The future of the Coyotes franchise...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just sold for $1.2 billion and giving folks an extra paycheck when being laid off. Robert Saver gave everyone $20k bonuses when the Suns sold and I don't believe anyone was laid off. I was neutral on that Meruelo guy before but now he's about equal to Sarver, IMO. He may not have been a dbag but he's greedy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just sold for $1.2 billion and giving folks an extra paycheck when being laid off. Robert Saver gave everyone $20k bonuses when the Suns sold and I don't believe anyone was laid off. I was neutral on that Meruelo guy before but now he's about equal to Sarver, IMO. He may not have been a dbag but he's greedy.
Also, this gives us all confidence going into this auction he actually is confident he will win, right? :shrug:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Meruelo fan, but there is no business to keep people employed. The Suns were still an ongoing concern.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a Meruelo fan, but there is no business to keep people employed. The Suns were still an ongoing concern.

I get that the layoffs are inevitable. It's the compensation. 1 extra paycheck shows a real lack of loyalty and care towards the staff as a whole. The Suns were sold and people kept their job but Sarver dipped into the billions he made off the sale and spread that around on his way out. Kind of weird how those who didn't get laid off saw more money from a change of ownership than those who lost their jobs.

I'd never heard of a bonuses when ownership changes before, in sports. So I give Sarver credit for that move, which was something he didn't need to do. Mereulo could do a little more than basically giving everyone 80 hours of pay, which is what an extra paycheck is. He did just get $1.2 billion haul. It takes 2 weeks to get on unemployment, which is all Merelo covered.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, this gives us all confidence going into this auction he actually is confident he will win, right? :shrug:

And would potentially get some folks to want to return when/if they come back. Which was supposed to be happen within 5 years. I believe he said he was hoping to get them back sooner. Seems sketchy.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AM also put his arrogant 24-year old son (Alex Jr) into the position of "Chief Brand Officer", whatever the hell that means and Jr. thought he knew more than actual hockey insiders.

Son did Shane Doan wrong. He told Doan he wasn't ready for a job in hockey ops and pushed him out the door.

Jr. is insecure and an asshat and and also pushed NHL PR guru Rich Nairn out the door because Jr. thought he knew more than him.

Jr. treated the working staff (kitchen staff, maintenance, etc) with contempt and micromanaged things and was a bully, intimidated, and drove fear and reports state that some of the common staff were left in tears commonly.

Jr. got rid of things and niceties like player swag for the families, reduced office equipment to a barren state, but spent a buckton of money (many hundreds of thousands of dollars) on that gawd-awful fashion designer who came up with the most terrible uniform in the history of sports.

If the team somehow gets resurrected (and I am 90% sure it won't), Jr. needs to be sh1tc@nned if this team has any chance of being anything but the most terrible run organization in sports.

Which is sad, because I love, love the team and for the past many decades I've watched almost every game. But I hate the position that arrogance and incompetence has put this (former) team in.

It really is amazing how long we were clinging to the edge of existence for so many years with bankruptcy and then the parade of broke owners only to find an actual billionaire who got the hockey side in order just screw the pooch at the most critical moment. I still find myself doing this every time I think about it:

You must be registered for see images attach

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He ain't the type to do whatever it takes...so no, I have zero confidence in him winning the auction.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This guy has no one around him that can seemingly do PR for him, get bills paid on time, etc. That shouldn't be that hard for a billionaire, right? I am guessing he's just a Billionaire on paper and has no real cash flow.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy has no one around him that can seemingly do PR for him, get bills paid on time, etc. That shouldn't be that hard for a billionaire, right? I am guessing he's just a Billionaire on paper and has no real cash flow.
His son ran anyone that was PR savvy out of town.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your wish is fulfilled, because with him in charge, we have no hockey! :bang:

I just mean going forward. To me it is better to wait 10 years to get a competent ownership group that isn't going to run the team like the Oakland A's of Hockey rather than get the Coyotes back under this owner in say 4 years.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just mean going forward. To me it is better to wait 10 years to get a competent ownership group that isn't going to run the team like the Oakland A's of Hockey rather than get the Coyotes back under this owner in say 4 years.

I knew what you meant, I'm just salty about the whole thing and took the opportunity to bash Merelosero on the head.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Is help that hard to find for a Billionaire? Just hire a guy who has done this same kind of project before. Who built the Arena the Yotes played in Glendale? It can't be THAT hard to find out. We Google stuff here ALL the time!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is help that hard to find for a Billionaire? Just hire a guy who has done this same kind of project before. Who built the Arena the Yotes played in Glendale? It can't be THAT hard to find out. We Google stuff here ALL the time!

Or just try and buy the arena in Glendale? I mean, winning solves a lot and if the franchise had some stability and was winning, people would attend the games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky