2005 Warner vs 2013 Palmer

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some of you are excited about the possibility of Palmer and some detest the idea. It reminds me a little of 2005 when we signed Warner and alot of people thought he was a has-been. What are your thoughts on Carson Palmer as a current prospect vs the Kurt Warner of 2005 who had been cast aside by NY and signed a 1 year contract with the Cards. Warner was 34 at the time while Palmer is 33. Warner was 6'2" 218 lbs while Palmer is 6'5" 235 lbs.

Here is their injury History.
http://www.kffl.com/player/1765/nfl/injury_history/kurt-warner
http://www.kffl.com/player/5892/nfl/injury_history/carson-palmer

Here are their stats for the previous year 2004 Warner & 2012 Palmer

Year G GS Cmp Att Cmp% YdsWarner
2004 10 9 174 277 62.8 2054
Palmer
2012 15 15 345 565 61.1 4018
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Year TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/AWarner
2004 6 2.2 4 1.4 62 7.4 7.2
Palmer
2012 22 3.9 14 2.5 64 7.1 6.8
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Year Y/C Y/G Rate Sk YdsWarner
2004 11.8 205.4 86.5 39 196
Palmer
2012 11.6 267.9 85.3 26 199

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love Palmer here he actually had a good year last year especially when you consider what he had to work with.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If they waive Palmer I see no reason why the Raiders don't draft Geno Smith.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wouldn't expect much from him but for a good price id let him compete with Hoyer and Stanton.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I believe that BA would also like to have Palmer here to compete with Stanton. That might make a decent QB pair to go into 2013 with. Two big strong guys who have both been around and know what is coming. If both would want to play for BA, I would be more than happy to have both. That makes us better at QB, and much deeper, pushing Hoyer back to 3rd on the roster. They might even be able to work a deal with Pittsburgh, who has been wanting Hoyer to back up Rothlisberger. Another draft pick couldn't hurt anything.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Warner thing won't happen again, especially to the team that had Warner during his re-rise. :D Same with the Patriots, they'll never see another Superbowl being led by a different 6th round draft pick. Come on now, let's take all the data out there available, not just one fluke revival. Palmer will never make a Superbowl, not even if he was on the Patriots. He declines every year like the Republican Party. :p

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Drew Stanton is our starting QB like it or not.
Yup and I'm wearing tank tops all season long, hardcore fan style. If they see me on TV wearing a tank top in one of our December games, I hope the announcer can figure it out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Palmer is brought in, it's not to "comptete" with Drew Stanton. He'll be the starter.

I can't believe some are drinking the kool-aid on Stanton. The guy has been around 6-7 years and not once been a starting QB. But now that he's in Arizona, and Arians says he like him, he can all of a sudden be a viable starting QB :confused:. There's a reason he signed with the Cards for backup money.

Within 2 years, John Skelton has done more than Stanton has done in his entire career. I would expect Stanton's level of play to be very similar, or worse, than what we had in Skelton.

Palmer would be the clear #1 and it wouldn't even be close.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If Palmer is brought in, it's not to "comptete" with Drew Stanton. He'll be the starter.

I can't believe some are drinking the kool-aid on Stanton. The guy has been around 6-7 years and not once been a starting QB. But now that he's in Arizona, and Arians says he like him, he can all of a sudden be a viable starting QB :confused:. There's a reason he signed with the Cards for backup money.

Within 2 years, John Skelton has done more than Stanton has done in his entire career. I would expect Stanton's level of play to be very similar, or worse, than what we had in Skelton.

This. Stanton and Hoyer would compete for the #2. A rookie then could wait until next season when someone like Georgia's Murray enters into the NFL. Much better class next season. This year we can build up the team with a couple eventual starters the first three picks, at least.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...on-murray-clearly-acting-the-part-of-a-leader

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I agree, I don't expect much from Stanton. I also don't think our QB situation could get worse that it has been.

Palmer would the best QB we have had not named Warner in along long time. Some of you saying Palmer can't get us to a SB? Seriously? It's going to take a maricle to make the playoff at this point. A SB?

Palmer would make this team atleast have a fighting chance evey week. We can search for the QBOF over the next few years and still have a team to enjoy.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Palmer's available, it all boils down to: Can he still make all the throws? Can he still make all the reads? How many snaps does he have left? Can we afford him?

My gut says: "If he's 90% of what he once was, Palmer would be a more promising option than Stanton, Hoyer or Skelton. (But that's a big "if").

If Palmer were to come here, I'm trying to figure out the status of Stanton and Hoyer. I can't see both of them as backups. you'd figure one would have to go, but that would mean our #3 would either be Lindley or a draft pick with Skelton a longshot (& that's a bit scary).

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think Carson Palmer will eventually be released. Adam Shefter has already tweeted that he's unwilling to restructure his contract and the rebuilding Ray-duhs aren't going to pay him $28 million over the next two years. That's a clear signal that at some point, the Ray-duhs will cut him and move forward with Tyrell Pryor (sp.), probably sometime around the draft.

He'd obviously be an upgrade over what is on the Cardinals roster, but the $64,000 question is "How much money would it take to sign him?"
The other question: "Is Cleveland interested?"

I don't see the Cardinals breaking the bank to sign him. Something in the neighborhood of $4-6 million might be feasible. If he wants more than that, he's not affordable IMO.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Yup and I'm wearing tank tops all season long, hardcore fan style. If they see me on TV wearing a tank top in one of our December games, I hope the announcer can figure it out.

We should make tanktop jerseys with the name, "Tank DeSeazon" on the back.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, at least Stanton has been described as accurate, a term never used in addressing Skelton's abilities.

I'm in favour of any QB who can give us over 4000 yards and a two-to-one TD to interception ratio.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stanton has spent his career on teams with 1st round draft picks that will always start first.

That being said, I wanted Carson over kolb.

OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In todays market everything is 50% off.

Also, according to Jerecki, Palmer doesn't want anything to do with the browns.

He seems like a principle guy. I see him wanting to play in the West which is ideal for Arizona if they want him. I can easily see him walking away from the game if he cant find a situation and pay that works for him. I could see BA convincing him to come here if he wanted him. There would have to be some serious performance clauses to get that deal to work for both parties.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I too like Palmer over anyone on this current roster, but to compare him to KW in 05 is kinda nuts. KW had 2 SBs and played on a great team. Palmer has not even been to a SB or played on any good team. In fact, the Bengals got good when he left.

OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I too like Palmer over anyone on this current roster, but to compare him to KW in 05 is kinda nuts. KW had 2 SBs and played on a great team. Palmer has not even been to a SB or played on any good team. In fact, the Bengals got good when he left.

I think the mixed feelings for them is similar. We forget that Warner was considered damaged goods by the time he came here. For many, we were not obtaining the SuperBowl MVP just a 34 year old has been. Obviously things turned out pretty well. I think the parallel is valid (even if the players aren't) because I am sure BA would draw the comparison when recruiting Palmer.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer, Stanton and a QB from this draft and we would be light years ahead of last year. Actually the last few years.