2003 Arizona Cards review on NFL Network...Its Go Time!

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am pumped! Boldin almost broke Pooles neck after he caught the game winner against Minn...

Great shot of Chavous after the loss! LOL Loser!

They have Denny miked at practice...right after Dex Jackson runs away from him to the sidelines (in a ball cap while everyone else is in uniform) Denny says to another coach.."I don't know how you can make the club from the tub...ya know what I mean" Denny in the video was talking about Harris a couple times about have desire and wanting to make the team and know what it takes to make the team...says he is hungry.

Jim O

Reaction score
I thought that they spent way too much time on Coach Green's Nothwestern, Stanford, and Vikings days. They could have told the same story with less stuff. I thought that i was watching a Dennis Green Beyond the Glory show. Sometimes less is more and being concise is key in these types of productions.

They should have focused more on Josh. They should have interviewed him when they were out here for Fan Fest.

Jim O

Reaction score
EndZone said:
It's Go Time

In case anyone didn't know, "It's Go Time" has replaced "Long Live Sunday" as the official tag line for the Cardinals.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
In case anyone didn't know, "It's Go Time" has replaced "Long Live Sunday" as the official tag line for the Cardinals.

I liked "Long Live Sunday"... although... long sundays are something our defense has gotten used to. :)

As for "It's Go Time".... eh... bland... I guess I'm impartial. It strikes me kinda like that WNBA saying "We gots next"... I guess I never really did like that either.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lets get it started! Lets get it Started.. Lets get is started...na na na na na na na na na!!!!!!! nothing is worse than that :)

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:

Great, Proud owner of another outdated shirt. :D

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That show was way too focused on Green. But you know what? If they rock the playoffs in 2004, who gives a shat????????

Go D. Green!!!!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked it! In the middle of it, I hit my cat right between the numbers with a piece of toast. Cat grabbed it in its claws and ran to paydirt.

Let the games begin!!!!!!!

I had no problems with the focus on Denny. It seemed pretty apparent that the team wanted to cast a positive spin on the season, and that they had pretty quickly exhausted the high spots of last season.

Open for debate might be the absence of Coach Mac's speech after the Viking win. I realize that the team wants to wipe the slate clean and look forward, but it would have been a classy and realistic thing to acknowledge Mac's role in the development of this team right up to the point of Denny. After all, the entire team didn't arrive yesterday in a Cracker Jack box. They are, to some degree, a product of what came before - both the good and the bad.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
You know Jeff-- they had Mac's speech in the 2003 review. This was the 2004 look ahead

I didnt mind the Green focus -- it just reminded me that he has made a career of taking bottom of the barrel programs and totally changing the mindset and results. Made me confident in knowing that not only do the Cards have a very credentialed and successful coach, but one with the absolutely perfect skillset (and experience) for the task at hand.

Not to be too cynical, but it made me think that we now have the immovable object (the Cardinals) meeting the irresistable force (Green) -- lets see who wins

BTW-- in it they had two Fitz highlights from Pitt that I had not seen before --

and they were possibly two of the most difficult catches I have seen made, very impressive

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
... it would have been a classy and realistic thing to acknowledge Mac's role in the development of this team right up to the point of Denny. After all, the entire team didn't arrive yesterday in a Cracker Jack box...

Jeff:

"The development of this team?" The show did Dave McGinnis a favor by not dwelling on the Cardinals' steady decline during his tenure as head coach. Let's review:

2001 7 wins 9 losses 20th pts scored 22nd pts allowed
2002 5 wins 11 losses 29th pts scored 29th pts allowed
2003 4 wins 12 losses 32nd pts scored 32nd pts allowed

Mac was a pleasant, engaging guy who accomplished very little in his only stint as an NFL head coach. What about his three-plus years as HC of the Cards merits re-examination? :confused:

WC

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
en fuego said:
I didnt mind the Green focus -- it just reminded me that he has made a career of taking bottom of the barrel programs and totally changing the mindset and results.

EF:

No, he hasn't. Not in the NFL, at least, where the only HC entry on his resume is with the Minnesota Vikings (1992-2001).

Let's remember that Minnesota, in six seasons under Jerry Burns (1986-91): went 52-43; had only one losing season; reached the playoffs three times; were .500 in playoff games (3-3); and reached the NFC Championship game in 1987, losing 17-10 to a Redskins team that went on to beat Denver 42-10 in the Super Bowl. In Burns' last season, the 1991 Vikes were 8-8, ranked 14th for both yards gained and yards allowed, and sent three players--Steve Jordan, Randall McDaniel and Henry Thomas--to the Pro Bowl.

"Bottom of the barrel?" Not exactly.

WC

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I guess the reference was more to the programs at Northwestern and Stanford

-- as well as having a front seat to Bill Walsh's program to turn the 49ers around in '79

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
EF:

No, he hasn't. Not in the NFL, at least, where the only HC entry on his resume is with the Minnesota Vikings (1992-2001).

Let's remember that Minnesota, in six seasons under Jerry Burns (1986-91): went 52-43; had only one losing season; reached the playoffs three times; were .500 in playoff games (3-3); and reached the NFC Championship game in 1987, losing 17-10 to a Redskins team that went on to beat Denver 42-10 in the Super Bowl. In Burns' last season, the 1991 Vikes were 8-8, ranked 14th for both yards gained and yards allowed, and sent three players--Steve Jordan, Randall McDaniel and Henry Thomas--to the Pro Bowl.

WC

I think I've already asked you this, but who would you have hired?
Just saying that "he's not the guy," so to speak, doesn't really do toooo much for discussion. Just my $.02

mary

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
EF:

WC
DG turned that team around it did not have a winning record the 2 years before he got there and had not made the playoffs. He got there wins the division and gets 11 wins. That is a big turnaround.

BTW an NFL team changes every year. He didn't have the same team as last year any year he coached there. His teams had better records then they should have. Even the 15 team win overachieved to get that and he built that team many of the key pieces there were brought in by DG. In 2000 he took a team all the pundits and experts expected to get to 6 wins at best to an NFC final.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I think I've already asked you this, but who would you have hired? Just saying that "he's not the guy," so to speak, doesn't really do toooo much for discussion. Just my $.02

S11:

I never said that Dennis Green's "not the guy." Sorry if I've been unclear. If you search my posts from back when the post-McGinnis hiring debate was going on, you'll see that I preferred Tom Coughlin, also liked Green, and never thought the Cardinals would be willing to pay enough to get either of them. I was and remain pleased to have been wrong on that last point, and think Green is clearly the best head coach the Cardinals have hired since moving to Arizona. (I know, damning with faint praise.)

The point I've been trying to make recently is that Green, talented though he is, has never taken a professional team as bad as the 2003 Cardinals and turned them around in a single season. The Vikings team he inherited in Minnesota was significantly better in both roster talent and recent performance. And his first-year results in 1992 of three additional wins and a 24-7 loss in the NFC wildcard game don't look like miracle-working to me. (Especially since the Vikes regressed to 9-7 the following season, with another wildcard elimination.)

I guess I'm just skeptical of predicting 10-6 records and playoff appearances for the 2004 Cardinals. Talk's cheap. And I think we all remember what happened the last time the Cards hired a high-profile HC who started talking about being a winner as soon as he hit town.

So I'd be cautious around the punchbowl, and remember what Green has really accomplished in this league as a head coach. And what he hasn't.

WC

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
S11:

I never said that Dennis Green's "not the guy." Sorry if I've been unclear. If you search my posts from back when the post-McGinnis hiring debate was going on, you'll see that I preferred Tom Coughlin, also liked Green, and never thought the Cardinals would be willing to pay enough to get either of them. I was and remain pleased to have been wrong on that last point, and think Green is clearly the best head coach the Cardinals have hired since moving to Arizona. (I know, damning with faint praise.)

The point I've been trying to make recently is that Green, talented though he is, has never taken a professional team as bad as the 2003 Cardinals and turned them around in a single season. The Vikings team he inherited in Minnesota was significantly better in both roster talent and recent performance. And his first-year results in 1992 of three additional wins and a 24-7 loss in the NFC wildcard game don't look like miracle-working to me. (Especially since the Vikes regressed to 9-7 the following season, with another wildcard elimination.)

I guess I'm just skeptical of predicting 10-6 records and playoff appearances for the 2004 Cardinals. Talk's cheap. And I think we all remember what happened the last time the Cards hired a high-profile HC who started talking about being a winner as soon as he hit town.

So I'd be cautious around the punchbowl, and remember what Green has really accomplished in this league as a head coach. And what he hasn't.

WC

Who you pulling for when the Cards play the fins wc? hmmmm?

David Boston (giggle)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
A couple of things about the preview that I really noticed.

1. Greens offense set the NFL record for points scored in a season one year. Thats pretty impressive, and makes believe that it is at least possible that we'll have a top five offense.

2. Green said that he enjoys the challenge of building underdogs into winners. Man, this is the ultimate for him then. The unmovable object meets the irresistible force. If he can turn this franchise into a perennial winner, he should get the nobel prize. :D

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
Greens offense set the NFL record for points scored in a season one year. Thats pretty impressive, and makes believe that it is at least possible that we'll have a top five offense.

CW:

That's true, the 1998 Minnesota Vikings set a record for points scored with 556. Their defense was pretty good, too, ranked 6th for points allowed (although only 15th for yards allowed).

But that was Dennis Green's seventh season as head coach in Minnesota, not his first. It followed three years (1995-97) where the Vikings' cumulative regular-season record was 26-22 and their offense was ranked anywhere from 4th to 23rd in points scored. And of the Vikes' nine Pro Bowlers that season, three--Cris Carter, Randall McDaniel, and John Randle--predated Green's tenure with the club, and it had taken seven years to accumulate the others: Ed McDaniel-1992; Jeff Christy and Robert Smith-1993; Todd Steussie-1994; Randall Cunningham-1997; and Randy Moss-1998.

It takes time and talent to produce a top five offense, let alone a record-setting team like the '98 Vikings. More time than a single offseason, and more talent than the Cardinals have assembled.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? I'd bet the under.

WC

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it.

My Son called me after it was aired and said he was stoked and quite frankly so was I.
My observations:
*DG seems to believe his offensive scheme is impossible to stop. He praises McCown on his reads and reminds him that the offensive scheme will get them to where they want to go. I found it interesting when Green tells McCown, " WE will force them to play cover 2".
*Watching Marcel Shipp run makes me believe this guy will be our horse. Say what you want about Emmitt being the starter. The key here is Green will UTILIZE Smith AND Marcel.
*IS Q A STUD OR WHAT? Adding Fitz is the key that will open up this offense. When DG was hired we stated that we will have an offensive philosophy of jab, jab, jab, then deliver a knock out punch. Bryant Johnson and Freddie Jones are going to be HUGE benifactors of the jab,jab,jab part.
*Green hints that the defense will be our "downfall".

Wildcard, I understand your caution about DG and the new regime. I agree it is going to take more than 1 year. However, you can't deny DG's accomplishments just because the Vikings were not as rundown as this club. You stated from 95- 97 the Vikings went 26-22 and ranking 4th to 23rd in points scored. We went 15-33!!! and I'm sure NEVER ranked ABOVE 23rd in pts scored. But of all the things Dennis Green has or hasn't done, the biggest thing that stands out is this. Through it all he kept the Vikings competitive even while retooling his club. In todays game, THAT is incredible.

One thing is certain. This team will be entertaining and that is something we haven't been able to say in a long time!

spanky1

Reaction score
Just finished watching the show.......ain't TiVO grand.

My observations:
#1: McCown has ALL the tools to be a resounding success.......and will be. This offense will move the chains and will turn opponents heads.
#2: Adrian Wilson will have a breakout season. He seems to be moving up in Green's estimation.
#3: If (and I agree, it's a big if) Starks can remain healthy, we might not be in that bad of shape at CB. Macklin is going to be a positive surprise for us. Hill is underrated and is a very good #3.
#4: Shipp will get lots of playing time and will perform well.
#5: This team seems to have been able to "check their ego's at the door". My sense is that there will be a real good comaraderie and strong bonds with this team. Boldin is the definite team leader.....pretty amazing that a player can reach this level of status in one year.......on any team!
#6: Dennis Green is a real CHARACTER. He sure has big cahounas.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
Wildcard, I understand your caution about DG and the new regime. I agree it is going to take more than 1 year. However, you can't deny DG's accomplishments just because the Vikings were not as rundown as this club. You stated from 95- 97 the Vikings went 26-22 and ranking 4th to 23rd in points scored. We went 15-33!!! and I'm sure NEVER ranked ABOVE 23rd in pts scored.

Slanidrac:

You're close. Vince Tobin's 7-9 Cardinals team in 1996 was ranked 22nd in points scored, and an even-better 13th in yards gained. (Interestingly, that was essentially even with Dennis Green's 1996 Vikings, which were ranked 23rd and 12th, respectively. Go figure.)

Here's what I think Green's accomplishments were in Minnesota. He compiled an enviable 97-62 record during that ten year period and took his team to the playoffs in eight of those seasons. He did it with seven different QBs, four different leading rushers, and three different leading receivers, proving that his offensive success didn't depend on one or two specific players at the skill positions. His teams were almost always exciting to watch, won more often than they lost, and usually looked well-prepared and motivated. If he has anything like those long-term results in Arizona, I think that most Cardinals fans will be very happy. I know I will.

But--despite motivational ploys and/or PR hype--I believe, as you do, that "it is going to take more than 1 year," for a variety of reasons. Let's hope it happens sooner, rather than later. :thumbup:

WC