USC/UCLA leaving Pac12 for Big10?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't want the Pac 12 to dissolve, but maybe it was for the best.

Perhaps it will attract more fan interest.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the UofA fans who think they had to drag ASU with them to the Big 12. It seems pretty clear the AZ schools + Utah were intent on staying until the B1G stepped in.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
For the UofA fans who think they had to drag ASU with them to the Big 12. It seems pretty clear the AZ schools + Utah were intent on staying until the B1G stepped in.

Considering that Robbins was the most vocal about not wanting a full-streaming platform makes this questionable. Robbins was full of poo in his presser today about the Apple deal. Plus, Canzano is hitting below the Mendoza line on his projections with these reports. His sources are from Oregon St and Wazzu. What’s the commonality there?

But yea, Arizona was going to the Big-12 with or without anyone else

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad there wasn't a better alternative for ASU after Arizona left for the Big 12.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Considering that Robbins was the most vocal about not wanting a full-streaming platform makes this questionable. Robbins was full of poo in his presser today about the Apple deal. Plus, Canzano is hitting below the Mendoza line on his projections with these reports. His sources are from Oregon St and Wazzu. What’s the commonality there?

But yea, Arizona was going to the Big-12 with or without anyone else

Robbins played this perfectly and he’s capping like a pro.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Couple of questions here.

1. Who would cover the SDSU buyout? Would the Big 12 use some of that exit money from OK and Texas for SDSU?

2. 18 teams would eliminate the pod system for scheduling. You would need 9 team divisions. Assuming you would play everybody in your division one time, how many conference games is the Big 12 going to play? Is everyone doing away with out of conference games? Maybe Anderson was right when he said he was never going to Morgantown.

I'll also add I would be absolutely shocked if Stanford joins the Big 12.
1. No way the conference balls out SDSU…or at least I see no way that really happens.

2. Conferences are doing away with divisions but that may be more a function of the 4 team playoff. I gotta think they will limit conference games to nine at most

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This makes the most sense. The Big 12 is bringing in 4 new teams in 2023 and another 4 in 2024. I think they want to sit back and see how things develop. And it sounds like there could be movement in the ACC in a few years.

SDSU, Oregon State, and Wazzu aren't going anywhere.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Couple of questions here.

1. Who would cover the SDSU buyout? Would the Big 12 use some of that exit money from OK and Texas for SDSU?

2. 18 teams would eliminate the pod system for scheduling. You would need 9 team divisions. Assuming you would play everybody in your division one time, how many conference games is the Big 12 going to play? Is everyone doing away with out of conference games? Maybe Anderson was right when he said he was never going to Morgantown.

I'll also add I would be absolutely shocked if Stanford joins the Big 12.

1. I have no clue, and no one I've read has said anything. But I do think it comes from the numbers working. If they make ~5 mill a year now and will make 20ish after, and you figure you've got another what 8 seasons under the deal, then $160 million outweighs the cost. Can they do something else to help? Whatever the figures are, they can likely make it work if they have cash reserves or maybe the Big12 can float them a loan? Maybe even front some payments?

2. Scheduling just depends. some think 4x4 pods. If 18 you could do 3x6. How they rotate that is anyones guess, but as long as there is some sort of one. Also if SEC expands, the rumor is they're willing to do 9 conference games. So who knows. We're in a new era and everything is being written ad-hoc.

Apparently, Stanford turned down Big 12

Lots of stuff flying around. Cal is having an internal meeting tomorrow. What seems crazy talk of Stanford maybe going to ACC. SEC maybe trying to get FSU, etc.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So yeah, it also makes sense for Big 12 to slow it down a bit and see some other things shake out.

There are also potential lawsuits from all this. This is likely also why everyone was trying to put the blame on another team. Who exactly is to blame for Pac12, well if everyone knew concretely, it sure makes lawsuits easier.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

As expected, anyone thinking a lower conference will rise up and become a P5, likely isn't. Hasn't happened yet, but I don't see an alternative now.

Personally, I wonder if the money from the formerly 5th payout now gets distributed to the remaining 4.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Ray Anderson will be visiting Morgantown, West Virginia after all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might the Mountain West Conference become the Pac-12?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of fans also think the administration has never been assertive enough for ASU to be a great program.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunDevil Source Report Podcast on Arizona State's move to the Big 12.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crow just wants ASU to be Ivy League West. No emphasis on athletics.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Football has always been important financially for college sports.

Before television became so important, prior Pac 12, it's why the big name schools would come to ASU.

They would be assured of a big pay day because ASU fans would fill the stadium.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
ASU has become an elite research institute during his tenure. A really remarkable achievement.
Yep.

Academics should be the priority.

ASU is a long way away from being a "public ivy" and given the structure within AZ most likely will never get there

That's OK though

They've definitely increased their standing in many areas and have many fantastic programs and are respected locally with a good network

Crow's work on that front and on the development front have been really good - especially within a framework where they are public in a state that isn't really public friendly

He just doesn't seem to understand or accept the landscape shifts in athletics. A high level focus on ideals, even when those ideals paint a harsh reality

This could be mitigated with a stronger AD, but a lot of the marquee programs seem adrift