The 2024 NBA playoffs thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I usually feel that way, but I found out I can still get some enjoyment from playoffs basketball. Knicks - Sixers was fun to watch. Embiid should get stricter punishment for all the crap he pulls. Will be fun to watch the eastern conference, especially when I don't have to watch the Greek Freak run people over. I also have hope for Wolves vs Nuggets. That should be a good series. Not going to watch the Mavs. I don't feel like watching Luka complain to the refs for two hours * the number of games they are still in it. He's a good player though. Imagine if he worked on his body this summer and slimmed down a bit.
I'll never support the knicks. many of the NYK fans are the same ones that hate on the cowboys for their irrelevance so I think it is funny that the knicks stay irrelevant too.

I do like J. Brunson and I have no hard feelings about him leaving dallas. I blame cuban and carlisle for that. but give cuban credit for getting K. Irving who is a better player than brunson IMO, although brunson has surely closed that gap and proven that the mavericks were also wrong about him somehow.

imagine if brunson worked on his height and got taller. he would be so much better.

why do I make such a ridiculous comment? because a lot of people passed on him because of his body type. Carlisle held it against brunson for being young and small and it kept brunson from being a star under Carlisle's tenure. we saw brunson flourish after carlisle left and kidd unleashed him.

I'm not hear to say that doncic should ignore his weight and fitness. But I also don't know how much weight doncic can lose without his interior game suffering from it on both ends. I know he won't always get credit for it, but he is a good defensive rebounder and I think his size has a lot to do with it. Luka is one of the top players in the league. changing his body type could be detrimental to his game. I'm starting to think a fair amount of his critics are just body shaming him because he's good at basketball while not looking like everyone else does.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
dallas was at a solid 9 during the clippers series. they withstood hardaway jr's injury from game 2 while still rotating 9 players not counting garbage time. but they lost Maxi Kleber in game 6 to a severe injury. they will miss Kleber especially for his interior defense and ability to hit open 3's. he is not replaceable. the other players farther down the rotation can score, but don't have his size and ability to rebound and defend multiple positions like Kleber does. Kleber may have been their most versatile defender and he really shined with the mavericks new players because he no longer had to follow the opposing team's top scorer all of the time.

hmmm... really sorry to hear about Kleber. Hope both teams otherwise stay healthy and that it's a well officiated series! May the best team win!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah it's a really easy 3 hour drive to from DAL to OKC.

And by the way, we didn't "steal their franchise" any more than Arizona stole the Cardinals from Missouri. Sometimes the best thing for a team is to move. It happens. Let it go man.
I can tell you folks from Seattle haven’t let it go. They hate that franchise, Oklahoma City, the state of Oklahoma and everyone in it. Vehemently. That wasn’t a case where the team wasn’t supported by the fans. They had great fan support. Remember Bennett promised them the team would stay and when he failed to get publicly funded arena (and the talk is he didn’t try very hard) he moved them to his hometown. Those fans have a right to be bitter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wow. Okay, I understand Bennett bought the team with the intention of moving them.

But there were about a million chances for the Sonics to stay in SEA before it got to that point. Just like when the Cardinals moved from STL, and the bottom line is that SEA just wasn't that interested in keeping the team there.

Here's an article from longtime SEA sports columnist Art Theil that supports this:

And calling Bennett a scumbag is too harsh. It's not like he committed any crimes or anything. He's an opportunist for sure. Maybe a little unscrupulous. A little slimy like a lot rich guys. But a scumbag? Nah. More of a shrewd entrepreneur who was trying to pump up his plucky little home town.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now Phrazbit! The team has a good home now. The franchise is in a good place so everything seems to have worked out for the best.

Hope you are doing good and looking forward to the upcoming renaissance season for the Cardinals! :)
This is a terribly myopic post. Think those lifelong sonics fans think “everything seems to have worked out for the best?”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wow. wow wow wow.

I have such a high opinion of you MigratingOsprey, but this post is very disappointing. Still so bitter 15 years after the fact.

Still, I can try to understand what it must have felt like for the Sonic fans that were passionate about their team. The whole thing must have been a slow motion nightmare.

But sometimes a relationship just isn't working anymore. Sure one side "cheats" and that initiates the divorce, but the cheating was just symptom of the overall dysfunction of the relationship.

Look I really didn't want to reopen old wounds. Can't we just agree that the team has a good home now, with all the fan and community support in the world? Can you see that some might have the perspective that everything worked out for the best for the franchise?

Anyway, hope you're otherwise well and that seahawks have a healthy 2024. Hope you're excited for the upcoming football season.
Jesus this is like kicking the ex in the face.

Bad form man.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If someone had bought the Suns and moved them in a similar style to how Bennett absconded with the franchise I would want nothing but the absolute worst for them for eternity.

Nothing against the people of Oklahoma but I would feel the exact way you do. My favorite team would forever be whatever team the relocated bastardized "Suns" were playing against.
Agreed

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Jesus this is like kicking the ex in the face.

Bad form man.

It was 15 years ago Ouchie. Okay?

I thought that was generally enough time for Sonics fans to process what happened and to move on. Obviously I was mistaken.

I feel bad enough that I stirred up a bunch of trouble, and I don't need anyone to scold me. Can we move on please? Thanks!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can tell you folks from Seattle haven’t let it go. They hate that franchise, Oklahoma City, the state of Oklahoma and everyone in it. Vehemently. That wasn’t a case where the team wasn’t supported by the fans. They had great fan support. Remember Bennett promised them the team would stay and when he failed to get publicly funded arena (and the talk is he didn’t try very hard) he moved them to his hometown. Those fans have a right to be bitter.

Seattle definitely hasn't gotten over losing the Sonics. I see more new Sonics gear than Mariners gear at my kids school in Seattle.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seattle definitely hasn't gotten over losing the Sonics. I see more new Sonics gear than Mariners gear at my kids school in Seattle.
I thought of it as the NBA equivalent of Cleveland losing the Browns. Other NBA teams have moved, but none of those other fan bases were as in love with their team as Seattle was with the Sonics.

And, I hated the Sonics as a Suns fans. That was always a crazy difficult place to play. The Thunder.... Not the same. Not even close to being what the Sonics were.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought of it as the NBA equivalent of Cleveland losing the Browns. Other NBA teams have moved, but none of those other fan bases were as in love with their team as Seattle was with the Sonics.

And, I hated the Sonics as a Suns fans. That was always a crazy difficult place to play. The Thunder.... Not the same. Not even close to being what the Sonics were.
In the 90’s I thought that Seattle had the best playoff home court in the nba. their fans were so good. Never saw it coming that they would move. I still don’t understand it. I’m not here to bash OKC fans. They have supported their team. With that said I completely understand why Seattle fans will never get over it. if OKC lost their team they would be upset as well. I’ve seen a similar thing with the stars and Minnesota wild. I can’t wait for Seattle to get their nba team again so that they can have a bitter rivalry with OKC.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother in law was a HUGE Sonics fan. He still talks about it and has his Kemp Jersey and other gear to this day.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 90’s I thought that Seattle had the best playoff home court in the nba. their fans were so good. Never saw it coming that they would move. I still don’t understand it. I’m not here to bash OKC fans. They have supported their team. With that said I completely understand why Seattle fans will never get over it. if OKC lost their team they would be upset as well. I’ve seen a similar thing with the stars and Minnesota wild. I can’t wait for Seattle to get their nba team again so that they can have a bitter rivalry with OKC.

The Sonics were done wrong by the NBA. At least they kept the rights to their name, "Sonics."

I especially think about Dennis Johnson and Jack Sikma when I think about Seattle.

Hope they get a new franchise soon.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Sonics were done wrong by the NBA. At least they kept the rights to their name, "Sonics."

I especially think about Dennis Johnson and Jack Sikma when I think about Seattle.

yeah I think it is Seattle and Vegas that are getting teams when the NBA expands. having just attended a hockey game in Vegas, they have some serious transit flaws that they need to address for their patrons. it's ridiculous. I think Seattle already has a great transit system in place. I think Seattle is arguably the best city that I have ever watched a live sporting event.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I followed Sikma's career - he grew up in a small town near my Grandpa's farm, and went to college near me - my sister went to the same college - they overlapped on year, and were the same major.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I followed Sikma's career - he grew up in a small town near my Grandpa's farm, and went to college near me - my sister went to the same college - they overlapped on year, and were the same major.

Sikma had that unusual shooting form of putting the ball back behind his head and it worked. It's hard to believe the NBA took the team out of Seattle with such loyal fans.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what happened to Halliburton pre and post all-star break.

He was at 22/12 and fell to 17/10, with his 3 point shot plummeting from 40 to 30%.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wonder what happened to Halliburton pre and post all-star break.

He was at 22/12 and fell to 17/10, with his 3 point shot plummeting from 40 to 30%.

He had a bad groin or hamstring injury and he came back too soon and re-injured it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sooooo Brunson is like the best PG in the world now lol

I gotta be honest I didn’t see this in him at all. I thought he was a good role player and laughed that the Knicks gave him all that money.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was SUCH A FLOP!

Man, that’s a weak call at this point in the game.