10 thoughts - Saints game

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh we’ll be much better than last year although it will not impact our won/loss.

I’m expecting a top ten pick and possibly top 5.

A lot of things including turnovers will need to go our way to surprise me.

Basically saying if you are using won/loss as a determining metric for a improved team you are setting the framework for disappointment:)

There are a bunch of metrics where the Cards could/should meaningfully improve. As always, W/L is a blunt instrument. Still, in year 2 of a rebuild (I don't accept that year 1 was just about tearing everything down to the studs), you have to win six or more games.

Cards were 29th in total DVOA, 21st in offensive DVOA, and 32nd in defensive DVOA last year. Should improve meaningfully in all three categories, but I don't require them to be top 10 in any. Probably need to move into middle third of the league in all three.

Cards were 24th in scoring offense, 19th in yardage offense. 31st in Scoring defense, 25th in yardage defense. Probably need to improve in all those by 12 ranks or more.

I'm confused....

You are the poster that posts the weekly snap count after every single game.

Are you seriously telling me that you have never noticed in your posts that the list contains about 40 players and not 22?

Do you not believe the quality of the entire roster impacts the overall play of the team?

You haven't noticed that NFL teams use waay more rotations and not only play their starters.

Do you actually want to go back to having a bunch of pro-bowlers on the team but also having a RB as your starting CB? What does a pro-bowler matter in that scenario?

I mean, that happened for one game. That said, the 2016 Arizona Cardinals had some really good players on it. I'd prefer to have a team with really good players.

I'm usually going to think that the #4 CB doesn't matter unless he's pushing for the #3 job. The difference between a C- fourth corner and a B+ one doesn't have a lot of meaning in outcomes after training camp. Are our top three cornerbacks good? I don't know. Maybe, but maybe not.

Same with backup OG.

We might have good depth at WR, but Greg Dortch is gonna get a ton of reps -- maybe he's good, but maybe not. We have good depth at OL and RB. Our depth at DL is probably around league average.

But that rotation of pass rushers is basura.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are a bunch of metrics where the Cards could/should meaningfully improve. As always, W/L is a blunt instrument. Still, in year 2 of a rebuild (I don't accept that year 1 was just about tearing everything down to the studs), you have to win six or more games.

Cards were 29th in total DVOA, 21st in offensive DVOA, and 32nd in defensive DVOA last year. Should improve meaningfully in all three categories, but I don't require them to be top 10 in any. Probably need to move into middle third of the league in all three.

Cards were 24th in scoring offense, 19th in yardage offense. 31st in Scoring defense, 25th in yardage defense. Probably need to improve in all those by 12 ranks or more.

I mean, that happened for one game. That said, the 2016 Arizona Cardinals had some really good players on it. I'd prefer to have a team with really good players.

I'm usually going to think that the #4 CB doesn't matter unless he's pushing for the #3 job. The difference between a C- fourth corner and a B+ one doesn't have a lot of meaning in outcomes after training camp. Are our top three cornerbacks good? I don't know. Maybe, but maybe not.

Same with backup OG.

We might have good depth at WR, but Greg Dortch is gonna get a ton of reps -- maybe he's good, but maybe not. We have good depth at OL and RB. Our depth at DL is probably around league average.

But that rotation of pass rushers is basura.
I do think year one was about tearing it all down.

But I also expect more than 6 wins this season.

Addition by subtraction is real and in many cases having the right personalities can even trump talent...not for a championship,...definitely need some elite talent for that ...but in building a foundation for a winning team.

We tore it down. Now we need to build it back up. But I expect they will still examine personality types on every player they bring in.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I do think year one was about tearing it all down.

But I also expect more than 6 wins this season.

Addition by subtraction is real and in many cases having the right personalities can even trump talent...not for a championship,...definitely need some elite talent for that ...but in building a foundation for a winning team.

We tore it down. Now we need to build it back up. But I expect they will still examine personality types on every player they bring in.
Year one was about tearing it all down, AND...and bringing in a solid draft class (we hole), AND begin building depth and lesser starters, AND...etc. No one season of NFL football should ever be, "Welp, burn the bitch to the ground and we'll come back after the season, once the dumpster fire has cooled off."

The idea that this was our sole focus last season just isn't true. We are still in agreement on the minimum--and I mean basement minimum, with huge mitigating factors--of 6 wins.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I expect 8+ wins. We have added a lot of young, unproven talent. But we focused on the trenches and we play the right brand of physical football. This should be a big year for Murray, but he needs to stay healthy. It’s a mistake if we don’t go trade for edge help imo.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect 8+ wins. We have added a lot of young, unproven talent. But we focused on the trenches and we play the right brand of physical football. This should be a big year for Murray, but he needs to stay healthy. It’s a mistake if we don’t go trade for edge help imo.
Our schedule has at home:

Commanders
Jets
Bears
Patriots
Chargers

Away:

Panthers

Those are six games we should EXPECT to win. Let's say we do. We need only 3-8 in the other games and we are in playoff contention in week 17.

That's why talk of writing this season off as year two of rebuilding is very irritating to me. We have a QB in his prime and a favorable schedule. The talk should be of playoffs and nothing else.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I disagree, because I do not have the illusion that all draft picks develop into pro-bowlers. I never said Wilson would be a Pro-bowler. I said he looks the part of a starting caliber WR in the NFL.

Keim build this team with High-End talent and fringe players to make the roster. Monti is actual building the depth of the team. The High-end talent is lacking or unproven, but for the first time in forever there is a players that match the talent level of what is being expected for a back-up G, the 4th CB, 3rd ILB etc. for a quality NFL team.
These are the easiest players to sign and/or draft. They are readily available every season. This is a low bar of expectations.

Trystan Colon-Castillo backed up Elijah Wilkerson and played 28.5% of snaps on the season. While you do want him to be close to a league average level, his impact is still minimal in comparison to Wilkerson.

Kei'trel Clark played 41% of snaps. His impact was minimal at best.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Still waiting on an explanation for how we're going to acquire some good to great players, outside of Monti being a draft savant.
Yes, but I will give it until the middle of the year before I go too far into Monti's free agent signings. He was able to find decent value in year 1 with Fro and White...maybe that trend continues with this year's group. If not, and this draft class struggles to make an impact like I think it will, there will be far more pressure Monti.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Commanders
Jets
Bears
Patriots
Chargers

Away:

Panthers

Those are six games we should EXPECT to win. Let's say we do. We need only 3-8 in the other games and we are in playoff contention in week 17.

That's why talk of writing this season off as year two of rebuilding is very irritating to me. We have a QB in his prime and a favorable schedule. The talk should be of playoffs and nothing else.
If Rodgers is still healthy by the time we play the Jets, we definitely should NOT expect to win that game. They’re arguably the toughest team we will play outside of the 9ers & possibly Lions. I think the Bears will be real good.

I think we can beat both Minnesota & Miami on the road.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
100% year one was both getting the type of players they want to set the culture of the team going forward AND having the cap space to move on from Murray if he wasn’t the franchise guy. Now is the team building. I like most of their moves but we should have upgraded Edge in free agency or trade. Still hoping for a trade. Edge is the weakest link. Rest at least has hopium.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a brutal year to get the NFC North and AFC East. The Commanders, Patriots, Vikings and Panthers are the only games I expect to win. Anyone who expects the Jets to be an easy win are fooling themselves. Their QB play was worse than Josh Dobbs the entire season and they still got 7 wins, that Jets team is stacked.

The success of our season depends on one of division rivals getting ravaged by injuries. On paper we should be a 6 or 7 win team, we will see if coaches can get us above that. Analysts I've listened to have our ceiling, if everything goes right, at 9 wins.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Commanders
Jets
Bears
Patriots
Chargers

Away:

Panthers

Agreed.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
it happened in one game, because Keim drafted a RB that had trained 2 months as a CB was the best option as #2 on the CB depth Chart. He was starting because there were No better options!

The team had zero depth. Zero! And as a result you had a RB as a starting CB. You also had a rookie 4th rounder as starting C. Ups… he was horrible(and didn’t start Until his 4th year for another team), so let’s start a practice squad player at center to control the blocking scheme.

This teams lacks stars player. Fact. Maybe some of the massive amount of talent Will develop into that, Maybe not. But the team is no longer Forced into pushing players Not capable to start.

It’s ironic that you are blasting Clark for his play last season when that is the exact same situation as this team’s issue for years that you are defending because there were more star players.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Rams have had a number of REALLY bad drafts. Last years draft was definitely not normal by anyone's standards.

They have found a few, but after some early success they literally went years without finding any good players.

One departure the Rams have from a lot of other NFL teams is that they don't care too much about workout numbers and care more about game tape. Kyren Williams is amongst the worst athletes at RB in the NFL and he was pretty damn good last year.

Eh I don't see a 1st round grade. Not a great athlete and wasn't super productive either. 4th was absolutely a reach for Whittington.
The draft in which they found nakua? We should be so lucky.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Oh we’ll be much better than last year although it will not impact our won/loss.

I’m expecting a top ten pick and possibly top 5.

A lot of things including turnovers will need to go our way to surprise me.

Basically saying if you are using won/loss as a determining metric for a improved team you are setting the framework for disappointment:)
It’s literally the primary measurement metric for sports. If we are picking top 5 in back to back years there’s virtually no way you can say monti is a success thus far.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The team had zero depth. Zero! And as a result you had a RB as a starting CB. You also had a rookie 4th rounder as starting C. Ups… he was horrible(and didn’t start Until his 4th year for another team), so let’s start a practice squad player at center to control the blocking scheme.
Bro what are you talking about? AQ Shipley was the starting center for that 2016 Cards team. We were extremely deep at DL, WR, RB, and more.

Getting Big Mad about the 2016 Arizona Cardinals is deranged.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The draft in which they found nakua? We should be so lucky.
It wasn't just Nacua.

They hit on a starting center (Avila) with high upside, a DT (Kobie Turner) who lead all rookies in sacks, an edge (Byron Young) who had like 8 sacks, and obviously Nacua. That could be like...an all time great draft in their franchise history if all of those guys continue to get better.

Last edited: