15 thoughts - training camp

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My overall thoughts are that this roster may be tougher to crack than some people think. OL really only has two spots open if the Cardinals decide to stick with 10. RB is kinda set. More about how many than who. Same with S. Same with TE.

WR is pretty interesting. 12 dudes for probably 5 or 6 spots. After MHJ, Wilson, and Dortch...it's kinda wide open.

Same with DL. 11 spots for around 6 or so guys.

Same with CB.

Those are probably the three most interesting position groups tho I would add OL because of the perceived talent that could be cut.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
For this year's Lance Long Award (for training camp darling never to be heard from again), my money would be on one of the WRs - Palmer (sixth round pick) or Weaver (UDFA). Seems like WR is the position where people have come out of nowhere mostly often in past camps, and they both have some intriguing characteristics.
While WR is a position that could yield a surprise or two, but then you have to consider the QB who is throwing the pass.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Great pick, Madcard!

I thought about taking DTD, but went in a different direction only because it is easier to stand out if there is no expectations for you. Okay, I don’t know if there are many expectations (from fans and media) for Dante Stills, but at least nobody counts on much from Murphy.

I think that DTD will have a great training camp. I think that he will play his way directly into being a big contributor, and even though I could also see good performances from especially Tip Reiman, I would not be surprised if after training camp we wonder why DTD was not the third-round pick instead of Reiman, Isaiah Adams, Tre Benson and Elijah Jones (not to say anything bad about them).
Hopefully Tip show us why

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
This is why I think they drafted him when they did. I think he has a lot more potential than how he was used in college.
Yup. Offense is run first that uses Multiple TEs more than Any other team.
Having depth at TE is more important to this team than Any other team, so need 3 qualified players.

Tip ia a physical speciment. Huge body, who tested as the (I believe) 3rd best athlecticly among TEs in the last 15 years. He loves to block and Does it Well.

If he Can Pick up the blocking scheme, I Think he Will see the field a lot. As in a lot a lot.

I definately Think that you Can justify using a 3rd rounder on him given How Perfect Tip fits the scheme and the potential upside.

Time Will tell if the Value was right depending on Tip’s development

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if after training camp we wonder why DTD was not the third-round pick instead of Reiman, Isaiah Adams, Tre Benson and Elijah Jones (not to say anything bad about them).
Agree with the exception Benson. I Think he Will be firmly Locked in as the #2 by Camp end.

And I Agree on DTD. This guy has potential Steal written all over him

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My overall thoughts are that this roster may be tougher to crack than some people think. OL really only has two spots open if the Cardinals decide to stick with 10. RB is kinda set. More about how many than who. Same with S. Same with TE.

WR is pretty interesting. 12 dudes for probably 5 or 6 spots. After MHJ, Wilson, and Dortch...it's kinda wide open.

Same with CB.

Those are probably the three most interesting position groups tho I would add OL because of the perceived talent that could be cut.
I agree, it's going to be interesting. I'd say MHJ, Wilson, Dortch, and Zay Jones are locked in with roster spots, meaning those 12 dudes need to play like Helen of Troy with her ass on fire.

DL is going to be interesting to disappointing as we only have lunch pail guys at the position. Unless you count DR as a DL (which I do), and he might be the impact guy that can get push in the middle.

CB? Man, it can be everything from a great room to just as bad as it used to be. We just can't know yet.

It's the most excited I've been for TC in a while.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For this year's Lance Long Award (for training camp darling never to be heard from again)
Gmabel, do you remember when we were let to believe that Brandon Keith were the next Walter Jones? Or that Stephen Williams would be a WR stud? Eli Bouka a true shotdown corner.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like Reiman the player and see the fit.

I don't like the value with McBride already on the roster.
That’s interesting. If he truly does live up to the draft hype regarding his blocking and he can maximize the impressive size to athleticism ratio he possesses I think he ends up being a great value pick for petzig’s offense. It’s almost like he and mcbride will play different positions in this offense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Regarding the Tip pick, there are a couple factors that you have to consider.

1 - The Cardinals utilized 12 and 13 personnel 29.7% of snaps in 2023. 19.6% and 10.1% respectively. 12 pers was 15th most in the NFL. 13 pers was 1st. The top end for good offenses using 12 personnel was Green Bay at 31.6% and then KC at 27.7%. So, even if you see a max increase in multiple TE usage, is a 3rd round pick on a player and in a role that caps at about 38%-40% of offensive snaps worth it?

2 - TE obviously seems like a huge priority in this offense, and Higgins does not offer the full scope of what McBride can do. One could argue the Tip pick has more to do with insulating an important offensive component as much as it has to do with snaps.

Where I fall is 3rd round picks, like a lot of draft picks, are hit or miss. For me, I might have looked elsewhere but I also know the league is thirsty for TEs who can do everything. If you think Tip is a TE who can be that guy it isn't a huge risk.
While it’s reasonable to argue your #1, it may also change dramatically if petzig thinks tip gives him added flexibility that he didn’t have on the roster last year. So that number could rise just as a result of tips addition.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My pick for camp-darling is safety Dadrion Taylor-Demerson. I think he will be flying around during camp and make a couple of big plays that gets everyone fired up.
Man I’d love to see that. Hitting on a fourth round gem would be awesome. Particularly if he’s a ballhawk. I’ve jonesed for an Ed Reed type forever.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Man I’d love to see that. Hitting on a fourth round gem would be awesome. Particularly if he’s a ballhawk. I’ve jonesed for an Ed Reed type forever.
I think 31 other teams have jonesed for an Ed Reed like player. He's the single best FS I've ever seen against the pass and it's not even close.

I watched a video of Eric DeCosta talking about picking Reed. The Ravens 1st round target was actually Napoleon Harris, but he went a few picks earlier to the Ravens. The had lukewarm feelings on Ed Reed but drafted him because he was the next guy on their board.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While it’s reasonable to argue your #1, it may also change dramatically if petzig thinks tip gives him added flexibility that he didn’t have on the roster last year. So that number could rise just as a result of tips addition.
I can see a scenario where Reiman doesn't catch a ton of passes but he seemingly catches a few big ones that are game changing.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm a Tip fan. But let's keep in mind TE is traditionally the slowest position to develop in the nfl... to have McBride develop so fast and then do the same with Tip would be catching lightning in a bottle

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Same with CB.

I love Dortch, but Zay Jones will be WR3, maybe even WR2 if Wilson doesn’t stay healthy. Dortch will do a little of everything this year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a Tip fan. But let's keep in mind TE is traditionally the slowest position to develop in the nfl... to have McBride develop so fast and then do the same with Tip would be catching lightning in a bottle
Tip was drafted because this offense sorely relies on a blocking TE. And McBride is at best an average blocker. I would say slightly below average. And people forget how many holding penalties that McBride had last year. Tip will help this offense immensely.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 31 other teams have jonesed for an Ed Reed like player. He's the single best FS I've ever seen against the pass and it's not even close.
Haha, I had Ravens season tickets for many years when I lived in northern VA.I was at the Bengals game during Reed's rookie season when I swore he was the biggest bum ever and should've been cut immediately for this play! :biglaugh:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
You guys pretty quick to throw dirt on Elijah Higgins' grave! But while I like Higgins, I admit he isn't a great blocker either.

The rook TE will get plenty of reps in the pre-season. I'll be watching him carefully to see if he's really the road-grader everyone says he is!

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
You guys pretty quick to throw dirt on Elijah Higgins' grave! But while I like Higgins, I admit he wasn't a great blocker either.

The rook TE will get plenty of reps in the pre-season. I'll be watching him carefully to see if he's really the road-grader everyone says he is!
I don’t believe anyone throwing dirt on him, But Reiman’s potential is insane and that is Why everyone is intrigued by him