10 thoughts - Saints game

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
He played the first two series at LT. Then moved to RT at 6:30 first quarter and played there until late 2nd.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember if there was a reason we took Adams instead of Cooper Beebe; Beebe looked amazing in his preseason game. I know Adams has time to improve, but in the back of my mind I worry our scouting team takes way too much stock in the senior bowl.
Not writing Adams off. It's still early. Someone to watch.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he had six targets and one catch, SL. I know that all of them would have been impressive catches, but I mean, that is what you need to make in the NFL.

Okay, there was a bad PI call in there, but that is still four missed catches.
It wouldn't have been as big of deal if he was higher on the depth chart, but he needs to really make some plays these next two weeks.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember if there was a reason we took Adams instead of Cooper Beebe; Beebe looked amazing in his preseason game. I know Adams has time to improve, but in the back of my mind I worry our scouting team takes way too much stock in the senior bowl.

No reason for that… he is a talent, But the step from Illinois to NFL is a Big one.

FYI. Beebe has looked terrible in camp
Well, which is it? Is he amazing, or is he terrible? :shrug:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Reiman reaction is because a lot of people, including posters here, weirdly think he's going to be a major threat in the passing game. He's a blocking TE pure and simple, and anything else from him will be gravy.
Some claimed he has good hands too. With 41 catches in 4 years, I am not sure we know what he is there, but I agree with you 100% that anything there on that side is gravy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think the Reiman reaction is because a lot of people, including posters here, weirdly think he's going to be a major threat in the passing game. He's a blocking TE pure and simple, and anything else from him will be gravy.
Agree. I will be pretty impressed if he gets 15 catches on the season...he's that guy you throw to on 4th and 3 in week 14 who only had 6 targets all season so the D is ignoring him.
He can be a threat. But we got threats...so he blocks...until one of the other guys goes down or we are fooling the D...

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There was concern about Beebe's agility in our system. He looked good though.

Ironically I came away from that Rams game thinking the Rams got another WR steal. Meanwhile Palmer might not even make the team/practice squad.

At least Weaver looks like he could be a decent backup to Dortch for special teams.
Us taking Palmer over Whittington does make me feel bad. Whittington was a difference maker on a very good Texas team, his main knock was injury concerns and top end speed but his route running, hands and YAC are great. I didn't realize he was still available in the 6th. I guess our scouts like Palmer's physical profile more, maybe they think he has more potential to develop.

The Rams have the best scouts in the league, I don't think its debatable.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Us taking Palmer over Whittington does make me feel bad. Whittington was a difference maker on a very good Texas team, his main knock was injury concerns and top end speed but his route running, hands and YAC are great. I didn't realize he was still available in the 6th. I guess our scouts like Palmer's physical profile more, maybe they think he has more potential to develop.

Do the Rams have the same scouting staff this year as last? Seems a lot of NFL teams have big annual turnover in their scouting departments.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Well, which is it? Is he amazing, or is he terrible? :shrug:
Could be both. Heard Two national media podcast talking about How bad he looked in Camp.

But he Could have looked Good against 3rd stringers in a game still

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh I don’t think the cardinals view him as such. At least not long term. I think they may have that as a limited role in the short term, but you don’t spend a 3rd round pick on a guy you expect to never move past blocking TE.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Eh I don’t think the cardinals view him as such. At least not long term. I think they may have that as a limited role in the short term, but you don’t spend a 3rd round pick on a guy you expect to never move past blocking TE.
Completely agree. Reiman is the perfect fit for this team as a blocking TE, because we use 12 and 13 personal more than any other team in the league (Raiders might push us down to 2nd, but still).

BUT he was drafted that high due to his athletic upside. He tested in the 2% percentile of any TE in the last 14 years, so no doubt that the coaching staff think he can evolve into the complimental receiver to McBride out of 12 and 13 - otherwise he would never had been drafted this high.

The question is what is expected at this moment. Given TE is one of the harderst positions to transition to in the NFL, how long it took McBride to understand the blocking scheme, I think the pure focus at this moment is to get Reiman etablished in the blocking role. He is not a Pitts or Laporta that goes on the field as a pure receiver, meaning Reiman will not sniff the field unless he understand his blocking assignments. That is the focus now IMO. BUT that doens't mean that he could not delvelop into a very important piece of the passing game in the future.

I will be surprised if Reiman has more that the occational catch in the first half of the season - just to show defenses that he is in fact also a receiving threat. But I do expect him to become more and more involved in the second half of the season as the game slows down for him.

I expect max 25 receptions this season, but long term it could be in the 45 range with 550 yards per season. That was Aaron Hernandez' range when playing opposite a healthy Gronk.

*** All my assumptions of course come with the huge asterisk that Reiman will develop to his potential. We all know that this is not the case for all rookies.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Completely agree. Reiman is the perfect fit for this team as a blocking TE, because we use 12 and 13 personal more than any other team in the league (Raiders might push us down to 2nd, but still).

BUT he was drafted that high due to his athletic upside. He tested in the 2% percentile of any TE in the last 14 years, so no doubt that the coaching staff think he can evolve into the complimental receiver to McBride out of 12 and 13 - otherwise he would never had been drafted this high.
This is the exact explanation of the pick, description of Reiman, reasons for expectations, and understanding of a crucial aspect of the offensive system. What several of us have been trying to tell others for now six months, in many talks, and now all in five sentences. Great job, Bach!

I truly hope that every poster on this board reads it.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You might be correct, but it might make a difference when you have four third's. I'm thinking Maxx Williams.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Just gotta hope they develop Palmer.

However, in a loaded WR draft class we should have been able to get someone who can challenge the Zach Pascal's of the world.

Still have a couple games tho.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giugurta