10 thoughts - Bills game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Considering how well Jesse Luketa and Darren Hall played in the preseason, and how not-well Victor Dimukeje and Kei’Trel Clark played, it was a surprise that the two latter were not the inactive players.

2 – The Murray-to-Harrison connection needs “a little” finetuning.

3 – The defense is embarrassing. Really. Couldn’t stop a blind old lady.

4 – I really like Evan Brown at LG. Granted, you, me, and pretty much anyone else would be an upgrade from last season, but Brown had several key blocks. Looks like a great pickup by Ossenfort.

5 – The final drive, that could have won the game, included a big drop by Michael Wilson, Murray that didn’t see a wide-open Harrison, and bad clock management. That is unacceptable. You got to do better than that. You got to take your chances.

6 – Big game by Mack Wilson. Defensive MVP.

7 – Our Father in heaven, please don’t let Jonah Williams be badly injured. Did you see Kelvin Beachum? Please, Father.

8 – The first half offense was highly entertaining. Those slow, methodical, efficient offenses that push opponents and their fans to the brink of suicide. None of that fast paced, quick scoring nonsense, thank you.

9 – Several crucial bad calls by Petzing. That worries me much more than a defeat.

10 – Roy Lopez was their best defensive lineman again. Great offseason, and now respectable premier.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
1 – Considering how well Jesse Luketa and Darren Hall played in the preseason, and how not-well Victor Dimukeje and Kei’Trel Clark played, it was a surprise that the two latter were not the inactive players.

2 – The Murray-to-Harrison connection needs “a little” finetuning.

3 – The defense is embarrassing. Really. Couldn’t stop a blind old lady.

4 – I really like Evan Brown at LG. Granted, you, me, and pretty much anyone else would be an upgrade from last season, but Brown had several key blocks. Looks like a great pickup by Ossenfort.

5 – The final drive, that could have won the game, included a big drop by Michael Wilson, Murray that didn’t see a wide-open Harrison, and bad clock management. That is unacceptable. You got to do better than that. You got to take your chances.

6 – Big game by Mack Wilson. Defensive MVP.

7 – Our Father in heaven, please don’t let Jonah Williams be badly injured. Did you see Kelvin Beachum? Please, Father.

8 – The first half offense was highly entertaining. Those slow, methodical, efficient offenses that push opponents and their fans to the brink of suicide. None of that fast paced, quick scoring nonsense, thank you.

9 – Several crucial bad calls by Petzing. That worries me much more than a defeat.

10 – Roy Lopez was their best defensive lineman again. Great offseason, and now respectable premier.
AMEN

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1 Clark made some of the best tackles by the secondary in the preseason and made a great one in this game. I thought Hall’s coverage was about on the same level as Clark. My real question is how is Thomas starting. I’d start Williams on the outside and have Taylor-Demerson cover the slot. The current lineup needs a ballhawk. They seem to be in love with Williams in the slot, but I think he’s capable of more.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
#2 - Gee I don’t know maybe a few routes in pre season would have helped
#3- Lt Dan could have gained 100 yesterday. Embarrassing
#8- first half very nice and quite surprising. Second half had zero answers.
#9- very odd calls. Let’s run a stretch play with our slowest RB. Never mind Benson never saw the field again after a few plays in first half. And don’t get me started on the utter stupidity of not force feeding the ball to MHJ at times. Let him make a play

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#8 This one bugs me. First half was great. But you knew the bills were going to adjust. We should have come out on our first second half drive throwing.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 Clark made some of the best tackles by the secondary in the preseason and made a great one in this game. I thought Hall’s coverage was about on the same level as Clark. My real question is how is Thomas starting. I’d start Williams on the outside and have Taylor-Demerson cover the slot. The current lineup needs a ballhawk. They seem to be in love with Williams in the slot, but I think he’s capable of more.
Clark did not have as good a preseason as Hall, but I agree with you overall point, Harry. By the way, Clark made a superb tackle in the first quarter where he singlehandedly brought down Josh Allen, who otherwise would have scored.

Anyway, one of the big mysteries is that Ossenfort have only drafted cornerbacks under 6-0, while Gannon historically have used only outside cornerbacks above 6-0. That trend goes all the way back to his days as a cornerback coach with the Colts. I hope that is not why he sees Garrett Williams as a better fit at slot cornerback, because I agree with you that I would try him on the outside. I think that he might be their best CB.

Another worrying thing is that Max Melton only played 18% of the defensive snaps in an obviously struggling unit. Sure, you should have patience with rookies but look around the league. Many rookies play well right out of the gate, and rookies are much, much more important now than in the past. I expected that Melton would be #2, opposite Murphy-Bunting.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#8 This one bugs me. First half was great. But you knew the bills were going to adjust. We should have come out on our first second half drive throwing.
That I am not sure about, Slanidrac. That kind of offense worked fine all through the first half, and the Bills had major momentum after scoring in the drives right before half time and right after half time (that is, by the way, a very undervalued thing to have the last drive before halftime). Also, at that point the score was still only 17-17. I understand that you would want to take the wind out of Buffalo by continuing to physically dominate them. However, I thought that at least two drives stalled because of bad play call, and certainly the last one was horrendous.

Mistakes like that is what makes judgement calls decide the game. It should have never gotten to that.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I guess that Oaken's and my prayer worked kind of halfway.

It will probably be Beachum again. It scares me a lot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get only playing Lopez at nose in 3-4 base when Jones and Nicholas weren't playing well.

Lopez should have had another 15 snaps at DT.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get only playing Lopez at nose in 3-4 base when Jones and Nicholas weren't playing well.

Lopez should have had another 15 snaps at DT.
I agree, Britcard. In all fairness, Nichols and Jones didn't play in the preseason, so we only have one game to judge by, but at least they are not supposed to do anything that Lopez cannot do as well. I am high on Lopez.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree, Britcard. In all fairness, Nichols and Jones didn't play in the preseason, so we only have one game to judge by, but at least they are not supposed to do anything that Lopez cannot do as well. I am high on Lopez.

Lopez had a nice sack early. He should have been in more off that. When they were running it on us Lopez should have been in at DT for Nichols more.

I'd say same for Kei'Trel Clarke. He only had 4 snaps, but he made some nice tackles including a TFL on those 4, while Starling Thomas was playing poorly. Makes little sense.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd say same for Kei'Trel Clarke. He only had 4 snaps, but he made some nice tackles including a TFL on those 4, while Starling Thomas was playing poorly. Makes little sense.
Yeah, that is another mystery. I mentioned it a little earlier in this thread, how Clark made a great open field tackle of Josh Allen, and you would think that kind of play would get you on the field. That said, I also mentioned earlier how Gannon very rarely use outside cornerbacks under 6'0 (and seemingly never with his good will), and I guess he preferred to give Melton snaps over Clark inside.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is another mystery. I mentioned it a little earlier in this thread, how Clark made a great open field tackle of Josh Allen, and you would think that kind of play would get you on the field. That said, I also mentioned earlier how Gannon very rarely use outside cornerbacks under 6'0 (and seemingly never with his good will), and I guess he preferred to give Melton snaps over Clark inside.
Clark was also in position to make a tackle on that WR screen to Shakir that went for a TD. However Clark was blatantly blocked in the back by Hollins which sprung Shakir. How that wasn't called by the Ref is beyond me.

You must be registered for see images attach

And from another view:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky