2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should take a look at both those signings again. They are both very smart and very shrewd decisions and give us a lot more flexibility as a 2nd apron team.

I understand the signings, but the strategy of overpaying mediocre players is a backward strategy of trying to circumvent the penalties of the new CBA.

The smart teams make intelligent decisions based upon the new environment, not jumping head first without looking.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand the signings, but the strategy of overpaying mediocre players is a backward strategy of trying to circumvent the penalties of the new CBA.

The smart teams make intelligent decisions based upon the new environment, not jumping head first without looking.

Again though, this has nothing to do with the Trent signing.

There are enough real concerns with the roster, I am not going to worry about sub par players, who would struggle to see the court here signing with other teams.

IMO, our biggest issue is center. I don't see Nurk or Plumlee being viable when it matters.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again though, this has nothing to do with the Trent signing.

There are enough real concerns with the roster, I am not going to worry about sub par players, who would struggle to see the court here signing with other teams.

IMO, our biggest issue is center. I don't see Nurk or Plumlee being viable when it matters.

Trent was a pie in the sky signing. He wasn't coming here, although I would have jumped and down if he had. Those players go to teams who provide opportunities.

I'm not sure which subpar players you are talking about.

I want 15 players on the Suns roster that could potentially play if there is an injury. I don't see 15 such players on the Suns roster.

IMO, Roddy, Little and perhaps Lee are three of those players. The money paid Okogie and O'Neale was a reach, but at least we know why.

I've been clamoring for more depth at point guard and center since the Finals season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns weren't getting Gary Trent, but the dye was cast two seasons ago. It's not just one player.

Actually, it started even before in the 2021 draft.

My frustration is with James Jones and the financial and player personnel decisions made and the assets given up in the Durant trade.

Now the Suns are overpaying Okogie and O'Neale trying to compensate for a series of bad decisions.
Why do you care how much they pay them? It doesn’t preclude us from doing anything. In fact, those contracts raise the organization’s flexibility of being able to make moves if we trade them. And it’s not $$$ coming outta your pocket.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care how much the Suns pay Okogie and O'Neale, however, it's backward management trying to compensate for the money and assets spent on Durant and Beal which left their hands tied. Some teams have better handled the new CBA and are not strapped for talent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report Shams Charania is considering entering free agency.

He would be a good get by the Suns. :doi:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nuggets will get stronger with the addition of Westbrook.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what Portland is doing. With consistency, they should be able to compete with anyone.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They still lost KCP, who was their primary wing defender and a knock down 3 point shooter.

I don't know how Russ will mesh with Jokic either. It will either be really good or really bad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They still lost KCP, who was their primary wing defender and a knock down 3 point shooter.

I don't know how Russ will mesh with Jokic either. It will either be really good or really bad.

What I wouldn't give for one more potential rotation player at center and/or point guard.

If Gillespie develops, FC might be the bigger need for depth. I need to see Collin play to get a better grasp of his upside.

KCP was a loss for Denver.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I wouldn't give for one more potential rotation player at center and/or point guard.

If Gillespie develops, FC might be the bigger need for depth. I need to see Collin play to get a better grasp of his upside.

KCP was a loss for Denver.

I remember seeing Gillipsee have a good game against us when he was in Denver. I think he has a good chance of panning out.

I want a big more than a guard. Precious would be a huge get.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing Gillipsee have a good game against us when he was in Denver. I think he has a good chance of panning out.

I want a big more than a guard. Precious would be a huge get.

Yes, we agree about Precious. It's not like the Suns couldn't clear a spot for him.

Boo Buie shows some potential at point guard as well, certainly as a scorer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

IMO, Westbrook's days as a difference maker are long gone. He's been a drag on each team he's played for since he left OKC, last year he was less damaging than the couple years before that but only because his usage rate went way down.

When Jokic has the ball and Westbrook is on the outside the double is going to be coming from Westbrook's man almost every time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Westbrook's days as a difference maker are long gone. He's been a drag on each team he's played for since he left OKC, last year he was less damaging than the couple years before that but only because his usage rate went way down.

When Jokic has the ball and Westbrook is on the outside the double is going to be coming from Westbrook's man almost every time.

I'm always looking for depth at positions of need. I guess the Nuggets are too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you can't promise minutes to a veteran player who expects a lot of minutes... don't sign the guy, they're just going to get mad and be a problem.

Westbrook would be rather low on our pecking order for playing time. I'd much rather have Morris out there, with his solid defense, shooting and low turnovers, than Westbrook out there jacking up horrible shots, screaming at the refs and ball watching on defense.

The Nuggets have actually been doing a bit of penny pinching, especially for a team that had just won a title. 2nd year in a row they've seen a key role player leave despite having the rights to resign.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't promise minutes to a veteran player who expects a lot of minutes... don't sign the guy, they're just going to get mad and be a problem.

Westbrook would be rather low on our pecking order for playing time. I'd much rather have Morris out there, with his solid defense, shooting and low turnovers, than Westbrook out there jacking up horrible shots, screaming at the refs and ball watching on defense.

The Nuggets have actually been doing a bit of penny pinching, especially for a team that had just won a title. 2nd year in a row they've seen a key role player leave despite having the rights to resign.

I believe one has to always have to plan for injury, 3 x 5.

If not Westbrook then someone else. One always has to be honest with players.

I'm more concerned about depth at center at the moment. Gillespie and Buie might surprise, but it's risky.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Russ wouldn't fit here. I get what you're after though. Not sure of a team he'd work well on but he's almost guaranteed to start 20 some odd games that Jamal Murray misses due to some injury. They need a combo guard and while Russ has that skill set, he's not a shooter so he won't fit well and same goes for here. Although Russ running a second unit would be interesting. I think that's the best role for him, although not here or Denver. Maybe Memphis where they can use an A and B team, letting Russ run things when Ja sits.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe one has to always have to plan for injury, 3 x 5.

If not Westbrook then someone else. One always has to be honest with players.

I'm more concerned about depth at center at the moment. Gillespie and Buie might surprise, but it's risky.

That might work in a video game, but not in real life. If a player signs with a team, especially if they signed at what they perceive as below market value because they expect to be rewarded with a big role... and they end up stuck on the bench, then you made a big mistake. These dudes have real ambition, real egos and real careers at stake.

Eric Gordon was arguably one of the Suns top 6 players last year... IMO, they'd have been better off without him entirely, he complained about his role and was basically invisible in 2 out of 3 games and really only seemed to give a crap about his own shot opportunities.

Not only do I think Westbrook is washed, but I think Westbrook would haaaaaaaaaate it here if he was playing behind Booker, Beal, Morris and Allen in the guard rotation.

As an aside, not even in relation to depth... IMO, at this point, Westbrook sucks, I'm glad a Western team above us in the pecking order signed him, he will probably make them worse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet Bronnie starts the year in the G-League and sees his first NBA minutes with his dad in the Christmas day game.

I'm calling it now at some point LeBron and Bronny will set the record for most points scored in NBA history by a father/son combo.

All it takes is 1 point by Bronny!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you have scouts, this is what happens.

He's been good but it's SL, really hard to tell how good someone is in SL.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might work in a video game, but not in real life. If a player signs with a team, especially if they signed at what they perceive as below market value because they expect to be rewarded with a big role... and they end up stuck on the bench, then you made a big mistake. These dudes have real ambition, real egos and real careers at stake.

Eric Gordon was arguably one of the Suns top 6 players last year... IMO, they'd have been better off without him entirely, he complained about his role and was basically invisible in 2 out of 3 games and really only seemed to give a crap about his own shot opportunities.

Not only do I think Westbrook is washed, but I think Westbrook would haaaaaaaaaate it here if he was playing behind Booker, Beal, Morris and Allen in the guard rotation.

As an aside, not even in relation to depth... IMO, at this point, Westbrook sucks, I'm glad a Western team above us in the pecking order signed him, he will probably make them worse.

I'm not locked on Westbrook. What I am locked onto is depth. Of course, players have to accept their roles.

Tyus Jones is unlikely to come here, but if I were the Suns front office I would have pursued the possibility.

The same with another backup center.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Westbrook really doesn't fit anywhere. He can't shoot and has lost his bread and butter which was his athleticism. Denver losing guys after the new CBA and seem desperate here.