2005 #1 Overall Pick

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Chijioke Onyenegecha, CB, Oklahoma.
First time ever a corner will go #1.

It's not too early to start working on those 2005 mocks!

Could be, but if he declares, Missouri QB Brad Smith will be the #1 pick. Picture Michael Vick if he were 6'4" and even faster.

QBs always get the benefit of doubt over other positions, and this guy is just insanely good. 60% completions, 36-to-13 td-int ratio, 1406 rushing yards and 18 TDs. As a sophomore. On a bad team. He also ran for 1000 yards as a freshman, a true freshman.

He had 291 rushing yards (with 5 scores) against Texas Tech, 136 against Texas A&M.

If mccown blows as much as I think he's going to, we could end up picking this guy.

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
dammit i knew someone would beat me to it!

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
jolt said:
Could be, but if he declares, Missouri QB Brad Smith will be the #1 pick. Picture Michael Vick if he were 6'4" and even faster.

QBs always get the benefit of doubt over other positions, and this guy is just insanely good. 60% completions, 36-to-13 td-int ratio, 1406 rushing yards and 18 TDs. As a sophomore. On a bad team. He also ran for 1000 yards as a freshman, a true freshman.

He had 291 rushing yards (with 5 scores) against Texas Tech, 136 against Texas A&M.

If mccown blows as much as I think he's going to, we could end up picking this guy.
He's solid.

Here's another name for the future... Southern Miss QB Damion Carter. He's a sophmore this year.

Last edited:

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
jolt said:

Think Michael Vick but slower and with nowhere near the arm strength or accuracy. Brad Smith is a good runner and an average at best thrower. He's a first round pick, probably, but not the next great thing. Don't ever put someone ahead of Vick. Vick took his team to the National Championship game as a sophmore and then went number one overall. Don't try to put Brad Smith in that ballpark yet.

And as much as you all seem to hate him, Andrew Walter will likely be the first QB taken in next year's draft if he stays healthy. ASU may not be as good as you'd like them to be, but he is the prototypical QB, and even in a bad year last year, put up impressive numbers. Hate him all you want, he's the first QB off the board next year.

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Right, because vick's Virginia Tech team wasn't significantly better than the crap Smith has to play with in Missouri.

The guy has 2500 rushing yards in two years as a 20 year old kid with no help at all. Sounds like we've got a bitter husker fan on our hands if you think he's slow.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
jolt said:

Then why don't we draft a QB this year?

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
jolt said:
Right, because vick's Virginia Tech team wasn't significantly better than the crap Smith has to play with in Missouri.

The guy has 2500 rushing yards in two years as a 20 year old kid with no help at all. Sounds like we've got a bitter husker fan on our hands if you think he's slow.

Vick's team was far better than Smith's. Good enough that there were a bunch of times Vick didn't see the field in the second half. And there were other players making big plays. Smith has great numbers, no doubt. But when you truly watch them both, he doesn't have what Vick had. In two years at Va Tech, Vick was 20-1. Good team or not, you just knew that he had something special when he got there. Smith is a physical freak, but he doesn't shout Hall of Famer and Super Bowl champ like Vick did at that age.

I'm not saying he's slow, or that he is bad, but there is a big difference between the two. Smith may turn out to be a great NFL QB, but I don't see the total package yet.

And for the record, there is no college I despise more than the Huskers.

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BuckeyeCardinal said:
Then why don't we draft a QB this year?

You're preaching to the choir. McCown was dreadful last season and everyone seems to be conveniently forgetting that just because Green is in town.

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lrk27 said:
Vick's team was far better than Smith's. Good enough that there were a bunch of times Vick didn't see the field in the second half. And there were other players making big plays. Smith has great numbers, no doubt. But when you truly watch them both, he doesn't have what Vick had. In two years at Va Tech, Vick was 20-1. Good team or not, you just knew that he had something special when he got there. Smith is a physical freak, but he doesn't shout Hall of Famer and Super Bowl champ like Vick did at that age.

I'm not saying he's slow, or that he is bad, but there is a big difference between the two. Smith may turn out to be a great NFL QB, but I don't see the total package yet.

And for the record, there is no college I despise more than the Huskers.

Well I think you're right about vick having a better arm but personally I don't think there's a better overall athlete in college football right now than brad smith. Everything about him, including his lanky frame, reminds me of randall cunningham.....a good athlete at a bad school doing a little bit of everything.