2 Games In. Is it time to reassess the NFC?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think SF is a team that is so focused on the post season, it is treating the first four weeks of the regular season like something in between preseason and "when the games truly matter".

being banged up doesnt help. i also think they are one Trent Williams sprained ankle away from being in real trouble
Being in real trouble of not making a seven-team playoff field? I dunno.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
11th in active cap spending.

This is different than cash spending. Cap spending includes the accounting for deal's like DJ Humphries that have already been paid in the past but are just accelerated into this year (minus the injury settlement).

This includes bonuses paid out that do not all count against the 2024 cap. The 49ers with their two big extensions bloat their total this year.

So 21st in actual cash spent and 11th in active cap cash spent.

Yes. This shows how the Cards are not being aggressive in their spending this season, when it could provide a lot of value. Cash spending to me is more relevant that cap sending to this conversation.

Cap spending = Contract management
Cash spending = Roster construction

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Purdy: Do you believe Purdy elevates an injured team? I certainly don't.
Vikings and Bucs: Yes I believe they are both sub par teams who have outperformed in weeks 1 and 2.
Kirk Cousins. Calling Kirk Cousins mid is not a hot take. That's the normal take
On the Vikings...Kevin O'Connell might be a modern day, young Andy Reid. It's no mistake that he was able to keep the Vikings competitive with Kirk and is making Sam Darnold look the best he ever has. Their facilities are top notch. Their GM is ok (ish). Vikings are a franchise to really watch out for.

For more context.

The 2023 Minnesota Vikings won 7 games in 2023.

8 games from Kirk Cousins.
9 games from Mullens, Dobbs, and a Jaren Hall.
9 games from Justin Jefferson.
Alexander Mattison was their leading RB.
22-14 as a HC.

He is arguably a top 5 HC in the league and definitely a top 10 HC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think SF is a team that is so focused on the post season, it is treating the first four weeks of the regular season like something in between preseason and "when the games truly matter".

being banged up doesnt help. i also think they are one Trent Williams sprained ankle away from being in real trouble
I think they are fine. Injuries at the right spots just make things more difficult.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the Niners have the most talent and depth of any team in the league. They can beat any team in the NFC or AFC.

As for the rest of the NFC, and AFC for that matter, it's still way too early to tell who the pretenders and contenders are. I think we can make a better judgement who is for real after week 5.

Everyone locally is worried about LT Trent Williams. He didn't do anything in camp and had to have TWO IV's during the first game as a result of fatigue. I think the 49ers assumed he could rest and be fine for the season, they even extended him to free up caproom, but first week he was exhausted and had to get the IV's, last week he had the worst game of his 49er career, gave up a sack, 3 near miss sacks.

With the injuries to CMC and Deebo the offense is short handed so they really want to be able to run the ball and rely on the defense, so they need Williams to step it up and nobody is quite sure yet if he still can or if he's too old

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Everyone locally is worried about LT Trent Williams. He didn't do anything in camp and had to have TWO IV's during the first game as a result of fatigue. I think the 49ers assumed he could rest and be fine for the season, they even extended him to free up caproom, but first week he was exhausted and had to get the IV's, last week he had the worst game of his 49er career, gave up a sack, 3 near miss sacks.

With the injuries to CMC and Deebo the offense is short handed so they really want to be able to run the ball and rely on the defense, so they need Williams to step it up and nobody is quite sure yet if he still can or if he's too old
with that being the case...if I were the DC I would take the risk and blitz the left side early and often... get that old man huffing and puffing so bad he cant react to a spin move.
then switch it up and put a single speed guy to his side the rest of the game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

These first 3-4 games are his preseason. He needs to get back into football shape.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This includes bonuses paid out that do not all count against the 2024 cap. The 49ers with their two big extensions bloat their total this year.

So 21st in actual cash spent and 11th in active cap cash spent.
so all those posters that tell me over and over you can't be creative with the cap to burn cap while saving cash are full of poo? Good to know.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
so all those posters that tell me over and over you can't be creative with the cap to burn cap while saving cash are full of poo? Good to know.
Come on man. Everyone knows you be creative with the cap. It's all about how much of the future you want to mortgage.

OT

Also just my opinion but protesting the "neener neener" post after the game is rich. As this is one of those post you post so often.

Stout

Reaction score
Come on man. Everyone knows you be creative with the cap. It's all about how much of the future you want to mortgage.

OT

Also just my opinion but protesting the "neener neener" post after the game is rich. As this is one of those post you post so often.
Are you talking about crow eating posts right after games? You have me confused with another poster, man. That is not my bag. I am generally a pessimist when it comes to the Cards, and that would be like reveling in them sucking, which is really not my bag.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Are you talking about crow eating posts right after games? You have me confused with another poster, man. That is not my bag. I am generally a pessimist when it comes to the Cards, and that would be like reveling in them sucking, which is really not my bag.
No confusion, I guess to me it's the "checks notes" and the "we were told" posts that are in the same category. And just IMO why people like to come at you with the neener neener posts.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
No confusion, I guess to me it's the "checks notes" and the "we were told" posts that are in the same category. And just IMO why people like to come at you with the neener neener posts.
Big difference. I generally keep it general without naming names or @ing; others come straight for me. I mean, it just shows their colors and doesn't actually bother me, but I will chide them for it publicly.

But, hey, if you actually think I'm so nasty and petty as a poster, perhaps I should be more petty and nasty. If one is to be accused of something--and I notice you aren't calling others out for it, just me--might as well earn the reputation, no?