10 thoughts - Lions game

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The hype for McBride is from last seasons numbers. So far he ain’t living up to it. Please continue to bring our franchise QB into every discussion though it proves my point of relevance.
McBride's numbers from last year were because he was wide receiver #1, I'd expect his target share to drop with MHJ. He's currently a top 5 receiving TE in terms of usage/production and was very important in the first two games. I'm not sure what the complaint is? Did you overdraft him Fantasy or something? Don't worry, he will have his spike weeks.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to give this combo the benefit of doubt but I haven’t been impressed. Game 1, MHJ was targeted 3 times and came an away with 1 catch. Game 2 was targeted 8 with 4 completions and game 3, 11 targets for 5 completions. 45% completion rate isn’t cutting it. Go back to Dorch, McBride, and Wilson.
How many of the incompletions are on back shoulder throws?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hype for McBride is from last seasons numbers. So far he ain’t living up to it. Please continue to bring our franchise QB into every discussion though it proves my point of relevance.
And this season’s numbers are still pretty much in line with last season’s numbers, even though he’s not the #1 option for Kyler this season now that we have Marv. You’ve just decided that points are now more important than yards or receptions and I find that hypocritical to put that on the TE when you use yards to celebrate Kyler’s offensive output.

On a similar topic of relevance, you know, there is the possible that our hyped TE isn’t putting up the numbers you want him to because his QB isn’t seeing the entire field and getting him the ball. It takes two to Tango there 602 and Kyler could be partly to blame for his TE’s lack of production.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KM and MHJ will figure it out. Right now it’s more on the rookie to read those back shoulder throws etc… also needs to make those contested catches, several completions left on the field as well as a couple of possible TDs
The ding in college for MHJ was contested catches. We are seeing such at the NFL level unfortunately.

Will this be an Achilles heel thing, maybe?

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
How many of the incompletions are on back shoulder throws?
I’m not sure but let’s I’ll try to back into it going strictly by a weak memory. One of the missed completions was a straight out drop. I believe two incompletions were good defensive play. Another incompletion had the defender block the ball but MHJ tried to catch with his body instead of going out to catch the ball. So that leaves 2 back shoulder passes. Am I close?

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure but let’s I’ll try to back into it going strictly by a weak memory. One of the missed completions was a straight out drop. I believe two incompletions were good defensive play. Another incompletion had the defender block the ball but MHJ tried to catch with his body instead of going out to catch the ball. So that leaves 2 back shoulder passes. Am I close?
Here's the incompletions:

1) 2nd Quarter: Kyler was getting hit on the throw and the ball made it like a yard

2) 2nd Quarter: (Maybe this was the one you said was a straight out drop?) Skinny post (well covered) probably had a chance for a catch - definitely wouldn't consider it a straight out drop.

3) 3rd Quarter: The INT in the end zone in double coverage

4) 4th Quarter: Kyler sails a ball on a ~15 yard out route

5) 4th Quarter: Missed back shoulder fade. Ball looked good. Not on the same page? MHJ didn't really turn around

6) 4th Quarter: Go route. Well covered. Had a chance at a 1 handed catch.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Thanks for the shout out, my 14 month old son Pacific loves to watch the cardinals and goes nuts in baby shouts whenever announcers yell touchdown!

No we didn’t run in most the 2nd half, yes cards struggled in the first 1/2, but abandoned any resemblance of balance. OC said he was ultra aware and the game determines that - bull hockey, hocker and crapper.

Sir with due respect you are wrong! And I’m sad to see you defend such a game plan! Coaches and players come and go, but cards fans have seen a 9 rush Super Bowl, after the run game opened up the pass game after a miserable middle 0f the 2008 season. Also the saints blew cards out also in 2009 playoffs on a 9 rush game plan!

Cards was not blown out, depicting a need to go to the 2 minute drill early in the 3rd 1/4- OC panicked when JC runs were needed most. That’s how you lose a team chip dip! So what if he keeps 1.9 yard average, you bust them in the chops, don’t call 18 passes to end the game. Especially with a pass game that did not participate in preseason and are starting to come together.

You all know how I feel, addicted to the pass, allergic to the run, rarely works out in the NFL. But to defend it like this read, shows an immaturity, a slap in the face to the football gods. Change your tune or lose, young general.