apps it seems I just have to guess when to stop FF just by looking at the minute marks changing. No window to watch what you are passing.

Plus the old days, we would VCR stuff and could skip ads. Now depending on the app, you get commercials no matter what.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious too. I use fire stick and some apps I get a window while I FF and can see what I am skipping past. Other apps it seems I just have to guess when to stop FF just by looking at the minute marks changing. No window to watch what you are passing.

Plus the old days, we would VCR stuff and could skip ads. Now depending on the app, you get commercials no matter what.
Yeah most make you pay extra for no ads. The bastards.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Different remotes. Streaming sucks.

Can you FF on Peacock's TdF and see what's going on during the FF? If so, what do you use?

Yeah I would like to know. That's always been my complaint with streaming. You can't freeze frame, then advance one frame at a time.

But if it's the remote that's the problem, that would kind of make sense because the standard streaming remote is a toy compared to what DirectTV gives you. On the other hand, I think it's more of an issue with bandwidth or lag time with streaming vs satellite. I don't think it's possible with the technology yet.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Peacock is a poorly built app and needs to be completely redesigned. It’s much easier to navigate on Hulu and Max streaming apps. I also noticed that Prime works better on my new TV than it did on my old one.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Apple TV 4k
Disney +
Max
Hulu
YouTube Premium (comes with YT Music)
Fubo

Never use a stick or the in-tv streamer...... they are way too underpowered IMO. Apple TV & the Fire Cube are probably the only two I would consider. Roku Ultra is good too but I don't personally like the OS. Apple is the clear OS winner for streaming IMO. Especially with the integration of Vudu, Movies Anywhere, and the Apple libraries.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Firesticks are garbage, get a $20 ONN 4K Google Tv box, way better, I've used every streaming device (I have a drawer full of em lol) , my main devices are Nvidia Shields but they're pricey but worth it if you're gonna go all in on streaming....which doesn't really sound like you are very happy about lol

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Firesticks are garbage, get a $20 ONN 4K Google Tv box, way better, I've used every streaming device (I have a drawer full of em lol) , my main devices are Nvidia Shields but they're pricey but worth it if you're gonna go all in on streaming....which doesn't really sound like you are very happy about lol
Ooooh. These are nice also if you have zero ties to the apple ecosystem. Shield TV pro is a solid unit.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check on these.

blindseyed

Reaction score
Ooooh. These are nice also if you have zero ties to the apple ecosystem. Shield TV pro is a solid unit.
Apple is very powerful and excellent specs (had one back in 2019) but Apple is locked down whereas Android has open source which makes streaming 3rd party apps extremely easy (Kodi etc...)
But i digress I'm way off topic lol

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Nvidia Shield Pro from Amazon and it'll be delivered by the time I get home tonight! Woot!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Excellent
I wish they had these units set up somewhere at like a Walmart, or Target, etc. Just so you could play with them and see which ones you like. Of course, you need someone to show you how to really operate each one. I was at the Apple Store in Chandler Fashion Square, and they didn't have anyone there that could run me through why I should get one from Apple. So I stick to the fire stick.

blindseyed

Reaction score
I wish they had these units set up somewhere at like a Walmart, or Target, etc. Just so you could play with them and see which ones you like. Of course, you need someone to show you how to really operate each one. I was at the Apple Store in Chandler Fashion Square, and they didn't have anyone there that could run me through why I should get one from Apple. So I stick to the fire stick.
Tons of groups online, I use telegram for all my nerd and geek stuff lol there's a learning curve but once you get the going and find the full potential it's addicting,
Oh I gotta stay in topic...not an ESPN fan anyway , if they get back to just sports then I'm back in lol

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tons of groups online, I use telegram for all my nerd and geek stuff lol there's a learning curve but once you get the going and find the full potential it's addicting,
Oh I gotta stay in topic...not an ESPN fan anyway , if they get back to just sports then I'm back in lol
I'm going to move this discussion to the tech forum in case anyone else wants to find it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison