OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Renz said:
Mexico 0-0 Angola. :D

Yep, if Angola beats Iran and Portugal beats Mexico it will come down to goal differential if Mexico even advances out of the group! Thats assuming of course Portugal takes care of business tomorrow.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mexico is very average once they leave Azteca where they have the refs in their pocket.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
Mexico is very average once they leave Azteca where they have the refs in their pocket.

Not to mention the altitude and pollution that take your breath away.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
krepitch said:
I just saw a few minutes of the Ivory Coast/Netherlands game. It was very entertaining. Lots of shots and nice plays.

It sucks that CIV isn't going on to the next round. They are probably my favorite team to watch. I think they will be a top 5 team by the time the next cup rolls around. They could have easily beaten the Dutch.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Let me revise my original post, I didn't realize I had left Donovan out for one thing.

I have always thought that Bocanegra was a righty. If he is a lefty, you're probably right. I would put him at left, keep my sweepers and put Cherundolo at right. I opt for Bocanegra in over Albright because of Bocanegra's ability on header's and I think that Cherundolois a more skilled player than Lewis, despite his size.

Beasley has gamebreaker ability but that is at LMF, Arenas is plain dumb for putting him at RMF. Beasley's effort had me angry but he is still a good player.

Donovan was playing forward yesterday, you are wrong about that. In the second half he was moved, but the first half he had 0 impact on the game playing as the second forward, save drawing that yellow.

I agree now on McBride, he is supposed to be great at headers (he stinks at the feeds and play on the ground) and he didn't win a single header in the box, not a single one. That is disgraceful! He needs to sit but Arenas loves him, like you have said.

Here is my revised lineup. Same deal as last time.

Forwards: McBride* EJ

Middies: O'Brien Donovan Reyna Dempsey

Defense: Bocanegra Pope Onyewu Cherundolo

Keeper: Keller

* I can see Wolff or even Dempsey starting up here, if Dempsey plays there then O'Brien will be a sub and Beasley will probably start.

I was correct on the strating line-up except insert Convey for O'Brien (WEAK!). This line-up was showed on a Fox Soccer Net program, the one with the three guys that review the games.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Ghana did their part, now the US needs a win. It will be tough considering we have never beaten Italy or won a WC match in Europe, but our opportunity is there.

At least we won't be eliminated today no matter what happens.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So Ghana wins 2-0. Sets up a HUGE game today for the US. While they cannot be "sent home" today, a win ties up the group at 3 apiece. I wonder how the stats look as far as first goal wins...

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
After Ghana scored, ABC showed the first-goal record as 26-2-2. It's unfortunate for Ghana that they didn't score more. They could've easily added two more after the Czechs went down to ten men.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Ghana just gave us life.

time to take advantage of it

Ghana should hae scored at least 4 or 5

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Renz said:
Ghana did their part, now the US needs a win. It will be tough considering we have never beaten Italy or won a WC match in Europe, but our opportunity is there.

There is a first time for everything. This year was the first time the US finished first in the CONCACAF Qualifiers.

The whole key is for the US to come out strong and score first. If Italy scores first the US is done.

I'm hoping we see a new attitude from start to finish...attack, attack, attack..put Italy on their heels but be cautious of the counterattack.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ghana victory gives us hope!

And it looks like the US is attacking.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow - the red card to Mastroeni for basically a tackle. And people wonder why it is so difficult for the US to win in international competition. These guys have been watching the NBA refs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
Wow - the red card to Mastroeni for basically a tackle. And people wonder why it is so difficult for the US to win in international competition. These guys have been watching the NBA refs.

And another reason why the U.S. will never embrase soccer.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Zeno said:
There is a first time for everything. This year was the first time the US finished first in the CONCACAF Qualifiers.

The whole key is for the US to come out strong and score first. If Italy scores first the US is done.

I'm hoping we see a new attitude from start to finish...attack, attack, attack..put Italy on their heels but be cautious of the counterattack.
The US did not score first, but now that it is 1-1 and the ref made sure it was even for the second half, the US is indeed done, IMO.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Playing for the tie was as good as a loss. Admittedly it is always tough for the US in a World Cup (hey, the Italians had it handed to them and still couldn't do it) but they are headed home. The got their break with the Ghana win, but lost it right back with the tie (loss) tonight. And Beasley is just bad.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just realized that the US-Ghana match is before the Italy-Czech match. Which means IF the US beats Ghana, Italy will lay down against Czech and they will both be in. Perhaps that is a cynical view, but that is how politics and sports go together.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
And another reason why the U.S. will never embrase soccer.

If this is the first game an American watches, he or she is not going to understand it or like it.

I hate to complain about officiating, but that was pretty stupid. I always thought that red cards were rare - similar to major penalties in hockey or flagrant fouls in basketball. Elbowing a guy in the face should get a severe penalty, but the red card for the sliding tackle was bizarre. I didn't even think that warranted a yellow card. :(

I give credit to the US team, though, for not folding after the Italian goal. They were dominating until that point and that goal could have just devastated them.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
Playing for the tie was as good as a loss. Admittedly it is always tough for the US in a World Cup (hey, the Italians had it handed to them and still couldn't do it) but they are headed home. The got their break with the Ghana win, but lost it right back with the tie (loss) tonight. And Beasley is just bad.

Why the hell would you not play Johnson in for McBride with about 15-20 minutes left? He can at least run at the tired Italian defenders. McBride was completely ineffective after about 50-60 minutes or so. I blame that 100% on Arena.

Now we have to win and Italy has to win in order for us to advance. Had we won we wouldn't have to care about that Italy/Czech match and would control our own fates...I'm even more pissed in that I won't even be able to watch the game against Ghana (stupid work!).

I'm assuming with Mastroeni and Pope missing the next game Bocanegra will shift to the middle, Lewis will be the left back and Johnson will move up front(or at least I hope so). The midfield otherwise will stay the same with Convey on the left(he played very good soccer today), Reyna and Donovan in the middle and Dempsey on the right(he also played well).

Ghana will be tough but they aren't unbeatable.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
I just realized that the US-Ghana match is before the Italy-Czech match. Which means IF the US beats Ghana, Italy will lay down against Czech and they will both be in. Perhaps that is a cynical view, but that is how politics and sports go together.

I don't think so..... If Italy looses that game they'll qualify with the 2 seed.... this makes a big difference in the team they'll play in the second round. Could they do it? sure they can..... but it would be stupid.