2006 World Cup

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on watching US v. Italy at the Chicago Brauhaus here in Chicago. All you can eat brats and sauerkrat during the match!!!

I hope it is close for at least a half.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I agree now on McBride, he is supposed to be great at headers (he stinks at the feeds and play on the ground) and he didn't win a single header in the box, not a single one. That is disgraceful! He needs to sit but Arenas loves him, like you have said.

I agree that McBride is a bit old, but we absolutely have to start him. He is our best striker and wicked in the air in the box when the ball is actually played into the box. You're mistaken in criticizing him too much, though, because we clearly did NOT service the ball into the box. I can't remember a single header into the box during that game. In fact, we were playing our corners short, which pissed me off to no end....at least serve it into the box and TRY to make something happen!!!

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeno said:
One last thing--Eric Wynalda does an excellent job in the studio. He's perfectly suited to give analysis and is always dead on.
I agree, Wynalda has done a great job, he has been a lot better than a lot of the other WC analysts on ESPN.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Stout said:
I agree that McBride is a bit old, but we absolutely have to start him. He is our best striker and wicked in the air in the box when the ball is actually played into the box. You're mistaken in criticizing him too much, though, because we clearly did NOT service the ball into the box. I can't remember a single header into the box during that game. In fact, we were playing our corners short, which pissed me off to no end....at least serve it into the box and TRY to make something happen!!!

There were about 8 balls played into the box and McBride won 0. Unacceptable. We don't have much else at forward but McBride has really declined of late, except for that goal vs. Venezuela.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Zeno said:
The US came out in a 4-5-1 with the lone forward being McBride. Donovan played in the space between the MF and Forwards but was still tactically considered a MF albeit an attacking one.

They listed him in the starting lineups as a forward whereas they showed the Czechs as having 5 middies and 1 striker in Koller. Do you have the tape, I don't but I do remember distinctly that he was playing forward. Not that it makes a big deal but he was playing there for the 1st half.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
There were about 8 balls played into the box and McBride won 0. Unacceptable. We don't have much else at forward but McBride has really declined of late, except for that goal vs. Venezuela.

How about 8 quality serves into the box? 8 halfway decent serves? No. I cannot count 1. We kicked short corners and barely tried to lob it into the box. We didn't get him the service, it's that simple. Yes, I agree that I wish we had better options, but give him some credit. He was the player of the year for a Premiership team...he still has something left in the tank, and he's about all we have to go with up there.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
England game kicks off in 5 hours

will be getting out of work early and will be pi$$ed by half time, have the day off booked tmrw so can have a lie in too - COME ON ENGLAND

Wayne Rooney might be on the bench too! G Neville is out though!

i think that even if Rooney makes it he shouldnt be risked unless we are not winning with about 20 minutes to go!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
English on tour said:
i think that even if Rooney makes it he shouldnt be risked unless we are not winning with about 20 minutes to go!

You about called that right.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im sure youve seen the commercial of the two kids picking teams with great players. Who is the one player the kid picks and the other kid laughs as if its impossible but the guy shows up and even the other greats are like 'oh my god its so and so'. Who is that?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Im sure youve seen the commercial of the two kids picking teams with great players. Who is the one player the kid picks and the other kid laughs as if its impossible but the guy shows up and even the other greats are like 'oh my god its so and so'. Who is that?

Franz Beckenbauer, Captain of Germany when they won the WC in 1974. He is currently the president of the German Football Federation--I think or head of the WC organizing committee. He also played for New York Cosmos of the old NASL.

Zidane also selects an old player, Platini who was France's greatest player from the early 1980's.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Franz Beckenbauer, Captain of Germany when they won the WC in 1974. He is currently the president of the German Football Federation--I think or head of the WC organizing committee. He also played for New York Cosmos of the old NASL.

Zidane also selects an old player, Platini who was France's greatest player from the early 1980's.

My father and I always watch the commercial together and he was convinced that it was Ricardo Carvahlo.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Franz Beckenbauer most influential man in soccer probably. Should be the FIFA president anytime he decides that he wants that job.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
My father and I always watch the commercial together and he was convinced that it was Ricardo Carvahlo.

You can watch that commercial online at adidas.com/soccer....its Michel Platini, France's all time leading goal scorer.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I really, really, really hope England gets knocked out in the next round. I was there last week, during their opening game. I would love nothing more than the comfort of knowing there are frowns on all of their smug faces. As a proud American, I root for the underdog. Was hoping T&T could pull it off today. I can't believe I am actually watching soccer. :( How many more days till football season?

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
dogpoo32 said:
I really, really, really hope England gets knocked out in the next round. I was there last week, during their opening game. I would love nothing more than the comfort of knowing there are frowns on all of their smug faces. As a proud American, I root for the underdog. Was hoping T&T could pull it off today. I can't believe I am actually watching soccer. :( How many more days till football season?

:slap:

erm yeah cheers matey!

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
English on tour said:
:slap:

erm yeah cheers matey!

Haha, I'm not as angry or against England as my alcohol induced post shows. I just got tired of hearing every news station talk about Wayne Rooney. Zarqawi's death was sandwiched between two stories about Rooney and his Dr. visit. Part of me is jealous that our team looked like crap in our first game, and part of me just doesn't like soccer... But I can't stop watching.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
And when most of the favorites are struggling to win a single game, Argentina is cruising right now... currently 6-0 against Serbia-Montenegro.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ollie said:
And when most of the favorites are struggling to win a single game, Argentina is cruising right now... currently 6-0 against Serbia-Montenegro.

Didn't Serbia & Montenegro give up less goals than anyone during European qualifiers? If so thats even more impressive.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Didn't Serbia & Montenegro give up less goals than anyone during European qualifiers? If so thats even more impressive.
IIRC, S&M gave up only one goal against Spain and was the best defense in qualifying. And Argentina has been really impressive on offensive phases against them. For example, 1st and 2nd goals came after long passing sequences that disorganised the whole serbian team.
Best team of the tournament by far, for now...

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just saw a few minutes of the Ivory Coast/Netherlands game. It was very entertaining. Lots of shots and nice plays.