Film Study: Kyler Murray was GOOD for the Arizona Cardinals Vs the Buffalo Bill

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am wondering if despite all the plaudits the coaching staff has heaped upon Murray in the pre-season, do they feel they need to manage his limitations and that is why the play calling is what it is? Is there a belief among the staff that Murray needs to managed during a game? Do they only trust Murray with certain aspects of the QB position and that is why the offense is where it's at?

It seems inexplicable that the offense is grinding it's way through a game with the weapons available to it. Or is it Bidwill saying you need to figure out how to use Murray due to the money I'm paying him and it's a contract he's not willing to eat.

Something just seems off here.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I am wondering if despite all the plaudits the coaching staff has heaped upon Murray in the pre-season, do they feel they need to manage his limitations and that is why the play calling is what it is? Is there a belief among the staff that Murray needs to managed during a game? Do they only trust Murray with certain aspects of the QB position and that is why the offense is where it's at?

It seems inexplicable that the offense is grinding it's way through a game with the weapons available to it. Or is it Bidwill saying you need to figure out how to use Murray due to the money I'm paying him and it's a contract he's not willing to eat.

Something just seems off here.
The offense is about ball control and play action shots. IMO, the short throws were effectively long hand offs trying to achieve death by a thousand cuts. That or they thought the wind was too much to risk a long pass.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
The offense is about ball control and play action shots. IMO, the short throws were effectively long hand offs trying to achieve death by a thousand cuts. That or they thought the wind was too much to risk a long pass.

One way you protect a bad defense on the road is by shortening the game, so I get the grinding-type game plan.

The Cardinals just about pulled it off too, but ultimately the defense was having none of it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll accept him playing at a high level. The defense won't let us win a ton of games. He didn't play at a high level in game 1. Let's see how he does the rest of this season.
A solid B or B-? Like, we win most games he plays like this if we had an average defense?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
One way you protect a bad defense on the road is by shortening the game, so I get the grinding-type game plan.

The Cardinals just about pulled it off too, but ultimately the defense was having none of it.
The problem is that Petzing stupidly tried to stick to that game plan in the 2nd half when it clearly wasn't working. Inability to adjust crushed the offense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is that Petzing stupidly tried to stick to that game plan in the 2nd half when it clearly wasn't working. Inability to adjust crushed the offense.

Yup, there was a point when it became clear the Bills had is number and he didn't switch it up.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Zero adjustments

Why?

Thought these were innovative coaches
Reality is Petzing is learning how to call plays. Just his 2nd year (18 games and just 9 with Kyler) he's ever done it.

Time will tell if maybe bringing another experienced offensive mind to help would have been wise.

Drew Terrell is the pass game coordinator and he seems to always escape blame as well. A WR coach who cant get Wrs the ball.

His experience is from the outdated Ron Riveria teams.

Last edited:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

And then we still had a chance to win at the end of the game, but couldn't make it happen. lol..

Gee whiz that was a super frustrating game. Losing the big lead. Watching the defense step on their johnsons for 59 minutes out of 60. Offense being non-clutch at the end. Zerbras getting after us a little.

Feels like we let one get away from us there Chief.

Last edited:

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
this will be a factor all season long-- the very intentionally play ball control

one thing that popped out for me watching the all-22 video on all of MHJ routes in the MHJ thread: Cardinal WRs didnt get open all that often. Its concerning

Stout

Reaction score
And then we still had a chance to win at the end of the game, but couldn't make it happen. lol..

Gee whiz that was super frustrating game. Losing the big lead. Watching the defense step on their johnsons for 59 minutes out of 60. Offense being non-clutch at the end. Zerbras getting after us a little.

Feel like we let one get away from us there Chief.
We certainly did. This is why it's awesome to defer, IMO. I'm old school that way, setting up the double dip. With as horrendous as our D is, the double dip crushed us. Nothing our offense could do about that. Then the Petzing scaredy cat run-run-pass-punt reaction was a killer. But then, I also have to wonder how many of those were the play call or Kyler adjusting and changing it to a run. No way to know, obviously. As I've said before, plenty of blame to go around. Let's just say no one but Deejay Dallas covered themselves in glory in the 2nd half.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We certainly did. This is why it's awesome to defer, IMO. I'm old school that way, setting up the double dip. With as horrendous as our D is, the double dip crushed us. Nothing our offense could do about that. Then the Petzing scaredy cat run-run-pass-punt reaction was a killer.

That happened only once on the first drive of the 3rd quarter and it was the first time the Bills stopped the Cardinals.

It was followed up by the following second half drives

* Pass, Sack/Fumble.
* 9 play 58 yard drive for FG
* Kick Return for TD
* Pass, Pass, Sack, Punt
* Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass(Loss of downs)

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's year 6 for Murray. I think his entire repertoire was on display Sunday. A few plays that were "WTF?!!!!" good and others that were "WTF?!!!!" as in WTF are you doing.

Throw out the time missed with injury and KM has been maddeningly consistent in his inconsistencies and bad habits. Still doesn't seem to have "football smarts" in reading defenses IMO. Kyler didn't lose the game, don't get me wrong, but he missed several opportunities to win it and failed. I also don't blame the officiating, it was bad BOTH ways and cost BOTH teams scoring chances.

In fairness to Kyler, the defense is not going to be much help this season I don't think. I was hoping for 6-10 but that seems very optimistic now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's year 6 for Murray. I think his entire repertoire was on display Sunday. A few plays that were "WTF?!!!!" good and others that were "WTF?!!!!" as in WTF are you doing.

Throw out the time missed with injury and KM has been maddeningly consistent in his inconsistencies and bad habits. Still doesn't seem to have "football smarts" in reading defenses IMO. Kyler didn't lose the game, don't get me wrong, but he missed several opportunities to win it and failed. I also don't blame the officiating, it was bad BOTH ways and cost BOTH teams scoring chances.

In fairness to Kyler, the defense is not going to be much help this season I don't think. I was hoping for 6-10 but that seems very optimistic now.

I agree, but if you were hoping for 6-10 how does a 28-34 road defeat to the Bills lessen you hopes?

6-10 teams get beat by 14 at the Bills.

Stout

Reaction score
That happened only once on the first drive of the 3rd quarter and it was the first time the Bills stopped the Cardinals.

It was followed up by the following second half drives

* Pass, Sack/Fumble.
* 9 play 58 yard drive for FG
* Kick Return for TD
* Pass, Pass, Sack, Punt
* Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass(Loss of downs)
Right, I said it was a reaction. I most certainly DID NOT say it was the entire 2nd half, so your post was pointless, arguing with air.

That first drive of the 3rd quarter needed specifically to NOT be the kind of limp, conservative crap Petzing called. The Bills were clearly going to be expecting a conservative run approach and Petzing needed to pivot there. I knew before the drive started that to call run-run-pass would be a massive failure. I hate when I'm right like that. It was blindingly obvious to the world--but not to our OC.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree, but if you were hoping for 6-10 how does a 28-34 road defeat to the Bills lessen you hopes?

6-10 teams get beat by 14 at the Bills.
The second half was a debacle. The offense scored 3 pts. after halftime I believe. They caught the Bills kind of off balance and when they adjusted it was over.

Anyway, if they win 6 games I would be very surprised. We haven't even hit the injury bug that will inevitably happen.

But, if you hope for more or believe in them being better than I do, good on ya!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The second half was a debacle. The offense scored 3 pts. after halftime I believe. They caught the Bills kind of off balance and when they adjusted it was over.

Anyway, if they win 6 games I would be very surprised. We haven't even hit the injury bug that will inevitably happen.

But, if you hope for more or believe in them being better than I do, good on ya!
Haven't we? Already lost a starting Edge a starting DL, and a starting RT...that's not being hit early with the injury bug?
Not to mention mad max in the protocol and kyler with a sore knee already....

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Haven't we? Already lost a starting Edge a starting DL, and a starting RT...that's not being hit early with the injury bug?
Not to mention mad max in the protocol and kyler with a sore knee already....
OK

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If we don't give up a fumble on the 20, which doesn't happen every week...so on and so forth.
That occurs with much greater frequency than us scoring a kickoff return. Turnovers within the 20 aren’t a wild outlier. Kickoff returns for TDs are.