Film Study: Kyler Murray was GOOD for the Arizona Cardinals Vs the Buffalo Bill

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I posted about this in the Rams thread. I think it's shallow.

It's 'Oh Kyler made a nice pass in a small window" while ignoring he missed an open guy or something.

Brit, we get it man. You are not going to back Kyler until he's playing at a high level and were winning games.

In other words, if he leaves any yards or points whatsoever on the field in a loss, you're holding him responsible for the loss.

We've got it. You don't have to soil every thread with your negative Kyler ranting.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit, we get it man. You are not going to back Kyler until he's playing at a high level and were winning games.

In other words, if he leaves any yards or points whatsoever on the field in a loss, you're holding him responsible for the loss.

We've got it. You don't have to soil every thread with your negative Kyler ranting.

No. I just want him in year 6 to do normal QB things. I want him to read defenses and decide his reads appropriately. I want to see that he understands where his receiving options are going. I want him to throw with anticipation.

I could do without all the scrambling and play extending because we wouldn't need them if he could do that.

I just don't see any evidence of pre snap thought. The James Conner miss I pointed out is a good example. That super basic stuff.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I'll accept him playing at a high level. The defense won't let us win a ton of games. He didn't play at a high level in game 1. Let's see how he does the rest of this season.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No. I just want him in year 6 to do normal QB things. I want him to read defenses and decide his reads appropriately. I want to see that he understands where his receiving options are going. I want him to throw with anticipation.

I could do without all the scrambling and play extending because we wouldn't need them if he could do that.

I just don't see any evidence of pre snap thought. The James Conner miss I pointed out is a good example. That super basic stuff.

Brit, when you're not grinding an axe, you post some really good stuff. Seriously, I like reading most of what you write. 100%.

But sometimes you very clearly have an agenda, and it's gets pretty tedious pretty quickly. :)

Just trying to help you out a little, and hope you are otherwise doing well and representing the Cardinals there in the U.K! Did I tell we went to England last summer? The English and the literally the nicest people in the world! It was amazing!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Brit, when you're not grinding an axe, you post some really good stuff. Seriously, I like reading most of what you write. 100%.

But sometimes you very clearly have an agenda, and it's gets pretty tedious pretty quickly. :)

Just trying to help you out a little, and hope you are otherwise doing well and representing the Cardinals there in the U.K! Did I tell we went to England last summer? The English and the literally the nicest people in the world! It was amazing!
As someone completely neutral on kyler, Brit is consistent in his criticism of kyler as you are in his defense. If someone is going to create a kyler thread (good or bad) the reader should expect to see both those critical and those supportive.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As someone completely neutral on kyler, Brit is consistent in his criticism of kyler as you are in his defense. If someone is going to create a kyler thread (good or bad) the reader should expect to see both those critical and those supportive.
I just find it hilarious he’s cool with anyone critiquing Kyler, but when it comes to critiquing any other part of the franchise, players, coaching, owners, fans, etc, he has a problem with it. Hilarious.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just find it hilarious he’s cool with anyone critiquing Kyler, but when it comes to critiquing any other part of the franchise, players, coaching, owners, fans, etc, he has a problem with it. Hilarious.
Agreed. But we all have our individual quirks. They tend to get magnified online.

JohnnyCakes

Alpha Male
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why the offense seems to be taking the blame for the loss in Buffalo.

The defense sucked ass and couldnt hold a lead all game. Point the finger there. I see alot more Petzig bashing where there should be Ralis bashing.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no idea why the offense seems to be taking the blame for the loss in Buffalo.

The defense sucked ass and couldnt hold a lead all game. Point the finger there. I see alot more Petzig bashing where there should be Ralis bashing.
I agree the defense does deserve more blame - however we came into the season knowing our offense has to win us games not the defense.

I feel the offensive performance was not good enough.

If the D had played even a little better, or the Offense had played up to expectations we could have won.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm really not. I would absolutely love nothing more than for Kyler to be awesome and do all these things that he needs to do. Really.

I'm generally one of the more positive people on the board I think, so why would I have an axe to grind with the most important player on the team?

For me, one of the most important aspects of QB play is the presnap stuff. The QB's that make the game look easy and win superbowls don't do so because they can throw it 60 yards, or 65mph, or can run and scramble out of tough situations. The greats, both current and past, are great because more often or not they make the right decisions pre snap to get the most out of the play.

That's what I'm always looking for from Kyler, especially in Game 1 when he's been hyped up all season, so I was disappointed it's still not there.

It's just not, I can't help that, and until it is we won't win anything. You just can't beat good teams without it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't have a problem with it, it's just often I think people are wrong, or at least over the top or lacking balance. They aren't wrong about Kyler. We've had 5 years and the same issues are still there (so far).

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

No Petz needs bashing.. zero second half adjustments and several head scratching plays called

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree the defense does deserve more blame - however we came into the season knowing our offense has to win us games not the defense.

I feel the offensive performance was not good enough.

If the D had played even a little better, or the Offense had played up to expectations we could have won.

If you wan't to boil it all down to a single moment the game was lost of the Kyler strip sack.

It was 17 - 17 at that point early in Q3. Instead of recognising JC was going to be wide open on a simple slant on the left, or throwing with anticipation to Marv on the curl (both of which were not difficult options) Kyler holds the ball and gets stripped which gives them a 20 yards field and an easy TD to go up.

If Kyler recognises that JC is going to be an easy target on that play we have at least a 30-40 yard gain if not more (depending who the coverage player is that sees it late). We score at least a FG.

That was at least a 10 point swing in a game we lost by 6.

And this is why I'm on Kyler's back. For all the scrambling, avoiding pressure and flash plays, the crunch moment of the game came down to him not thinking, and thinking is the most important part of playing QB.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Why not both? I'd say defensive bashing rather than Rallis bashing, because he has nothing to work with. The defense was awful, and that's to be expected. AND the offense was inexcusably awful in the 2nd half, from Petzing's idiotic play calling (run-run-pass punt and running at the end of the game) to Kyler's total regression (he looked like he did in the playoff game in the 2nd half). More than enough blame to go around.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you wan't to boil it all down to a single moment the game was lost of the Kyler strip sack.

It was 17 - 17 at that point early in Q3. Instead of recognising JC was going to be wide open on a simple slant on the left, or throwing with anticipation to Marv on the curl (both of which were not difficult options) Kyler holds the ball and gets stripped which gives them a 20 yards field and an easy TD to go up.

If Kyler recognises that JC is going to be an easy target on that play we have at least a 30-40 yard gain if not more (depending who the coverage player is that sees it late). We score at least a FG.

That was at least a 10 point swing in a game we lost by 6.

And this is why I'm on Kyler's back. For all the scrambling, avoiding pressure and flash plays, the crunch moment of the game came down to him not thinking, and thinking is the most important part of playing QB.
Actually I would argue it was the penalty on Zaven that turned the game. If we get that stop the momentum never would have started for them.

JohnnyCakes

Alpha Male
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not both? I'd say defensive bashing rather than Rallis bashing, because he has nothing to work with. The defense was awful, and that's to be expected. AND the offense was inexcusably awful in the 2nd half, from Petzing's idiotic play calling (run-run-pass punt and running at the end of the game) to Kyler's total regression (he looked like he did in the playoff game in the 2nd half). More than enough blame to go around.
fair enough, agreed on all points.

I guess my point was that all the blame was going squarely on the offense and i felt the defense needed to be included in that blame. Regardless of our expectations to start the season

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Did he go over to the dark side and not tell anyone?:p