Vogel Fired

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He should’ve been the first one fired
Trying to find some positivity, I hope this means Jones is being removed from any personnel decisions and into something that's just more of a ceremonial PR role.

And then they follow that up by bringing in someone who is an actual quality personnel front office person who doesn't like, totally suck at it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's it? What other examples are there of his rigidness? Not saying you're wrong, but that one example isn't enough to completely disregard his candidacy.
His teams repeatedly failed to live up to expectations, continually losing to lower seeded teams… except for us of course. Otherwise, the Bucks and his Hawks teams were paper tigers.

But I’m fine with it. At least it’s something different and I bet we’re at least more fun to watch in the regular season, if nothing else.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
His teams repeatedly failed to live up to expectations, continually losing to lower seeded teams… except for us of course. Otherwise, the Bucks and his Hawks teams were paper tigers.

But I’m fine with it. At least it’s something different and I bet we’re at least more fun to watch in the regular season, if nothing else.
Every year he was with the Bucks he finished #1 in their division. We're not going to find a coach that has 6 championships and his teams always play up to their expectations, so Bud is as good as any others that are currently out there and available.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
LOL

A Phoenix Suns fan depending on "luck". Yeah, that will work out well.
Well I expect them to do maybe at least a minimal amount of due diligence :)rolleyes:) and maybe :)rolleyes:) an interview of the candidate. But yeah, “luck.” Lol.

No, you figure out how teams identified the great coaches like Phil Jackson or Pat Riley and try to do more than the basic interview. Be creative in hiring. Find someone brilliant who maybe doesn’t line up with the way prevalent coaching goes today. D’antoni was one such guy as well. He saw opportunity in running and playing space the court ball that others in his generation didn’t see. Find an innovator.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is who I wanted before they hired Igor. Evidently, Sarver and Mike Budenholzer completely clashed during the interview process or he would have been the Head Coach before (he was the #1 choice). Bud wasn't going to be dictated how to put things together and that didn't sit well with Sarver.

Bud isn't a perfect coach but he is about as good as you can get out there and if he picks a really strong staff he might be able to maximize these guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every year he was with the Bucks he finished #1 in their division. We're not going to find a coach that has 6 championships and his teams always play up to their expectations, so Bud is as good as any others that are currently out there and available.
Why would you write that 2nd sentence? No one said anything like that. You realize that second sentence the kind of hyperbolic crap that usually starts people sniping at each other?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is saying he also believe Bud doesn't take this job unless he knows he has Durant this season and next. So sounds like they are going to ride out this Durant thing to the end of his current contract.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo is saying he also believe Bud doesn't take this job unless he knows he has Durant this season and next. So sounds like they are going to ride out this Durant thing to the end of his current contract.

If Durant says he is here to stay then Bud can take him at his word. With a commitment like that I think Durant would be firmly devoted to make it work here until at least late October.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That's it? What other examples are there of his rigidness? Not saying you're wrong, but that one example isn't enough to completely disregard his candidacy.

I am a huge Bud fan, but he is well-known for refusing to make adjustments.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is who I wanted before they hired Igor. Evidently, Sarver and Mike Budenholzer completely clashed during the interview process or he would have been the Head Coach before (he was the #1 choice). Bud wasn't going to be dictated how to put things together and that didn't sit well with Sarver.

Bud isn't a perfect coach but he is about as good as you can get out there and if he picks a really strong staff he might be able to maximize these guys.
I think Bud’s a perfect coach for a young up and coming team (like that 2018 Suns squad), but just seems like a pretty lazy retread choice for a contender… Doc Rivers-esque.

But I don’t know that there’s any coach out there that can win a title with this roster, along with it’s limitations. So I’m just hoping he can bring in an offensive system that will at least make the team watchable while they squander the last couple remaining years of KD’s value and the beginning of Booker’s prime.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bud’s a perfect coach for a young up and coming team (like that 2018 Suns squad), but just seems like a pretty lazy retread choice for a contender… Doc Rivers-esque.

But I don’t know that there’s any coach out there that can win a title with this roster, along with it’s limitations. So I’m just hoping he can bring in an offensive system that will at least make the team watchable while they squander the last couple remaining years of KD’s value and the beginning of Booker’s prime.
I guess we will see. I was really excited about the potential of getting him last time. He definitely has shortcomings but I am much more excited about him than Vogel as our coach but depending on how he does that might not mean much.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo said as of NOW none of the assistant coaches have been fired. Sounds like they are going to leave it up to Bud to decide.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well in the first of what will probably be many this summer… I was wrong about Frank vogel. I certainly had some criticisms of his coaching. That said, I've haven't been terribly excited by the prospect of Mike B taking The helm.

Joe

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On top of the Central division in the eastern conference? Next year there will be 10 teams in the Western Conference significantly better than any of the other Central division teams in those stretches. I hope if they do hire Mike B that I'm wrong. I'm old and I can't remember the specifics but I do recall not thinking a whole lot of him even as they beat us for the championship. I think it was game two where I thought we were fortunate Milwaukee did not have a better coach.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why would you write that 2nd sentence? No one said anything like that. You realize that second sentence the kind of hyperbolic crap that usually starts people sniping at each other?
Settle down, no need to go on the attack,, it was simply an exaggeration to prove a point. Whether it was successful is a totally different story.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
It sounds like Bud is a lot like Monty, but luckier when they met in the finals. Both are good regular season coach but poor at adjustments that crucial postseason. In regular season, it's more about average performance. CP3 guarantees his team a lower level. But in POs, what works in regular season got special defensive attention that rattles the team. If the coach is stubborn, you get by with the lower bound as far as possible. Our finals' year, we were lucky with injuries to our foes, but were easily dismantled with a slightly more adjusting Bud.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:

Experienced:

Mike Budenholzer
Nate McMillan
Kenny Atkinson
Scott Brooks
Terry Stotts
Dave Joerger
Mark Jackson
James Borrego
Brett Brown
Luke Walton
Dwane Casey

New Blood:

Chris Quinn
JJ Redick
Becky Hammon
Sam Cassell
David Adelman

Try to pry from another team:
Tyronn Lue
Chauncey Billups
Willie Green
What about Bud as HC and one of the up a d comers, like Reddick on his staff?