Streaming Equipment (Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Roku, Fire Stick et al)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
No, but my Samsung tv has a One Connect Box though.
Try power cycling the one connect box. Do you have a hard drive connected to your shield?
Are you plugged into the arc/earc HMI port on your TV? If not try switching to it. Sometimes it's the only one that handles everything correctly.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try power cycling the one connect box. Do you have a hard drive connected to your shield?
Are you plugged into the arc/earc HMI port on your TV? If not try switching to it. Sometimes it's the only one that handles everything correctly.
Will do. I'll try those. I don't have a hard drive connected to it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to watch Netflix and Prime last night with my Shield. But all I got was a pink screen with sound. The Google says something about HDMI connections but I bought new 8K cables and it streams Peacock fine and allows me to do the setup screens in Netflix + Prime, but won't actually show the show. Anyone have any suggestions?
Buying 8k cables isn't a good thing to do unless every device in the chain supports 8k which is highly unlikely. I'd also try switching the cables, it sounds like it could be an HDCP thing.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured it out. Even though I have a 4K TV I had to switch the resolution to 1080P and I got it to work.

Thanks for all the suggestions

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured it out. Even though I have a 4K TV I had to switch the resolution to 1080P and I got it to work.

That's sounds like the HDCP in the cables. I bet regular certified 4k cables would work too I would imagine. Why settle with 1080p if you have 4k?

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

So I would assume Netflix and Prime is limited to that resolution. There's some channels on Youtube TV that are 4K sometimes.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

You had to switch the TV resolution to 1080p or Netflix's resolution? You should have to do the the former. If that's what you had to do check what your Shield's match content is set to.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had to switch the TV resolution to 1080p or Netflix's resolution? You should have to do the the former. If that's what you had to do check what your Shield's match content is set to.
The Shield has a display output. I had to change it to out at 1080P. But we were watching a show and hallway through it, the pink came back. I switched out the cables to just standard HDMI and it was still pink.

My TV is a 4k TV but 6 years old

We are finishing watching just in the smart TV prime app and not using the shield. Ugh. I'm probably going to return it. :(

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The Shield has a display output. I had to change it to out at 1080P. But we were watching a show and hallway through it, the pink came back. I switched out the cables to just standard HDMI and it was still pink.

My TV is a 4k TV but 6 years old

We are finishing watching just in the smart TV prime app and not using the shield. Ugh. I'm probably going to return it. :(
Return it and try an AppleTV out. I've read about the issues your describing before. Something in your setup isn't matching up with it. I'm not sure what though.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HDMI is still a cluster. :bang: Sorry to hear the Shield wasn't your streaming solution.

I'm not one to heap the praise on Apple for fanboi's sake, but the Apple TV 4K is a fantastic device. I still don't like the remote very much, but most people love that too.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HDMI is still a cluster. :bang: Sorry to hear the Shield wasn't your streaming solution.

I'm not one to heap the praise on Apple for fanboi's sake, but the Apple TV 4K is a fantastic device. I still don't like the remote very much, but most people love that too.
I'm going to pick one of those ATV up and move the Shield to another tv. Ugh.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I haven't picked it up yet. Weird thing is that the Shield does work fine except for Prime which is weird.
maybe a format that prime streams differently? Just a thought, does Amazon see the new device as something it should stream to? maybe you have to add it to your list?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe a format that prime streams differently? Just a thought, does Amazon see the new device as something it should stream to? maybe you have to add it to your list?
Everything that he described sounded like HDCP, and not a format issue. If there were a audio/video codec issue, the different services wouldn't be available for that device.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything that he described sounded like HDCP, and not a format issue. If there were a audio/video codec issue, the different services wouldn't be available for that device.
What's HDCP? I'm such a non tech guy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's HDCP? I'm such a non tech guy.
In layman's terms, it is copyright protection that HDMI has forced into its cables. The newer and higher quality cable, (in general) the more protection that it has. Some devices, TVs, etc don't have the same level of protection. You see lines, blank screens and the like if all devices in the chain don't share the same HDCP versions.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree it could be HDCP. However, I am keyed into that the Shield works for him on everything except Prime. That makes it sound like an issue with Prime Video itself? Delete and download the Prime Video App if you are using it? What do you guys think?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In layman's terms, it is copyright protection that HDMI has forced into its cables. The newer and higher quality cable, (in general) the more protection that it has. Some devices, TVs, etc don't have the same level of protection. You see lines, blank screens and the like if all devices in the chain don't share the same HDCP versions.

I believe he mentioned his problems were with an older 4K TV. The moving target that HDMI was during that time could certainly be rearing its ugly head with the Shield.

JF, how did it go when you power cycled and tried different HDMI inputs? Any changes?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe he mentioned his problems were with an older 4K TV. The moving target that HDMI was during that time could certainly be rearing its ugly head with the Shield.

JF, how did it go when you power cycled and tried different HDMI inputs? Any changes?
Exactly. Every device in the chain has to support it and it looks like the 10 year old TV may be the odd man out.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No it still gave me a pink screen on Amazon. Weird though, it only happens during when the streaming begins. In other words, I can search movies, shows, etc, and watch a teaser about the show, but as soon as it starts, I get the sound, but a big pink screen.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Every device in the chain has to support it and it looks like the 10 year old TV may be the odd man out.
I may have to go buy me a new one. The TV is 6 years old. It's crazy how quickly things go out of tech.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have to go buy me a new one. The TV is 6 years old. It's crazy how quickly things go out of tech.

That's a decent run for a monitor these days. Remarkably, my 10 year old 1080 plasma is still doing very well in the bedroom after being replaced by my OLED in the main room. Everything in the chain had to be updated to carry those 4K signals and I waited a couple years for the specs to finally shake out. I'm sure they'll screw it all up soon so they can force us all to upgrade again.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
No it still gave me a pink screen on Amazon. Weird though, it only happens during when the streaming begins. In other words, I can search movies, shows, etc, and watch a teaser about the show, but as soon as it starts, I get the sound, but a big pink screen.
That really sounds like some sort of DRM/HDCP issue then. The UI isn't protected, only the videos. So what you described makes sense to me from a tech standpoint.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That really sounds like some sort of DRM/HDCP issue then. The UI isn't protected, only the videos. So what you described makes sense to me from a tech standpoint.
It's weird it's only on the Amazon videos. He says video works well in other apps. Could it possibly be a driver issue? Maybe uninstall, reinstall?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison