USC/UCLA leaving Pac12 for Big10?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the above podcast, they were talking about ASU and others in the Pac 12 wanting to have to 26 sports and Big 12 schools only have 16.

It takes a lot more revenue to do that. Football has to help carry the load. It cannot take a back seat. Michael Crow needs to realize this.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In the above podcast, they were talking about ASU and others in the Pac 12 wanting to have to 26 sports and Big 12 schools only have 16.

It takes a lot more revenue to do that. Football has to help carry the load. It cannot take a back seat. Michael Crow needs to realize this.
He also needs to realize that basketball is a revenue generator (although far less than football). The basketball program to be supported with facility investments, etc.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also needs to realize that basketball is a revenue generator (although far less thank football). The basketball program to be supported with facility investments, etc.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I used to have season tickets at the former ASU Activity Center and found the seats to be too close together and the legroom to be lacking. They need a new arena.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I used to have season tickets at the former ASU Activity Center and found the seats to be too close together and the legroom to be lacking. They need a new arena.
Handrails would be nice, and I understand that the locker rooms badly need to be updated. Competitive facilities matter, both to incoming recruits and to the attending fans helping to foot the bill.

And of course Crow contradicted the statements that Anderson made here: https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-arena-could-undergo-renovations/70221421007/

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not saying ASU should not have made the move so don’t go down that road. My question is:

What is a program that has made the move to a “better” conference and seen success on the field of play for football?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not saying ASU should not have made the move so don’t go down that road. My question is:

What is a program that has made the move to a “better” conference and seen success on the field of play for football?
It's a really long list:

See - very impressive list!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Make football separate from the rest of the sports - it's that easy!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Make football separate from the rest of the sports - it's that easy!
For the life of me, I cannot understand why Group of 5 hasn’t established their own championship years ago. I’m sure it’s somehow a money thing but it could all be on campuses like FCS and I think it would be viable and a money maker

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the life of me, I cannot understand why Group of 5 hasn’t established their own championship years ago. I’m sure it’s somehow a money thing but it could all be on campuses like FCS and I think it would be viable and a money maker
Because that takes away the illusion that they are competing with the big boys

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it isn’t football but I keep wondering what potentially happens to Stanford baseball. That program is a perennial power team. Can they get the players if they are independent? I’m not sure, I guess it would depend on who they can schedule. And they have to somehow work around all the conference play in the latter half of each season

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it isn’t football but I keep wondering what potentially happens to Stanford baseball. That program is a perennial power team. Can they get the players if they are independent? I’m not sure, I guess it would depend on who they can schedule. And they have to somehow work around all the conference play in the latter half of each season

They have a $37 billion endowment. They'll be alright. They can move Olympic Sports to the Big West or WCC. Big West is all of the UC and Cal State schools while WCC is all of the west coast religious schools.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have a $37 billion endowment. They'll be alright. They can move Olympic Sports to the Big West or WCC. Big West is all of the UC and Cal State schools while WCC is all of the west coast religious schools.
The endowment has no control over being able to schedule high quality opponents during the last half of the baseball season. If they cannot schedule quality teams I wonder if they will find less success in baseball recruiting.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

What does that mean just a lot of property?

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
John Canzano reporting ESPN offered to take the entire PAC inventory of games while negotiating in 2022. Reported amount would have been $30m per team. Presidents/Chancellors wanted more money…expected $50m per team
50 million without USC/UCLA? Unreal......

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Insane, and timing of the the discussions would have reportedly been after the announced departures of the LA schools - after the Big 10 media deal, but before the Big 12 one.

I wonder if Crow was one of those pushing for $50 million - or more. From Jon Wilner's reporting (building off of Canzano's work):

“Two or three schools were interested in that number,” Schulz said. “The discussions were that we really had to close the gap on the Big Ten. The commissioner went off with those numbers, which were unrealistic for sure.”

A source familiar with the negotiations told the Hotline this week that one president even believed the valuation “should be in the 50s” — meaning, more than $50 million per school. (The source declined to identify the president.)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
It would be terrible logic, but the only way I could logically draw that line is that if you pay 16 schools $50m for $800m then you should be able to pay $500m+ for the 10 schools - overall the package deal is less spend and it's not like your can broadcast every team, a lot will be at the same times, etc

This fills a night slot and Western markets so we shouldn't be at $300m total as that's a full $500m less than the Big 10

Problem is, those teams/markets are so much better and they grabbed the biggest western draws to a national audience as well at the largest Western markets

Nationally, most people really aren't following our care about the remaining Pac schools

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Big 12 commissioner says the conference is not looking to expand further.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some interesting speculation I saw online.

If Cal and Stanford bolt to the ACC it'll be interesting to see of the Big 12 develops interest in Oregon State and Wazzu as they will be the lone Pac schools with control of the Pac Networks. That production company has value and could open up new revenue streams to the Big 12 allowing them to produce and sell content or bring in a streaming company in the future. So the Big 12 could acquire the Pac Networks at the cost of admitting OSU and Wazzu.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score

If Cal and Stanford bolt to the ACC it'll be interesting to see of the Big 12 develops interest in Oregon State and Wazzu as they will be the lone Pac schools with control of the Pac Networks. That production company has value and could open up new revenue streams to the Big 12 allowing them to produce and sell content or bring in a streaming company in the future. So the Big 12 could acquire the Pac Networks at the cost of admitting OSU and Wazzu.

What is amazing to me is I'm seeing reports that they would be willing to move for zero TV money for a couple of years. Stanford, with all of their President Cups, is absolutely worthless in the eyes of TV executives. Crow better be paying attention.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Interesting.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
What is amazing to me is I'm seeing reports that they would be willing to move for zero TV money for a couple of years. Stanford, with all of their President Cups, is absolutely worthless in the eyes of TV executives. Crow better be paying attention.
If anyone could do it, it's Stanford. They have the richest alum base and largest endowment of any university in the country that participates in major college sports, and by a wide margin at that. They won't miss a year or two of TV money.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison